U.S. Bank Platinum Checking account
finder.com’s rating: 2.3 / 5.0
U.S. Bank’s Platinum Checking account is best for people who are looking for a longstanding financial relationship with the bank. Perks come in handy for those signing mortgages or taking out home equity loans. But the hefty monthly maintenance fee requires high balances to waive.
$24.95 per month
Minimum deposit to open
|Fee||$24.95 per month|
|To waive the fee||Maintain a combined balance of $25,000 in personal deposits, credit balances and investments|
OR maintain a personal trust with U.S. Bank
|Minimum deposit to open||$25|
|Intro or bonus offer||You’ll be eligible to earn an account bonus with a FlexPerks credit card when you open a Platinum Checking account.|
|ATM transaction fee||$0|
|Out-of-network ATM fee||$0|
|Foreign transaction fee||3%|
How do I open a U.S. Bank Platinum Checking account?
Apply online in a few steps:
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- From the U.S. Bank home page, hover over Checking & Savings and select Checking accounts.
- Scroll down to the Platinum Checking Package and select Apply now.
- Enter your ZIP code and click Go.
- Indicate whether you’re currently a US Bank customer by choosing Yes or No.
- Indicate whether you’re opening a joint or individual account. Click Next.
- Complete the application by filling out your name, contact info and Social Security number. At the end, U.S. Bank will indicate whether or not your application was approved.
You must be 18 years or older and a legal United States resident to open a Platinum Checking account with U.S. Bank.
While completing the application for a Platinum Checking account, keep the following info handy:
- Social Security number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number
- Your driver’s license, military or state ID
- Payment method for funding the account with a $25 deposit — credit card, debit card or the routing and account numbers of another bank account
What are the benefits of a checking account with U.S. Bank?
A checking account with U.S. Bank comes standard with remote check deposit, an intuitive app, a Visa debit card and Zelle for bank-to-bank transfers. What sets Platinum Checking apart are special perks associated with its status as a top-tier account. In addition to fee-free overdraft protection transfers, expect:
- 100 no-commision trades each year. Trade up to 100 times in a calendar year in an independent brokerage account without being charged commission.
- Access to Platinum Select Money Market Savings Account. Gain access to its top-tier savings account with APYs ranging from 0.05% to 0.1% — except for the first six months, when balances over 10% will receive a 2% APY.
- Save on a mortgage. Calculate 0.25% of your overall loan and deduct it from your closing costs to save money when signing a mortgage with U.S. bank, capped at $1,000.
- No fee at non-US Bank ATMs. Use your ATM card anywhere without fees. Though U.S. Bank won’t reimburse you for any fees each ATM charges independently.
You’ll also be eligible to earn an account bonus with a FlexPerks credit card when you open a Platinum Checking account. And maintaining your account means you can waive the annual fee on home equity loans.
U.S. Bank’s ATM network and fees
U.S. Bank has over 3,000 branches in 25 states around the country and 4,600 ATMs that are primarily scattered throughout the midwest. With the Platinum Checking account, you can use any ATM nationwide without being penalized by U.S. Bank, though you might need to pay fees charged by independent ATMs.
Here’s what you can do at U.S. Bank ATMs:
- Withdraw cash
- Check account balances
- Deposit cash
- Deposit checks
- Transfer money between U.S. Bank accounts
- Make a U.S. Bank credit card payment
- Reset your pin
What should I look out for?
A $25 initial deposit is required to open a Platinum Checking account. Here’s what else to consider:
- Hefty monthly maintenance fee. Unless you maintain a combined balance of $25,000 in personal deposits, credit balances and investments — or you maintain a personal trust with U.S. Bank — you’ll be hit with a $24.95 monthly fee.
- Overseas transactions are pricey. Using your debit card internationally will incur a 3% fee on each transaction made in foreign currency, and a 2% fee on transactions in US dollars.
Compare with other checking accounts
How do I deposit or withdraw my money?
Deposit money into your Platinum Checking account with U.S. Bank by:
- Direct deposit. Automatically deposit paychecks into your account.
- Check deposit. Deposit checks through the app or in-person at a branch location.
- Cash deposit. Input cash through an ATM or in-person at a branch location.
- Electronic transfer. Send money to your Platinum Checking account online or through the app.
- Wire transfer. Wire money in and out of the Platinum Checking account. Note that there’s a $20 fee per incoming wire.
Withdraw funds from your Platinum Checking with U.S. Bank by:
- ATM withdrawal. Get cash at an ATM using your debit card.
- Electronic transfer. Send money to an external bank.
- Wire transfer. Wire outgoing funds, noting that there’s a $30 fee to do so domestically.
What other checking options does U.S. Bank offer?
Similar to other brick-and-mortar institutions, U.S. Bank uses a tiered system for its checking accounts:
- Student Checking account. There’s no monthly maintenance fee and you can use non-U.S. Bank ATMs up to four times in a month without being charged a fee.
- Easy Checking account. Skip the $6.95 monthly maintenance fee by maintaining at least $1,500 in the account or by direct depositing at least $1,000 each month. Those over the age of 65 can access this account for free.
- Gold Checking account. Waive the $14.94 monthly fee by opening a U.S. Bank credit card or loan. You can also use two non-U.S. Bank ATMs per statement period without being charged.
Platinum Checking with U.S. Bank is best for those who’d like a diverse relationship with the bank. The perks associated with signing on include discounts on mortgage closings, stock market trades and on other U.S. Bank accounts.
If you’re not interested in that kind of commitment or just don’t want to deal with the hefty maintenance fee, compare your other options.
Frequently asked questions
Checking account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top checking accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: monthly fees, the ease at which monthly fees can be waived, the breadth of ATM access, ATM and overdraft fees, and customer service.