Enjoy discounts and coverage tailored for military members and their family.
Shopping for car insurance can be frustrating, and the confusing terms and company gimmicks can make your search for the best deal even more difficult. Not to mention that it’s no fun shopping and paying for something you hope you’ll never use.
USAA makes the business of car insurance as simple as possible. Its focus on service for its members makes it one of the highest ranking companies in customer satisfaction year after year.
|Name||USAA Car Insurance|
|Description||USAA offers affordable and competitive auto insurance quotes to millions of military members and their families.|
- Save when you bundle your home and car insurance
- Driver & vehicle discounts
- 24/7 claims service through USAA’s free mobile app.
- Membership savings
- Get dividends from company profits
- Flexible premium payments
- Limited to current and former members of the US military and their families only
- Online only support
Who is USAA best for?
USAA only offers financial services to members of the military and their families, meaning most of the general public won’t be able to take advantage of its products. However, of the many financial institutions that offer auto insurance and other financial services to members of the military, USAA is one of the highest rated.
What is USAA car insurance?
Founded in 1922, USAA serves members of the military and their families by offering competitive rates on car insurance and many other financial products and needs. Headquartered in San Antonio, Texas, this provider serves over 12 million members across the nation. According to JD Power’s auto insurance studies, the company is one of the highest ranking providers for overall purchase experience and customer satisfaction.
How much does USAA car insurance cost?
Your exact quote is based on your driving history, vehicle and level of coverage. To give you an idea of how much you might pay for USAA car insurance, compare sample quotes for drivers living in the state of New York. These rates are for a married driver with good credit wanting great coverage for a newer sedan.
|Gender||Age||Average annual rate|
Get your custom quote
What car insurance coverage does USAA offer?
- Bodily injury liability. This protects you if you injure someone with your car, but it doesn’t cover damage to you or your car.
- Personal injury protection coverage. Pays for the medical expenses of an injured driver and passengers in your car.
- Uninsured motorists’ coverage. Covers you for damages and injuries caused by an uninsured driver.
- Comprehensive physical damage coverage. Covers you for damages other than a collision, like vandalism.
- Collision coverage. Pays for damage to your car when your car hits or is hit by another car.
- Property damage liability. Protects you if your car damages someone else’s property.
- Emergency roadside service. Helps if you break down and you need roadside repairs.
- Rental reimbursement. Covers the cost of a rental car while yours is being repaired.
- Accident forgiveness. After five years of no accidents, your premium won’t go up after one at-fault accident.
- SR-22. A certificate of insurance for users who’ve have DUI convictions or are caught driving uninsured.
- Temporary or non-owner insurance. Liability coverage for rented or borrowed vehicles used stateside, including for personal leave or temporary military assignment.
What discounts can I get at USAA?
USAA understands the unique needs of military members and their families. Not only does it provide auto insurance at competitive rates, it offers a handful of discounts that can further reduce your premiums.
- Low mileage discount. If you’re deployed and don’t use your car much, you’ll save based on your annual mileage.
- New vehicle. Reduced premiums on vehicles that are less than three years old.
- Multi-vehicle. Receive a discount when you extend your coverage to two or more vehicles.
- Safe driver. Receive a discount for maintaining a clean driving record for three years.
- Driver training. Drivers under the age of 21 can get better rates upon completion of a basic driver training course.
- Good student. You can receive discounted rates for maintaining good grades as a student.
- Defensive driving. Improve your driving skills and reduce your premiums by taking an approved course.
- Family loyalty discount. Save up to 10% by staying on your parents’ USAA car insurance policy.
- Military installation discount. Save up to 15% on comprehensive coverage when you store your vehicle on a military base.
- Length of membership savings. Save more money on your policy based on how long you stay with this provider.
Does USAA offer any special programs?
Some providers offer discounts or special programs if certain conditions are met. These programs can make for cheaper premiums, better coverage, or added convenience. Here are the programs that USAA offers:
- Pay based on your schedule. If your paydays don’t fall on a typical schedule, you can set up premium payments based on when you get paid.
- Manage your account online. When you can’t get to an agent in person, USAA’s convenient online tool makes it easy to put in claims, pay bills, request ID cards and more.
- Car buying support. USAA’s Overseas Vehicle Purchase Program helps military members get a car if they’re stationed overseas for more than 30 days, with car purchase discounts and delivery to duty stations.
- Learning center. USAA offers a handful of resources to help customers learn about the products and services it offers.
What’s not covered by USAA auto insurance?
Some providers can be a bit picky regarding the vehicles that they insure. Not USAA. This provider offers auto insurance for all types of personal vehicles. For special vehicles like motorcycles, collector cars and motor homes, USAA offers coverage through third party carriers. This means that your policy will be underwritten by one of the carriers affiliated with USAA.
Pros and cons
- Auto and home insurance. Save when you bundle your home and car insurance.
- Driver discounts. Get discounts for safe drivers, good students, driver training and defensive driving courses.
- Vehicle discounts. Get discounts for new vehicles, low mileage, coverage on multiple vehicles and vehicles that are in storage.
- 24/7 claims service. Report or check your claim through USAA’s free mobile app.
- Membership savings. Savings are offered to military families, to those in military installations and through bundled insurance packages.
- Company profits. Members are entitled to a portion of the company profits each year, paid out by check or as a rebate on coverage fees.
- Flexible payments. Pay premiums yearly, monthly or on your military pay schedule.
- Limited membership. USAA is only available to current and former members of the US military and their families.
- Online only. You won’t be able to talk with a USAA agent in person.
What do customers say about USAA?
USAA is one of the highest ranking auto insurance providers according to JD Power and a handful of other online resources. While it isn’t accredited on the official BBB website, it does hold an A+ rating and a composite score of 3.79 out of 5 stars, based on 302 customer reviews.
Reviews on the Trustpilot website seem to be more negative in nature, but the majority of these complaints address concerns with mortgages and other financial products, not auto insurance.
Most USAA auto insurance customers seem very satisfied with the service. After browsing multiple forums for any downsides to this provider, the general consensus was that customers seem to be very happy with the prices, claims and customer service that this provider offers.
How to apply for USAA auto insurance
In order to enroll in USAA auto insurance, you’ll first need to be a member of the institution.
- Start by determining your eligibility for a USAA membership.
- Once you’ve joined USAA, log in and follow the steps to set up your online account.
- After you’ve logged in and set up online access, enter your details and get a free customized quote.
- Read through the full details of your quote and then sign up to get coverage that can start today.
How to file a claim with USAA auto insurance
While many people buy auto insurance to protect themselves in the event of a collision, most of us hope that day never occurs. However, if you happen to get in an accident and need to file a claim, USAA makes it very easy.
- Visit the auto insurance claims page on the USAA website.
- Select the type of claim that best explains your situation.
- Log in to your online account.
- Follow the steps to provide all necessary information and documentation.
How to contact USAA
Fortunately, USAA makes it very easy to get in touch. For general questions, you can visit the contact and support center, which offers answers to a handful of popular questions for each of its services. For more specific questions, you can use the find a phone number/address section to locate the relevant contact information.
Does USAA offer any other types of insurance?
USAA provides financial products to service members including insurance, banking, investments, real estate and retirement. It offers insurance for just about everything from cars and homes to businesses to health, life and dental.
USAA auto insurance competitors
USAA is a great one-and-done company for current and former members of the US military and their families offering competitive rates on car insurance. It’s a trusted source for your insurance, banking, investment and real estate advice needs. But you’ll need to be eligible for a membership with USAA before you can take advantage of its deals.
No matter what your needs are, compare your available options to find the best rates and coverage.