United Quest℠ Card review
A powerful addition to the Chase United credit card lineup
finder.com’s rating: 4.4 / 5
- Get this card if you want big United perks but you’re not into the luxury cost of the United Club℠ Infinite Card.
- Pick something else if you prefer a different selection of transfer partners or want different earning categories.
- Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
Miles as welcome offer
Up to 3x
16.49% to 23.49%
Purchase APR (variable)
|Welcome Offer||80,000 miles after spending in the first 3 months plus 20,000 miles after spending $10,000 in the first 6 months|
|Rewards||3x miles on United, 2x miles at restaurants, on select streaming services and all other travel, 1x on all other purchases|
|Purchase APR||16.49% to 23.49% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||N/A|
|Recommended minimum credit score||670|
Steven Dashiell is a writer at Finder specializing in all things credit cards. With more than 300 articles under his belt, he aims to help readers embrace credit cards and maximize their rewards. Steve is studying to become a Certified Educator in Personal Finance, and is a frequent face on Finder’s YouTube channel, offering the latest in credit card hacks and advice. His expertise has been featured on numerous outlets, including U.S. News & World Report, Time, CBS, Fox Business, Lifehacker, Martha Stewart Living and more.
The United Quest℠ Card card is a new cobranded airline card, bringing the number of available United credit cards to four total. It requires a $250 annual fee, earns 80,000 bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases within your first 3 months and another 20,000 after you spend $10,000 total in your first 6 months of account opening. It earns 3x miles on United purchases after you use your $125 statement credit, 2x miles on other travel, dining and select streaming services and 1x miles on all other purchases. It has an APR of 16.49% to 23.49% variable.
The United Quest℠ Card actually offers a larger signup bonus than the United Club℠ Infinite Card card, maxing out at 100,000 miles if you complete both spend requirements. Based on our April 2021 valuations, this comes out to a $1,200 value, which is mightily impressive for an airline card. The card is also unusual in that it still earns accelerated miles on non-United travel. This is rare for a cobranded airline card and United is one of the few airlines on the market to do so. It also bears mentioning that the only difference between the earning rates of the United Quest℠ Card and United Club℠ Infinite Card is the United Club℠ Infinite Card earns 4x miles on United purchases. Everything else is identical.
The card is undeniably strong — far more than it needs to be for the price point. Between the free anniversary miles, the annual statement credit and the free checked bags, you hardly need to lift a finger to make up for the annual cost of the card. If you’re a United traveler, the biggest question is whether you want to pay extra to spring for the United Club℠ Infinite Card and its United Club membership. But if you’re not worried about lounge access, the value of the United Quest℠ Card is tough to beat.
How to apply for the United Quest℠ Card
Applying for the United Quest℠ Card is straightforward.
- Learn more about how to apply for United Quest℠ Card.
- Click Apply now, fill out the requested information and click Submit.
What credit score do I need to get the United Quest℠ Card?
The United Quest℠ Card is a premium offering, so you’ll want a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher before you apply.
United Quest℠ Card benefits
- Earn United miles. You’ll earn 3x miles on United purchases after you redeem your $125 annual statement credit. You’ll also earn 2x miles on other travel purchases, including airfare, trains, local transit, cruise lines, hotels, car rentals, taxicabs, resorts, rideshare services and tolls. Finally, earn 2x miles on dining and select streaming services and 1x miles on everything else. These miles are nearly identical to the rates offered by the premier luxury United card, the United Club Infinite.
- Big signup bonus. Earn 80,000 miles after you spend $5,000 in your first 3 months. Earn an additional 20,000 miles after you spend $10,000 total within your first 6 months. This is a $1,200 value when redeemed through United.
- Annual United credit. You’ll have enjoy a $125 United statement credit account anniversary year.
- Anniversary award flight credits. Earn 5,000 miles back on your MileagePlus account when you take a United or United Express award flight booked with your miles, up to two times each anniversary year.
- Free checked bags. Your first and second standard checked bags are free of charge each way when purchasing your tickets with your United Quest℠ Card. This applies to the cardholder and one companion, for a savings of up to $320 each round trip.
- Global Entry or TSA PreCheck statement credit. You’ll receive up to $100 in statement credits toward your Global Entry or TSA PreCheck statement credit. This perk refreshes every five years.
- Priority boarding. The cardholder and companions on the same reservation are invited to board United flights prior to general boarding.
- In flight discounts. You’ll receive 25% back on eligible United inflight purchases, including food, beverages and Wi-Fi.
- No blackout dates. Cardholders using their miles to book flights won’t be subject to blackout dates.
- Complimentary premier upgrades. Cardholders using their miles to book a flight may receive complimentary premier upgrades when available.
- Luxury Hotel and Resort Collection. Enjoy complimentary perks when staying at eligible Luxury Hotel and Resort Collection hotels and resorts.
- Travel insurance. This card offers various travel insurance coverage for your trips, including trip cancellation and interruption, baggage delay, lost luggage, trip delay, and auto rental collision damage coverage.
- Purchase protection. New purchases made using this card are covered for 120 days against damage or theft on up to $10,000 per claim on up to $50,000 per year. Also receive extended warranty protection for up to a year on eligible purchases.
- Visa Concierge. This card offers Visa Concierge service, which can help you perform tasks, research and more.
Compare credit cards
See how this card compares to other rewards cards.
What to watch out for
- Signup bonus limitations. You can’t receive this card’s signup bonus if you already own a United Quest℠ Card or have received a signup bonus on a United Quest℠ Card in the past 24 months. This card is also subject to the Chase 5/24 rule.
- No intro APR. This card doesn’t offer a 0% APR on purchases or balance transfers.
- Average APR. This card’s APR ranges from 16.49% to 23.49%, which is rather average for such a feature rich card.
United Quest℠ Card reviews and complaints
At the time of this review, the card hasn’t been available long enough to garner customer reviews.
JPMorgan Chase Credit Card is not accredited with the Better Business Bureau but currently has an A+ rating and a composite score of 1.18 out of 5 stars based on 241 customer reviews as of April 2021. Most customer complaints revolve around poor customer service.
As of October 2020, Chase earns a Trustpilot score of 1.3 out of 5. Most negative reviews cite slow responses to fraud complaints and less-than-helpful customer service. Positive reviews mention the bank’s mobile app and quick responses to their issues.
Whether you’re an existing United cardholder or you’ve been on the fence, you’ll want to give the United Chase Quest your close attention. It offers outstanding value, handily making up for the cost of the card and nearly pulls the rug out from the $525 United Club℠ Infinite Card.
If you’re not a United traveler however and this card isn’t right for you, you can compare all travel card options to find one that suits your travel needs.
Credit card ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our team evaluates credit cards to determine their value against similar cards on the market.
We rank card types — travel, cash back, business — on a set of factors that are most relevant to that type of card. We create these rankings to help you narrow down a credit card that best suits your spending and budget.