USAA Active Military Mastercard®
Military personnel enjoy generous benefits with this card, which offers the chance for a low variable APR
Military members and their families will find an attractive card in the USAA Active Military Mastercard®. The card comes with no annual fee and a potentially low APR of 11.90% to 26.90% variable on all balances. Those serving actively will be especially pleased with the extended benefits, and all cardholders will enjoy purchase-based rewards and convenient online card management features.
How to apply for the USAA Active Military Mastercard®
- You are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the U.S.
- You are at least 18 years old
- You are a member of the military, a veteran who was honorably discharged, or an eligible family member of military personnel
Required documents & information
- Your name, residential status, and residential address
- Your Social Security number
- Your email address, phone number, and date of birth
USAA Active Military Mastercard® review
This is an attractive card with no annual fee, a potentially low APR for all transactions, and rewards triggered by purchases. The benefits get even better for active military personnel, who enjoy advantages like a generous 4% 12-month interest rate on all balances and full rebates on finance charges accrued during military campaigns. The fine print is quite standard as far as credit cards go, though cardholders will want to be wary of an APR that can vary from 11.90% to 26.90% variable
You can choose between two rewards programs: cash rewards or USAA rewards. The former will give cash rebates based on purchases, while the latter will give points that you can spend on flights, cruises, and more. Online account management, automatic payments, and email and text alerts round out an enticing credit card choice.
Benefits of the USAA Active Military Mastercard®
- Choose between two rewards programs. You can elect to receive either cash rewards or USAA rewards. With cash rewards, you’ll receive rebates of up to 1.25% on your purchases depending on how much you spend. With USAA rewards, you’ll receive points you can redeem for flight tickets, merchandise, gift cards, cash, cruise tickets, and more.
- No annual fee. You won’t have to worry about annual membership fees.
- Possibility for a low APR. Based on your credit history, you could qualify for a purchase, balance transfer, and cash advance APR as low as 11.90% to 26.90% variable .
- Choose from different card designs. The card is geared toward those in the military, so naturally cardholders get to choose between patriotic or military card designs.
- Special benefits for military service members. Military service members on deployment enjoy additional benefits like a reduced 4% interest rate for up to 12 months on all balances and complete rebates on all finance charges while on military campaigns.
- Online pay on the USAA website. Each cardholder can pay balances online and authorize another person to pay balances on his or her behalf.
- Automatic payments and reminders. You can set up automatic payments and reminders to pay off balances on time and keep your credit score intact.
- Email and text alerts. You can also set up email and text alerts to keep you updated about your credit card balance and other account information.
- $0 over-the-credit limit fee. There’s no fee if you exceed your credit limit.
Features of the USAA Active Military Mastercard®
- Balance transfer limit. This card comes with a balance transfer limit, which is 95% of your available credit.
- Only for members of the military and their family members. To qualify for the card, you need to be an active military member, a veteran who was honorably discharged, or an eligible military family member.
- Sliding APR scale. Depending on your credit history, you could qualify for an APR from 11.90% to 26.90% variable .
- No grace period for cash advances. If you want to take out cash, take note that there is no grace period to pay off your cash advance balance before you need to pay interest.
- No grace period for balance transfers. Likewise, there is no grace period for balance transfers. You will accrue interest immediately.
- Late payment fee. For the first late payment within the previous six billing periods, you’ll pay $25; otherwise, you’ll pay $35. This fee will not be more than the minimum payment on your most recent bill.
- Returned payment fee. For the first returned payment within the previous six billing periods, you’ll pay $25; otherwise, you’ll pay $35. This fee will not be more than the minimum payment on your most recent bill.