The card has one slam-dunk perk: 0% APR for a stellar 20 billing cycles on purchases and balance transfers.
|Product Name||U.S. Bank Visa® Platinum Card|
|APR (Annual Percentage Rate) for Purchases||11.74% to 23.74% variable|
|Introductory Purchase APR||0% for the first 20 billing cycles (then 11.74% to 23.74% variable)|
|Introductory Balance Transfer APR||0% for the first 20 billing cycles (then 11.74% to 23.74% variable)|
|Balance Transfer Fee||3% or $5 (whichever is greater)|
|Cash Advance Rate||25.74% variable|
|Cash Advance Fee||$4 or 4% of the cash advance amount, whichever is greater|
|Foreign Transaction Fee||3% of the transaction amount|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 24 days|
|Late Payment Fee||$38|
|Returned Payment Fee||$35|
|Additional Cardholder Fee||$0|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
The U.S. Bank Visa® Platinum Card has one claim to fame: Its excellent introductory interest rate. You’ll receive 0% APR for a stellar 20 billing cycles on purchases and balance transfers. This perk catapults the card to one of the top 0% APR products on the market.
Typical among cards with great promotional interest rates, you won’t find rewards or a signup bonus here. However, the U.S. Bank Visa® Platinum Card comes with no annual fee.
Should you get the U.S. Bank Platinum Visa® Card?
- If you want the works — rewards, a signup bonus and tons of perks — this card isn’t for you.
- If you want a market-leading 0% APR period for no annual fee, this card is an excellent pick.
- ANNUAL FEE: A $0 annual fee makes it easy to keep the U.S. Bank Visa® Platinum Card long-term.
- INTRO APR: 0% on purchases and balance transfers for 20 billing cycles.This is a stellar 0% APR period — one of the longest ones you’ll find. It puts the U.S. Bank Visa® Platinum Card in contention with mainstays like the Citi Simplicity® Card.
You’ll also like …
- Potentially low APR.
Depending on your credit score, you may qualify for an ongoing APR as low as 11.74%.
- Cell phone protection.
When you pay your cell phone bill with your card, you qualify for U.S. Bank Cell Phone Protection. This covers your phone from damage or theft up to $600, with a $25 deductible. It also covers three additional phones on your bill. You can make up to two claims every 12-months.
- No penalty APR.
- No over-the-credit-limit fee.
Compare 0% APR credit cards
How does a balance transfer work with this card?
What to watch out for
- No rewards.
As is common among cards with long 0% intro APR periods, the U.S. Bank Visa® Platinum Card doesn’t offer rewards like cash back or miles. If you’re willing to sacrifice a few months on the 0% APR period, check out products like the Discover it® Cash Back and Discover it® Chrome Gas & Restaurant Card. They offer strong intro APRs and cash back.
- No signup bonus.
Cards with long balance transfer promotions — such as the Citi Simplicity® Card and KeyBank Latitude® Credit Card — typically don’t offer signup bonuses.
- Potentially high APR.
If you have a weak credit history, you may be given an interest rate up to 23.74%. That’s high, considering the average APR is around 16%.
What to know before you apply
To apply for the U.S. Bank Visa® Platinum Card, you must be a US resident. You also must be at least 18 years old.
Information you’ll need
- Your full name and contact information.
- Your residential status.
- Your annual income, source of income and employment information.
- Your Social Security number.
What credit score do I need?
You’ll have a better chance of being approved for this card if you apply with a good to excellent credit score of 680 to 850.
What’s a good credit score?
How to apply for the U.S. Bank Visa® Platinum Card
1. Go to the US Bank website and click Apply Now.
2. If you’re a current US Bank customer, enter your Personal ID and proceed to the application. If you’re a new customer, click New to US Bank? Apply Here.
3. Complete the application with details like your name, address, annual income and Social Security number.
4. Review and submit your application.
How long will it take to be approved?
U.S. Bank will likely send you a decision within 10 days. If there are issues with your application, however, you may wait up to a few weeks to hear back.
I got the card. Now what?
- Make timely payments. Pay your card bill online at the US Bank website, where you can enroll in autopay.
- Avoid interest. After the close of each billing cycle, you have a grace period between 24 to pay your balance. If you do, you won’t pay interest on your purchases.
- Avoid fees. Late payments come with fees of up to $38, and returned payments cost up to $35. Balance transfers and cash advances also come with fees.
- Contact customer service. If you have questions, contact US Bank at 800-872-2657.
The U.S. Bank Visa® Platinum Card offers 0% APR on purchases and balance transfers for an impressively long time. You won’t find rewards or a signup bonus, but the card does its one job very, very well.
Want to compare your options? Visit our comprehensive guide to credit cards to find the ideal card for your situation.
Frequently asked questions