An airline card for businesses that spend big on gas, dining, office supplies and United flights.
- Get this card if you fly with United and make frequent business purchases on gas, dining and office supplies.
- Pick something else if your business needs more varied travel rewards.
- Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
|Product Name||United℠ Explorer Business Card|
|Annual Fee||$0 intro annual fee for the first year ($95 thereafter)|
|Purchase APR||18.24% to 25.24% variable|
|Intro Purchase APR|
|Balance Transfer APR||18.24% to 25.24% variable|
|Intro Balance Transfer APR|
|Balance Transfer Fee||$5 or 5% of the transaction, whichever is greater|
|Cash Advance Rate||27.24% variable|
|Foreign Transaction Fee||None|
|Cash Advance Fee||$15 or 5% of the cash advance amount, whichever is greater|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 20 days|
|Late Payment Fee||Up to $39|
|Returned Payment Fee||$39|
|Additional Cardholder Fee||$0|
|Rates & Fees||Rates & Fees|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Welcome Offer||75,000 bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open|
|Rewards||Earn 2x miles at restaurants, gas stations and office supply stores, 2x miles on tickets purchased from United and 1x miles on all other purchases.|
|Base Rewards||1x miles|
|Rewards Points Expiry||Never|
Unlike some airline cards, the United℠ Explorer Business Card can be a versatile tool for many businesses. That’s because it offers 1x miles not only on United ticket purchases, but also on common business categories like gas, dining and office supplies. It also offers a good signup bonus: 75,000 miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months. This bonus can go a long way, especially if you’re willing to wait for United’s Saver Award routes that cost fewer miles.
Chase United business credit cards compared
|United℠ Explorer Business Card||United MileagePlus® Club Business Card|
|Annual fee||$95 starting the second year||$450|
|Sign-up bonus||75,000 miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months||$100 statement credit after your first purchase|
|Hotel benefits||Yes — room upgrades, complimentary breakfast, etc.||Yes — room upgrades, complimentary breakfast, etc.|
|Hotel loyalty program upgrade||No||Discoverist status in World of Hyatt|
|United Club membership||No — 2 United Club passes each year||Yes|
|Miles boost||Yes — 10,000 bonus miles after you spend $25,000 on purchases in a calendar year||No|
Signup bonus: 75,000 bonus miles.
After you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months, you’ll earn 75,000 miles.
These 75,000 bonus miles can go a long way. For flights that are less than 700 miles each way in distance, you can find round-trip fares within the mainland US for as low as 20,000 miles. And for longer flights in the mainland US, you can find round-trip fares as low as 25,000 miles.
Rewards: Earn up to 2x miles.
Earn 2x miles in business categories — restaurants, gas stations and office supply stores — and on tickets you purchase from United. This may be an attractive mix of rewards categories, especially as some airline cards only offer accelerated rewards on airline purchases.
Earn 1x miles on everything else you buy.
You can earn unlimited miles, and miles don’t expire as long as your card account is open.
On each United flight, you and one companion can each check one bag free. Normally, checking your first bag costs $25. You’ll also receive two complimentary United Club passes every year. A day pass to the United Club is worth $59.
You and your travel companions will receive priority boarding, which lets you board in Group 2. This means you board behind the pre-boarding group and Group 1, but in front of Groups 3 to 5.
If you’re a MileagePlus Premier® member and you’re traveling on an award ticket, you’re eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades on flights operated by United.
You’ll also like …
Employee cards cost nothing.
Add employees to your card account at no cost. This can be an excellent way to earn more rewards, as you’ll earn miles on your employees’ spending, too.
Each calendar year you spend $25,000 or more on your card, you’ll receive 10,000 bonus miles. This is enough for a One-Way Saver Award flight that’s under 700 miles in distance.
No foreign transaction fees.
You won’t incur fees when you use your card abroad or on foreign websites. Typically, providers charge a 3% fee each time you use your card for an international transaction. It doesn’t sound like much, but it can add up over a trip spanning several days.
Since the United℠ Explorer Business Card comes with no foreign transaction fees, it’s an excellent choice for vacations or business trips.
Benefits at The Luxury Hotel & Resort Collection properties.
When you stay at a property in The Luxury Hotel & Resort Collection (LHRC), you’ll receive benefits like room upgrades, early check-in, late checkout and complementary daily breakfast for two. Just book your reservation through the LHRC website or an LHRC Travel Specialist.
There are over 900 properties in the Luxury Hotel & Resort Collection, including properties under the Intercontinental Hotels, Waldorf Astoria, W Hotels, Mandarin Oriental and Park Hyatt brands.
Travel and purchase coverage.
Enjoy benefits like baggage delay insurance, lost luggage reimbursement, trip cancellation insurance, trip delay reimbursement and auto rental collision damage waivers. Also, get purchase price protection on eligible items you buy with your card.
Access to Visa Concierge.
Use the 24/7 Visa Signature Concierge Service for help with dining and entertainment plans. You can also call for help finding gifts.
Through Chase Inside Access, you can purchase tickets to private, exclusive events such as celebrity meet-and-greets, sporting events and culinary experiences. Also, you can use your miles to access United MileagePlus events such as winemaker dinners and golf outings, and to obtain VIP access to museum and theater events.
What to watch out for
Intro annual fee expires after the first year.
You’ll pay a $0 annual fee for the first year. Starting the second year, however, you’ll pay a $95 annual fee.
If you make a late or returned payment, Chase may raise your purchase, balance transfer and cash advance APR as high as 29.99% variable. This is known as a penalty APR. Chase may apply this rate to your account indefinitely.
Fees for late and returned payments.
If you make a late payment, you’ll incur a fee of $15 if your balance is less than $100; $29 if your balance is between $100 and $250; and $39 if your balance is $250 or more. If you make a returned payment, you’ll incur a fee of $39.
Potentially high APR.
Depending on your credit, you may receive a purchase and balance transfer APR as high as 25.24% variable. The average credit card APR is around 16%.
Compare business credit cards
What size business is the United℠ Explorer Business Card good for?
The United℠ Explorer Business Card can be a good pick for businesses of all sizes, mainly because it offers accelerated rewards in more categories than just airfare. For example, you can still earn significant miles if you often spend on gas or office supplies. That means you don’t have to take countless business flights just to earn strong rewards.
Starting your second card year, the United℠ Explorer Business Card has a $95 annual fee. United miles are worth around 1.5 cents apiece. Given that rate, you need to earn around 6,335 miles — or spend $3,168 in the card’s 2x-miles categories — to break even on the annual fee.
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for the United℠ Explorer Business Card, you must be:
- At least 18 years old, or at least 19 years old if you’re a resident of Alabama or Nebraska.
- A resident within the 50 United States or the District of Columbia.
- Applying for a business that is headquartered within the 50 United States or the District of Columbia.
Information you’ll need
To complete the application, you’ll need to provide information about yourself and your business, including:
- Your name, residential status and residential address.
- Your Social Security number.
- Your email address, phone number and date of birth.
- Financial information like your annual income and source of income.
- The name of your business, its mailing address and its employee count.
- Your years in business and annual business revenue.
- Your business’s tax identification number.
What credit score do I need?
You’ll have a better chance of being approved for the United℠ Explorer Business Card if you apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher. If you have a healthy business and excellent credit, your likelihood of approval is strong.
Here are a few other factors that might affect your odds of approval:
- You’re a current Chase customer. Chase is reportedly more likely to approve its current banking and credit card customers. This makes sense, as it can more readily evaluate your financial stability with the data it already has. Furthermore, it has an incentive to keep you happy as a customer.
- Hard pulls on your credit report. If you have several hard inquiries — or hard pulls — on your report, it could imply you’re having trouble managing your debt. Chase might think you’re desperate for credit and may be less likely to take you on as a customer.
- Factors that tie into your credit score. Your credit utilization is a major factor Chase considers. The bank prefers a customer with low balances relative to their credit limit. Having many new card accounts may be a red flag too, as it could indicate you’re desperate for credit. It may also give the impression that you’re a flighty customer who’s just hunting for signup bonuses.
What do customers say about the United℠ Explorer Business Card?
Cardholders are generally very pleased with the card’s rewards, though some wish the card came with no annual fee.
The JPMorgan Chase Credit Card division is not accredited by the Better Business Bureau, but it earns an overall A+ rating from the agency as of June 2018. Still, over 90% of its reviews are negative, with complaints of stonewalling customer support and, in some cases, of Chase not honoring signup bonuses.
Chase earns a Trustpilot score of 5.5 out of 10 at the time of this writing. Most negative reviews cite slow responses to fraud complaints and less-than-helpful customer service. Positive reviews cite the bank’s great mobile app and quick resolutions to their issues. Overall, your mileage may vary with Chase customer support.
How to apply for the United℠ Explorer Business Card
- Go to the Chase website and click Apply Now.
- Complete the application with details like your name, address, annual income, Social Security number and business information.
- Review your application and submit it.
How long will it take to be approved?
Because conditional approval is automated on the Chase website, you’ll often get a decision immediately. In some cases, you’ll need to wait a few days to a few weeks to receive a response.
I got the card. Now what?
- Make timely payments. Pay your card bill online at the Chase website, where you can enroll in autopay.
- Avoid interest. After the close of each billing cycle, you have a grace period of at least 20 days to pay your balance. If you do, you won’t pay interest on your purchases.
- Avoid fees. Late and returned payments come with fees of up to $39. The balance transfer fee is $5 or 5%, whichever is greater, and the cash advance fee is 5% or $15, whichever is greater.
- Contact customer service. If you have questions, contact Chase Credit Cards support at 1-800-432-3117.
The United℠ Explorer Business Card can be a good choice whether or not you fly United often. That’s because it offers accelerated rewards in more categories than just airline tickets. With a $95 annual fee starting the second year, it can be an accessible pick regardless of the size of your business.
Frequently asked questions