Top 10 vehicle manufacturers, US 2018
|Manufacturer||2018 car sales|
Notable changes since 2017
- Subaru replaced Hyundai for 6th place.
- Ram knocked GMC off the the list by squeaking in at 10th place.
Top 10 vehicle models, US 2018
|Vehicle||2018 car sales|
Notable changes since 2017
- Honda CR-V beat Toyota Camry out for 6th place
- Chevrolet Equinox replaced Honda Accord in 8th place
The F-Series Ford outsold any other vehicle in 22 of 50 states in 2017. The second closest was the Chevrolet Silverado, which was the top seller in seven of 50 states.
Despite not having any electric models in the top-selling categories, the overall sales still increased from 158,614 in 2016 to 199,826 in 2017.
Compare car loans from top providers
Explore your options by minimum credit score, APR, loan term or requirements. Select the Go to site button for more information about a particular lender.
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Best selling cars by car type
|Car type||Best-selling car|
|Large pickup||Ford F-Series|
|Small pickup||Toyota Tacoma|
|Large sports cars||Chevrolet Corvette|
|Midsize sports cars||Ford Mustang|
|Small sports cars||Hyundai Veloster|
|Premium full-size SUV||Cadillac Escalade|
|Premium large SUV||Lexus RX|
|Premium midsize SUV||Mercedes-Benz GLC|
|Premium compact SUV||BMW X1|
|Premium large||Mercedes-Benz E-class|
|Premium midsize||Mercedes-Benz C-class|
|Premium compact||Mercedes-Benz CLA|
|Large SUV||Chevrolet Tahoe|
|Midsize SUV||Ford Explorer|
|Compact SUV||Nissan Rouge|
|Subcompact SUV||Buick Encore|
|Minivan||Dodge Grand Caravan|
Most reliable car brands
According to JD Power, the top-ranked brands for dependability in 2018 were:
Tips on how to finance a new car
Everyone has different options available when it comes to financing a new car. There are some key factors you should pay attention to before you begin your journey of purchasing a new vehicle:
- Check your credit score. When you know your credit score, whether it be good or bad, you’ll have an idea what lenders have to work with. Some lenders specifically offer bad credit auto loans. Dealerships and other private lenders typically prefer more creditworthy applicants.
- Go for the shorter loan term. Even though the payments will be a little more per month, you’ll pay less in interest and will own the car much faster when you opt for the shortest loan term you can fit in your budget.
- Put down a 20% payment. By doing this, you’re knocking out a huge chunk of the principal. This allows you to pay off the car faster and ultimately save money on interest.
- Pay extra fees in cash. Lenders may offer to rolls fees into your financing. But by paying for any extras like tax and registration with cash, you’ll reduce any extra loan balance.
- Get loan quotes. Unless you have perfect credit and will be dealing directly with the dealership, it’s in your financial interest to do some research about different lenders to see which is a good fit for you. Narrow it down to two to three lenders and apply to see which service can offer you the best possible deal.
Frequently asked questions
What financing options do I have for Ford cars?
Ford offers financing itself and through third-party lenders. Ford Credit offers both loan and leasing options depending on your financing needs.
What’s the best-selling car of all time?
The Toyota Corolla is the best-selling car of all time, selling over 43 million cars to date. The Ford F-series closely follows, selling over 40 million.
What’s the best-selling Mercedes of all time?
The Mercedes C-class is the brand’s best-seller. Read our guide to finance one.
How do I finance a Hyundai?
You have multiple options, including dealership financing, auto loans and personal loans for car purchases.
Image source: Shutterstock
More guides on Finder
Upstart auto loan refinance review
Upstart is now offering auto loan refinancing.
Gravity Lending review
Gravity Lending matches borrowers with lenders so you can get the best vehicle refinancing deal out there.
RefiJet helps you save on your monthly car payment or interest with a few simple steps.
Tred used car loans review
In-house financing available — but only for the cars in its inventory.
How to finance a Honda CR-V
Get a car loan through your dealership or another lender to find the best rate.
How to finance a Toyota RAV4
Get the best deal on a car loan when you finance this fuel-efficient compact SUV.
How to finance a Ram pickup
Get competitive rates on your next car loan when you finance this full-size pickup truck.
Vroom vs. Carvana
Both Vroom and Carvana offer loans for their used car inventories. But when it comes to transparency and loan terms, Carvana takes the cake.
Carvana vs. Carmax
Two used car dealerships with competitive rates and quick online financing.
Car loans in New Jersey
Interest rates are capped low to help you save.
Ask an Expert