USAA home insurance review
A policy that’s ideal for military members and family.
- Get a quote if you want a homeowners policy that suits your unique needs.
- Pick something else if you’re eligible for more discounts with other insurers.
- Military members score unique perks, such as protection for their uniforms.
All 50 states
- Policies tailored to military members
- Innovative add-ons
- Highest financial rating
- Limited to military-affiliated drivers
- Fewer discounts than competitors
|New home discount discount||Yes|
|New homeowner discount||Yes|
|Home safety features discount||Yes|
|New policy discount||Yes|
|No claims discount||Yes|
|Personal property coverage||Yes|
|Valuable personal property||Yes|
|Identity theft coverage||Included|
Katia Iervasi is a writer from sunny Sydney, Australia. Her writing — and curiosity — has taken her around the world, and she now calls chaotic, creative New York home. With a journalistic eye for detail, she navigates insurance, mortgages and finance for Finder, so you can splash your cash smartly (and be a pro when the subject pops up at dinner parties).
If you’re a USAA member, it’s worth looking into its home insurance. The rates are competitive, and the company offers perks that cater to its military-specific clientele.
But if you’re hoping to score discounts for things like paying your premium in full, you may qualify for more discounts with competitors.
Either way, take the time to compare home insurance providers to score the best possible policy.
What home insurance coverage does USAA offer?
USAA keeps it simple by offering a single home insurance policy to protect your property and possessions, with a few optional add-ons. Your policy will cover:
- Full replacement cost dwelling and personal property coverage. Pays to replace or repair the damage to your home and property in the event of an accident or disaster, without factoring in depreciation.
- Personal liability coverage. This kicks in to pay for legal expenses if your negligence causes injury or damage to other people and their property. USAA’s policies offer up to $500,000 worth of coverage.
- Medical payments to others coverage. Pays up to $5,000 of medical bills for people who are injured on your property.
- Unlimited loss-of-use coverage. This takes care of your living expenses while your home is being repaired or rebuilt. It may also reimburse you for any lost rental income.
- Home protector coverage. This endorsement includes building ordinance and law coverage, debris removal and inflation guard — which reimburses you for surge pricing if you need to rebuild.
- Military uniform coverage. Replaces the military uniforms of active duty and deployed members if they’re damaged, lost or stolen.
- Identity theft coverage. Your policy automatically includes up to $5,000 in identity theft coverage. Not available in NC or NY.
Additional home insurance coverage
You can also opt into this coverage:
- Water backup or sump pump overflow coverage. Repairs water damage caused by overflowing drains and sump pumps.
- Additional computer coverage. Covers computers, tablets and smartphones if they’re damaged by power surges and heat issues.
- Valuable items coverage. Expands your protection for valuable and collectible items, such as jewelry, art and musical instruments.
- Homesharing coverage. Rent out a room? This add-on protects you from liability, and your home from damage.
What discounts can I get with USAA?
USAA has a solid range of discounts, including:
- Multipolicy discount. Save up to 10% when you bundle more than one policy, like your home and auto, with USAA.
- Multiple USAA products discount. If you have a USAA savings account, IRA plan or index fund, you’ll be rewarded with a discount.
- Claims-free discount. Go more than three years without filing a claim, and you’ll qualify for this discount.
- Loyalty discount. If you’ve been a USAA member for at least two years, you may score a discount.
- Home age discount. The newer your home, the bigger the discount.
- ADT Home Security Systems discount. If you’ve installed ADT systems in your home, you could shave 10% off your premium.
- Impact-resistant roof discount. Have you taken measures to protect your roof from damage, such as hail? You might earn a discount.
- Automatic detection devices discount. Reduce your premium by adding water and gas leak sensors to your home.
- Firewise USA discount. This unique discounts helps you save if you live in a designated Firewise site in Arizona, California, Colorado, New Mexico, Oregon, Texas or Utah.
Pros and cons of USAA
- Competitive premiums. The insurer’s rates are among the best in the industry — especially for high-value homes.
- Full replacement cost coverage. If your property is damaged or stolen, USAA will reimburse you for the money you paid — not the depreciated price.
- Caters to military members. USAA’s policies include rare protections, such as coverage for military uniforms.
- Unique add-ons. For example, you can purchase homesharing coverage if you rent out a room of your home.
- Online claims. You can file a claim on the website or app in a matter of minutes.
- Financial strength. USAA has an A++ rating with AM Best, which is the highest possible rating. This points to its ability to pay out claims.
- Limited availability. USAA only sells insurance to people who are affiliated with the armed forces.
- Less discounts than competitors. Most major insurers offer a longer list of discounts.
- Not all coverage is nationwide. Certain coverages and discounts aren’t available in all states, so be sure to check your eligibility.
How to apply for USAA home insurance
First and foremost, you’ll need to be a USAA member. To qualify, you must be an active duty, National Guard or Reserve officer, an officer candidate, or a spouse or child of a USAA member.
If you check one of those boxes, you can apply for membership and then home insurance. When you get to that point, follow these steps:
- Go to the USAA website. Under Products, click Homeowner Insurance.
- Press Get a Quote.
- Log into your member account.
- Enter your property address, and confirm that your home isn’t used for commercial purposes and you don’t have a pet that’s bitten or attacked others.
- Type in the purchase amount and the year the home was built.
- Confirm the square footage and number of stories, and any security devices that are installed in the home.
- Offer details about the style, features, finishes and flooring of the home.
- Fill out the fields about your roof, garage or carport and fireplace.
- The system will generate a couple of quote options for you, and apply any eligible discounts. Adjust the coverage as needed and once you’re happy, click Select This Policy.
What info do I need to apply for home insurance with USAA?
The application asks for the following info:
- Full address of the property
- Details about your home, including the square footage, the year it was built and whether it’s under construction
- Value of the property
- Security features and devices, such as fire alarms
The system will prefill some of the fields with info from public records.
How do I make a claim with USAA?
The quickest way to make a claim is online:
- Log into the USAA website or app.
- Navigate to Claims.
- Describe the incident and any damage to or loss of your home and property. Upload photos to support your claim.
- Click Submit.
If you bank with USAA Bank, your claim will be paid via direct deposit. Otherwise, USAA will likely send you a check.