U.S. Cellular is among the highest-ranked networks in the US, winning awards from J.D. Power’s Highest Wireless Network Quality Performance in the North Central Region and Temkin Experience Ratings for Best Customer Experience in the Wireless Industry. And that’s just in 2017 so far.
This recognition as a quality performer alongside the opportunity to eliminate monthly connection charges, data overage charges and activation fees may be worth considering a switch to U.S. Cellular. But look out for data plans and promotions that can be complicated to understand.
- Among the highest ranked networks in the US
- Messaging-only plans available
- Award-winning coverage. J.D. Power actually recognized U.S. Cellular as providing the “Highest Wireless Network Quality Performance in the North Central Region.”
- No hidden fees on Total Plans. U.S. Cellular users can depend on the Total Plans to skip right past activation fees, overage charges and monthly connection charges.
- Switcher Offer. Don’t let early termination charges your old carrier might insist on charging keep you from saving money.
- Tethered data streaming. Once you hit your allotted amount of high-speed data for the month, you still get data, but at speeds that may make you want to stop using your phone entirely.
- Tricky promotions. Some regret saving TONS of money with awesome promotions after they realize what the fine print actually said.
- No rollovers. You won’t be able to roll over data remaining from one month to the next.
- Limited service. U.S. Cellular operates in 23 states. In Texas, Minnesota, Pennsylvania and a few other states, service is available in only a few counties.
What is U.S. Cellular?
The fifth-largest wireless provider in the nation, U.S. Cellular provides a strong lineup of popular brand-name smartphones and tablets backed by a high-speed network. It boasts that more than 93% of its customers have access to 4G LTE speeds.
What services does U.S. Cellular offer?
U.S. Cellular’s offers straightforward plan structures that include prepaid use, family and business plans.
Total Plans with no hidden fees
Total Plans come with unlimited minutes and text messages and no hidden fees:
- 2GB data for $40 a month
- 6GB data for $60 a month
- Unlimited data for $70 a month
You can save on this monthly cost with each subsequent line you add to your plan, and you can save an additional $10 a month by enrolling in autopay and paperless billing.
Prepaid Plans with no contract
Get unlimited talk, text and data with no contract, no credit check and no overage charges:
- 1GB high-speed data for $35 a month
- 5 GB of high-speed data for $45 a month
- Unlimited data for $70 a month
Add to any plan unlimited talk and text to Canada and Mexico for $10 a month.
Business Plans with More High Speed Data
Business Plans stretch U.S. Cellular’s high-speed data allowance to protect you from paying more than you need to:
- 2GB + 1GB Stretch Data for $35 a month
- 5GB + 1GB Stretch Data for $50 a month
- 12GB + 2GB Stretch Data for $60 a month
- 24GB + 2GB Stretch Data for $80 a month
- 36GB + 4GB Stretch Data for $100 a month
All Business Plans require a connection charge on top of the plan’s cost and include unlimited talk and text to Canada and Mexico.
Are there any other features I should know about?
- International long-distance plans. Call 200+ countries and text more than 100 with plans that accommodate more frequent calling or pay as you go for occasional use.
- Messaging-only plans. If you primarily use messaging to communicate, pay $30 for messaging or $60 for messaging and data.
- Autopay discounts. Save $10 off any Total Plan by signing up for autopay and paperless billing.
- Get money to switch. With the Switcher Offer, you can get up to $650 when you switch to U.S. Cellular from your existing plan.
- Online tools. Use the Coverage Locator to view signal quality and available coverage in your area.
- Money-saving Bill Reducer app. Existing customers can save $5 or more a month by answering surveys, viewing ads and more.
What to watch out for
Be aware that all unlimited data plans stream at standard definition speeds but automatically shift to lower 2G speeds when lines reach a monthly allotment.
Users also report that U.S. Cellular’s no-contract concept can sometimes be overruled by special offers and promotions. Carefully read the terms and conditions of any promotions or sales you take advantage of while signing up to understand their specific requirements.
How do I sign up for U.S. Cellular?
Sign up for U.S. Cellular online by choosing the plan that best suits your needs. The website will walk you through the process, including adding any new devices, features or accessories. You’ll have the chance to review your full details before confirming your order.
U.S. Wireless offers options for solid wireless service at prices that can be lower than larger carriers. The trick seems to be in weighing the many plan options and promotions.