Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Best-selling cars in the US
Ford tops the charts when it comes to sales.
Top 10 vehicle manufacturers, US 2018
|Manufacturer||2018 car sales|
Notable changes since 2017
- Subaru replaced Hyundai for 6th place.
- Ram knocked GMC off the the list by squeaking in at 10th place.
Top 10 vehicle models, US 2018
|Vehicle||2018 car sales|
Notable changes since 2017
- Honda CR-V beat Toyota Camry out for 6th place
- Chevrolet Equinox replaced Honda Accord in 8th place
The F-Series Ford outsold any other vehicle in 22 of 50 states in 2017. The second closest was the Chevrolet Silverado, which was the top seller in seven of 50 states.
Despite not having any electric models in the top-selling categories, the overall sales still increased from 158,614 in 2016 to 199,826 in 2017.
Compare car loans from top providers
Best selling cars by car type
|Car type||Best-selling car|
|Large pickup||Ford F-Series|
|Small pickup||Toyota Tacoma|
|Large sports cars||Chevrolet Corvette|
|Midsize sports cars||Ford Mustang|
|Small sports cars||Hyundai Veloster|
|Premium full-size SUV||Cadillac Escalade|
|Premium large SUV||Lexus RX|
|Premium midsize SUV||Mercedes-Benz GLC|
|Premium compact SUV||BMW X1|
|Premium large||Mercedes-Benz E-class|
|Premium midsize||Mercedes-Benz C-class|
|Premium compact||Mercedes-Benz CLA|
|Large SUV||Chevrolet Tahoe|
|Midsize SUV||Ford Explorer|
|Compact SUV||Nissan Rouge|
|Subcompact SUV||Buick Encore|
|Minivan||Dodge Grand Caravan|
Tips on how to finance a new car
Everyone has different options available when it comes to financing a new car. There are some key factors you should pay attention to before you begin your journey of purchasing a new vehicle:
- Check your credit score. When you know your credit score, whether it be good or bad, you’ll have an idea what lenders have to work with. Some lenders specifically offer bad credit auto loans. Dealerships and other private lenders typically prefer more creditworthy applicants.
- Go for the shorter loan term. Even though the payments will be a little more per month, you’ll pay less in interest and will own the car much faster when you opt for the shortest loan term you can fit in your budget.
- Put down a 20% payment. By doing this, you’re knocking out a huge chunk of the principal. This allows you to pay off the car faster and ultimately save money on interest.
- Pay extra fees in cash. Lenders may offer to rolls fees into your financing. But by paying for any extras like tax and registration with cash, you’ll reduce any extra loan balance.
- Get loan quotes. Unless you have perfect credit and will be dealing directly with the dealership, it’s in your financial interest to do some research about different lenders to see which is a good fit for you. Narrow it down to two to three lenders and apply to see which service can offer you the best possible deal.
Frequently asked questions
Image source: Shutterstock
More guides on Finder
Electric vehicles in 2021: How new models, insurance rates and tax breaks affect their cost to own
See average EV insurance rates for 2021 based on Finder’s car model research, plus new models on the horizon.
Investing in car stocks
Top car stocks and ETFs that track the category.
5 ways COVID-19 may have helped you buy a car
Navigate car deals and a wavering market if you’re buying a ride during the coronavirus.
What cars are made in America?
Check out the top 50 American car models, and find out what makes them American.
Compare car loans and repayment options available during COVID
Reach out to your lender directly to discuss alternate payment options.
Dealerships offer car loan discounts to boost sales
Between months of deferment, 0% APR offers and other discounts, finding a deal is easier than ever.
How to lower car insurance costs
No one wants to pay more for car insurance than they need to. Compare the easiest ways to pay less on your monthly car insurance bill.
26 cars disappearing from US dealerships in 2020 — and how owning one can hit your wallet
A car’s value starts to drop as soon as you drive it out of the dealership, and discontinuation may cause it to depreciate faster.
Which gas should you use in your car?
When should you use regular, premium or E85 gas? And what if you use the wrong kind?
4 types of electric cars
Compare starting MSRPs, fuel-efficiency and ranges of models on the market.
Ask an Expert