Unum life insurance review August 2021
Get group life insurance through your employer from a top insurer, but you might not be able to customize your options.
finder.com's rating: 3.5 / 5
- Get a quote if… your employer offers Unum life insurance products.
- Pick something else if.. you’re looking for individual coverage apart from your employer.
15 to 80
Based on salary to $750,000
Not required for the guaranteed amount, but any coverage over the limit requires an exam
Medical Exam Required
|Policies||Term and whole life|
|Term lengths||Term length options are determined by your employer|
|Medical exam required||Not required for the guaranteed amount, but any coverage over the limit requires an exam|
|Available states||All 50 states|
|Issue age||Not listed|
- Insure your spouse or child
- Guarantee issue
- Paid-up at 70
- Additional 50% coverage option
- Group policies only
- Financial rating downgrades
Accelerated death benefit rider
Accidental death benefit rider
Heather Petty is a personal finance writer at Finder specializing in home loans, banking and insurance. After falling victim to a disreputable mortgage broker when buying her first home, she’s on a mission to help readers avoid similar experiences when managing their own finances. A self-proclaimed word nerd, her writing has been featured on MSN, Credit.com and MediaFeed.org, among others. Heather previously worked as a technical writer and editor for the casino systems industry and is an internationally published young adult mystery author. She holds a bachelor’s degree in English with a minor in journalism from the University of Nevada, Reno.
As a group life insurance provider, Unum gives you the opportunity to get basic coverage for you and your family regardless of your medical history. But if you’re looking for an individual plan that you can customize, shop around to see what other insurers have to offer.
Unum life insurance rates
The cost of your policy depends on how your employer structures your life insurance benefits. Some employers pay the premiums for their employees, some split the payment with their employees and others have their employees pay the entire premium.
If you pay your own premiums, we’ve included a sample of what that might look like based on info from Unum’s website. Sample rates are for a 20-year term policy for $150,000 of coverage.
|Age||Rate per $10,000||$50,000 salary x 3||Monthly premium|
|Employee, age 30||$0.39||$150,000||$5.85|
|Employee, age 40||$0.96||$150,000||$14.40|
|Employee, age 50||$2.57||$150,000||$38.55|
How to get a quote from Unum life insurance?
Contact your human resources department to sign up for your Unum life insurance group policy.
What types of life insurance coverage does Unum offer?
Unum offers two forms of life insurance through your employer.
- Term life insurance. Your term life options are determined by your employer, but most offer 20-year term policies with coverage in multiples of your salary.
- Whole life insurance. All Unum whole life policies come with a guaranteed interest rate of 4.5% to build cash value. If your policy comes with dividends, you can use them to purchase paid-up additions, pay your premiums, take the money as cash or leave the funds with your policy to accrue interest.
What riders can I add to my policy?
Depending on the options selected by your employer, you may be able to customize your policy using the following riders:
- Accidental death benefit rider. Doubles your death benefit if you die from a covered accident before 70 years old.
- Accelerated death benefit rider. If you’re expected to live 12 months or less, you can request a percentage of your death benefit, up to $150,000, to be paid out early. This may also be called the accelerated death benefit rider.
- Child rider. Allows you to buy up to $10,000 worth of term life insurance coverage for your child that lasts from 14 days old until their 25th birthday. At that point they can convert the policy to a whole life policy five times the original face amount value.
- Waiver-of-premium rider. Unum waives your premiums if you become totally disabled, for the length of your disability.
Unum life insurance reviews and complaints
Unum Group is not accredited with the Better Business Bureau but has an A+ rating, as of October 2020. The company closed 68 official complaints over the past three years and 21 this past year, but not all of those are specific to life insurance products.
Unum has just over a one-star rating with 38 customer reviews that mostly focus on trouble with the claims process and customer service issues. But it’s hard to get a read on how claims and service stack up for life insurance, because the reviews are mixed between life insurance, disability and health plans.
|AM Best financial rating||
1.32/5 out of 38 customer reviews
|Customer reviews verified as of||25 January 2021|
Compare life insurance companies like Unum
Life insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our experts analyze life insurance companies to help you to find the strongest possible policy and premium for your family’s needs. We assess their financial strength, customer satisfaction, policy features and riders. We then give each insurer a score between one and five stars that reflects their offering and reputation in the industry.