USAA renters insurance review
You might not find better value for coverage with all the included perks as long as you’re eligible.
- Get a quote if you enjoy excellent customer service, free perks and a fair premium.
- Pick something else if you’re not eligible for coverage.
- Current military service members, veterans and their families can apply.
All 50 states
- Highly rated by J.D. Power
- Belongings covered everywhere
- Additional coverage and perks included
- Fair rates
- 24/7 mobile claims reporting
- Military-affiliated members only
|New home discount discount||No|
|New homeowner discount||No|
|Home safety features discount||Yes|
|New policy discount||No|
|No claims discount||Yes|
|Personal property coverage||Yes|
|Valuable personal property||Yes|
|Identity theft coverage||No|
Sarah George is an insurance writer at Finder who’s penned over 400 articles, unraveling complicated topics about car, home and life insurance. Her insurance know-how has been featured in online publications, including Breeze, CBS, CNET and Reviews.com, as well as Finder’s YouTube channel. Sarah is working to become a Certified Educator in Personal Finance (CEPF).
USAA lands at the top of the insurance industry for its customer satisfaction across many types of insurance, including renters. Its renters policies offer broad coverage from basic liability to flood coverage included at no extra cost, to accidental damage of someone else’s belongings.
You can even add accidental computer damage to the mix. These are options you won’t find with most other companies, and USAA includes most of it for free.
Of course, you have to be a military service member, veteran or family to become a member first. But if that’s you, compare a USAA quote alongside the benefits of other renters insurance companies for the best match.
What renters insurance coverage does USAA offer?
USAA includes high-level coverage and benefits with each policy while offering several helpful additions. Coverage includes:
- Personal property. Protects your belongings anywhere in the world, including while in storage.
- Damage to property of others. Includes $1,000 for accidental damage you cause to someone else’s belongings, including your rental space.
- Replacement cost for belongings. Repair or replace your belongings without factoring in depreciation. Some items aren’t eligible for replacement cost coverage.
- Personal liability. Includes damage or injuries caused by you, your family or your pets.
- Medical payments to others. Pays medical bills for injuries you cause while at your home or during personal activities.
- Earthquake and flooding. This coverage is included in your standard policy.
- Lock replacement. If the keys to your rental get stolen, replace your door locks with up to $250 coverage. Included in your policy.
- Refrigerated products. Get up to $500 for spoiled food or refrigerated items if caused by a power outage or mechanical breakdown.
- Liability or property damage only. You can opt to only get liability or property damage coverage if you’re okay with taking on the risks of the other yourself.
- Accidental damage to personal computers. Add this option to your policy to pad your computer protection.
What renters insurance discounts can I get?
While USAA doesn’t advertise many discounts, you can save money on your premium with these simple discounts:
- Security devices
Pros and cons of USAA renters insurance
- Highly rated insurance company. USAA consistently ranks at the top of the J.D. Power Renters Insurance and Property Claims Satisfaction Study, and it topped the charts again in 2019.
- Belongings covered everywhere. Your belongings get protection whether you’re putting them in storage or traveling overseas.
- Free coverage and perks included. The company includes coverage and benefits in each policy that competitors might charge extra for, such as pet liability, earthquake and flood coverage.
- Fair rates. USAA claims that its rates start at $12 a month, which is on the low end of standard for renters insurance.
- 24/7 claims filed through the app. Make a claim quickly and smoothly through the USAA app at any time.
- Military-affiliated members only. The main downside to USAA is that only those with military service in their past or future and immediate family can get a policy.
What isn’t covered by a USAA renters policy?
The company lays out the situations it doesn’t cover, so you’re not guessing with your next claim. Many of these are common with other insurance companies, too. Exclusions include:
- Accidental damage or misplaced belongings, unless specifically stated by your policy
- Car equipment and accessories while being used in your car
- Damage to belongings due to temperature changes
- Damage to others’ property that exceeds $1,000
- Damage to vehicles you own, including boats and aircraft
- Fraud or illegal actions
- Gradual seepage of water
- Lack of proper care and maintenance
- Liability or property damage for roommates
- Owned buildings and their fixtures
- Wear and tear
- Damage due to breakage, humidity, insects, mold, rodents or scratching while in storage
How to apply for USAA renters insurance
Unlike other insurance companies, you’ll need a membership to apply for coverage with USAA. Then, you can get a quote online or ask customer service any questions. Follow these steps to apply:
- Go to the USAA website.
- Click Products and select Renters insurance from the menu.
- On the renters insurance page, click Get a quote.
- Log into your member account, using your member ID and password.
- Fill in missing details about you, your rental and other residents.
- Add your coverage needed and review your quote.
- If you accept the quote, finalize your policy details and enter payment information.
Phone. Reach a representative over the phone at 800-531-8722.
What info do I need to apply for renters insurance with USAA?
Sail through your application with basic personal information, including details about your or your family member’s military service. Information needed:
- Date of birth
- Phone number
- Military rank and service dates
- Coverage and policy start date
- Bank account or credit card information