A Visa card with travel, identity protection, and shopping perks — as well as benefits for military service members.
USAA offers another solid card with the Rate Advantage Visa® Platinum, combining travel, identity protection, and shopping benefits with appealing finance add-ons for military service members.
|Product Name||USAA® Rate Advantage Visa Platinum® Card|
|APR (Annual Percentage Rate) for Purchases||8.90% to 25.90% variable|
|Balance Transfer APR||8.90% to 25.90% variable|
|Balance Transfer Fee||3%|
|Cash Advance Rate||8.9% to 25.9% variable|
|Foreign Transaction Fee||None|
|Cash Advance Fee||3% of the cash advance amount|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 25 days|
|Late Payment Fee||Up to $35|
|Returned Payment Fee||Up to $35|
|Additional Cardholder Fee||$0|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
USAA® Rate Advantage Visa Platinum® Card
The USAA® Rate Advantage Visa Platinum® Card continues USAA’s line of solid cards for military service members and their family members. Military service members on deployment get a special interest rate on all balances, as well as rebates on all finance charges while on military campaigns.
Furthermore, all cardholders will benefit from no annual fees, foreign transaction fees or penalty APRs for the card. Finally, the USAA® Rate Advantage Visa Platinum® Card comes with additional perks like rental car insurance, identity protection services, shopping benefits and travel insurance.
Benefits of the USAA® Rate Advantage Visa Platinum® Card
- No annual fee. There’s no annual fee to use the USAA® Rate Advantage Visa Platinum® Card.
- No foreign transaction fee. You can use your card outside of the US without accruing any fees.
- No penalty APR. Your APR won’t be raised because a payment fails or you’re late.
- Rental car insurance. If you rent a vehicle with your card for 15 or fewer consecutive days you can receive rental vehicle insurance covering physical damage and theft.
- Identity theft and fraud resolution services. You’ll be covered by your card’s identity theft and fraud services, which include reporting to credit bureaus, Internet monitoring and reimbursement for unauthorized expenses.
- Shopping benefits with your card. The USAA® Rate Advantage Visa Platinum® Card includes price protection and extended warranties on products you purchase. You also get Satisfaction Guarantee Coverage, which allows you to refund payment for products up to $250.
- Travel insurance. You’ll be covered for baggage delays and any accidents sustained while traveling.
- Special benefits for military service members. Military service members on deployment enjoy additional benefits like a 4% interest rate for up to 12 months on all balances and complete rebates on all finance charges while on military campaigns.
Features of the USAA® Rate Advantage Visa Platinum® Card
- No grace period for balance transfers and cash advances. Take note that you’ll accrue interest immediately if you take out a cash advance or initiate a balance transfer.
- Late and returned payment fees. If you’re paying late for the first time within 6 billing periods, you’ll be charged a $25 fee; otherwise, you’ll be charged $35. The same structure applies to returned payment fees.
- Cap on balance transfers. There’s a limit to balance transfers, which is 95% of your credit limit.
- Balance transfer restrictions. Balance transfers from other USAA accounts is not allowed.
- Balance transfer and cash advance fees. There’s a fee of 3% when initiating balance transfers and cash advances, with a maximum of $200. For cash advances, however, the fee is waived when you make electronic transfers to USAA accounts.
- Only for members of the military and their family members. To qualify for the card, you need to be an active military member, a veteran who was honorably discharged or an eligible military family member.
How to apply for the USAA® Rate Advantage Visa Platinum® Card
In order to apply for the USAA® Rate Advantage Visa Platinum® Card, you must be a member of the military, a veteran who was honorably discharged or an eligible family member of military personnel. You also must be:
- A US citizen or permanent resident
- At least 18 years old
Always consider your options and your financial situation before you apply for a credit card.
Required documents & information
- Full name
- Residential address
- Marital status
- Contact information
- Proof of employment and income