Top 10 vehicle manufacturers, US 2018
|Manufacturer||2018 car sales|
Notable changes since 2017
- Subaru replaced Hyundai for 6th place.
- Ram knocked GMC off the the list by squeaking in at 10th place.
Top 10 vehicle models, US 2018
|Vehicle||2018 car sales|
Notable changes since 2017
- Honda CR-V beat Toyota Camry out for 6th place
- Chevrolet Equinox replaced Honda Accord in 8th place
The F-Series Ford outsold any other vehicle in 22 of 50 states in 2017. The second closest was the Chevrolet Silverado, which was the top seller in seven of 50 states.
Despite not having any electric models in the top-selling categories, the overall sales still increased from 158,614 in 2016 to 199,826 in 2017.
Compare car loans from top providers
Explore your options by minimum credit score, APR, loan term or requirements. Select the Go to site button for more information about a particular lender.
Best selling cars by car type
|Car type||Best-selling car|
|Large pickup||Ford F-Series|
|Small pickup||Toyota Tacoma|
|Large sports cars||Chevrolet Corvette|
|Midsize sports cars||Ford Mustang|
|Small sports cars||Hyundai Veloster|
|Premium full-size SUV||Cadillac Escalade|
|Premium large SUV||Lexus RX|
|Premium midsize SUV||Mercedes-Benz GLC|
|Premium compact SUV||BMW X1|
|Premium large||Mercedes-Benz E-class|
|Premium midsize||Mercedes-Benz C-class|
|Premium compact||Mercedes-Benz CLA|
|Large SUV||Chevrolet Tahoe|
|Midsize SUV||Ford Explorer|
|Compact SUV||Nissan Rouge|
|Subcompact SUV||Buick Encore|
|Minivan||Dodge Grand Caravan|
Most reliable car brands
According to JD Power, the top-ranked brands for dependability in 2018 were:
Tips on how to finance a new car
Everyone has different options available when it comes to financing a new car. There are some key factors you should pay attention to before you begin your journey of purchasing a new vehicle:
- Check your credit score. When you know your credit score, whether it be good or bad, you’ll have an idea what lenders have to work with. Some lenders specifically offer bad credit auto loans. Dealerships and other private lenders typically prefer more creditworthy applicants.
- Go for the shorter loan term. Even though the payments will be a little more per month, you’ll pay less in interest and will own the car much faster when you opt for the shortest loan term you can fit in your budget.
- Put down a 20% payment. By doing this, you’re knocking out a huge chunk of the principal. This allows you to pay off the car faster and ultimately save money on interest.
- Pay extra fees in cash. Lenders may offer to rolls fees into your financing. But by paying for any extras like tax and registration with cash, you’ll reduce any extra loan balance.
- Get loan quotes. Unless you have perfect credit and will be dealing directly with the dealership, it’s in your financial interest to do some research about different lenders to see which is a good fit for you. Narrow it down to two to three lenders and apply to see which service can offer you the best possible deal.
Frequently asked questions
What financing options do I have for Ford cars?
Ford offers financing itself and through third-party lenders. Ford Credit offers both loan and leasing options depending on your financing needs.
What’s the best-selling car of all time?
The Toyota Corolla is the best-selling car of all time, selling over 43 million cars to date. The Ford F-series closely follows, selling over 40 million.
What’s the best-selling Mercedes of all time?
The Mercedes C-class is the brand’s best-seller. Read our guide to finance one.
How do I finance a Hyundai?
You have multiple options, including dealership financing, auto loans and personal loans for car purchases.
Image source: Shutterstock
More guides on Finder
7 ways to save money on your next car
Is leasing or buying the best option for your next vehicle purchase?
Upstart auto loan refinance review
Upstart is now offering auto loan refinancing.
Prestige Financial auto loans review
Car loans for borrowers who may not qualify for traditional financing.
Ally auto loans review
This young bank works with dealerships to get you financing.
PenFed Credit Union auto loans review
Could you be eligible for a low APR car loan from this well-known credit union?
How to buy a car: Tips and tricks
If you’re in the market for a car don’t miss out on this guide to buy a car, get all the info you need and a range of loans to help you get into your car sooner.
Alliant Credit Union car loans review
Rates start as low as 3.49%, but you’ll need good to excellent credit to qualify.
How to sell a car with a lien
Want to sell your car and pay off your car loan? Here’s what you need to know before you put your vehicle up for sale.
Carvana used car financing review 2023
A new financing option for buying used cars online.
90+ day delinquent balances rack up fastest among auto loans
Lenders demonstrate some self control as alarming subprime delinquency statistics remind us of patterns pre-financial crisis.
Ask an Expert