Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to increase your U.S. Bank credit limit
Make a request online or by phone after a few months of responsible card use.
A higher credit limit can give you peace of mind as having more borrowing power can be useful for emergencies. Unfortunately, you can’t request a specific amount when you apply for a card as your credit line is determined by factors such as your creditworthiness, annual income and debt to income ratio. But you can request a credit limit increase after using your card for at least six months.
How can I find out my U.S. Bank credit limit?
Log in to your U.S. Bank online banking account and select the credit card you want to check. You can also find this information on your credit card statement or by calling U.S. Bank customer service.
How do I know if I am eligible for a credit limit increase?
U.S. Bank doesn’t openly provide any eligibility criteria, but here’s a rough guideline based on other credit card providers’ criteria:
- Your credit card account must be open for at least six months.
- You must always pay your credit card balance on time and in full.
- You must actively use your credit card.
- You have an increase in your income.
High income is often associated with high spending. If your income has grown since you applied for the card, you could be considered for a credit limit increase.
Note: Even if you meet the eligibility criteria, it doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll get a credit limit increase.
How to increase my U.S. Bank credit limit
There are four ways to increase your U.S. Bank credit line.
Make sure you have all the required information before requesting a credit line increase. You’ll need your annual income, employment and occupation proof, a reason for the request and your monthly housing payment.
Did you know?
If you have a secured card, you must submit a written request to increase your credit limit. Call U.S. customer service for more details.
Submit your request online
U.S. Bank has simplified the online credit limit increase request. Here’s how to do it:
- Log in to your U.S. Bank online banking account.
- Find Self service under the Customer service tab.
- Click Manage your account.
- Select the Credit limit increase option.
- Follow the steps to submit your request.
- U.S. Bank Cash+™ Visa Signature® Card
- U.S. Bank Business Cash Rewards World Elite™ Mastercard®
- U.S. Bank FlexPerks® Travel Rewards® Visa Signature® Card
Call the bank
If you prefer to request a credit limit increase by phone, here’s how to do it:
- Call U.S. Bank cardmember services using the number on the back of your card or 866-659-6801.
- Request your credit limit increase.
- Provide the required information, including your annual income, sources of income and monthly housing payments.
When will I receive the credit limit increase?
Your new credit line should appear in your account in up to three business days.
Get an automatic credit limit increase
In some cases, you could receive a credit limit increase by simply being a responsible cardholder. This means you need to:
- Use your card often. And if possible, use a larger portion of your credit line. But don’t max out your card.
- Pay your full balance on time. If you don’t, not only will you lower your chances of getting a credit limit increase but you will incur fees and interest and you could damage your credit score.
Apply for another card
In addition to increasing your credit line, getting a new credit card may come with additional perks, such as a signup bonus, rewards program or a 0% intro APR period.
Compare cards with higher credit limits
All credit cards in the table below come with a high credit limit. However, the credit line you receive depends on various factors, including your annual income, employment and creditworthiness.
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
How is my U.S. Bank credit limit determined?
U.S. Bank doesn’t provide details on how they determine your credit limit. However, all credit card providers weigh in the following:
- Annual income. High credit limit often comes with a high annual income.
- Employment. A steady job and a steady income show you can be a responsible cardholder.
- Creditworthiness. A clean credit history is another important factor as it shows you can pay off your debt.
- Utilization rate. Low utilization rate is another factor that shows you can easily manage debt.
- The type of credit card you apply for. Some cards come with a high credit limit off the bat, such as the Visa Signature or Mastercard World Elite.
How often will U.S. Bank increase my credit limit?
Consider waiting at least six months before requesting your first credit line increase. Then allow six months between any subsequent requests.
If your current credit line doesn’t satisfy your needs, request a credit limit increase either online or by phone. However, only make your request once you’ve used your card responsibly for at least six months to reduce chances of rejection.
As an alternative, you can also apply for a new credit card and get a new line of credit plus additional perks and features.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
How to choose a bank
How to choose a bank when you don’t know where to begin.
Alta prepaid card review
A prepaid card with built-in budgeting tools, early paydays and a savings account that earns 1% APY.
Porte Banking review
Porte donates to a charity whenever you use your card, but you can’t overdraft from savings.
How to find your routing number
Locating your bank’s routing number may not be obvious, but here’s where to find it.
Zeta Joint Card review
Zeta Joint Cards allow two people to share one account, but there are several drawbacks.
Best bank accounts for freelancers and the self-employed
Compare the five best bank accounts for self-employed professionals and freelancers.
Unifimoney account review
Unifimoney lets you spend, save and invest, but it’s only free for high-income individuals.
Does a car loan affect your mortgage application?
Find out how to increase your borrowing power and get approved for a mortgage even if you have a car loan.
AARP Travel Rewards Mastercard from Barclays review
A strong travel cashback card with no annual fee.
Finder’s Bitcoin Predictions Report: December 2020
58% of panelists expect the Bitcoin bull run to last until at least the second half of 2021.
Ask an Expert