United Home Insurance Company (UHIC) review
What home insurance coverage does United offer?
- Get a quote if you want agent support from a well-established company
- Pick something else if you want online quotes and tools, or live outside the service areas
- Farmers enjoy the convenience and savings of bundling home and farm insurance
CT, FL, GA, HI, LA, MA, NJ, NC
- Well-established secure company with financial transparency
- A basic approach without all the extras
- Bundle your policies for ease and convenience
- Only available in three states
- No extras also means few discounts or add-ons.
|New home discount discount||Yes|
|New homeowner discount||No|
|Home safety features discount||No|
|New policy discount||No|
|No claims discount||No|
|Personal property coverage||Yes|
|Valuable personal property||Yes|
|Identity theft coverage||No|
Heather Petty is a personal finance writer at Finder, specializing in home and personal loans. After falling victim to a disreputable mortgage broker when buying her first home, she’s on a mission to help readers avoid similar experiences when managing their own finances. A self-proclaimed word nerd, her writing has been featured on MSN, Credit.com and MediaFeed, among others. Heather previously worked as a technical writer and editor for the casino systems industry and is an internationally published young adult mystery author. She earned a bachelor’s degree in English with a minor in journalism from the University of Nevada, Reno.
If you’re looking for a regional company offering basic insurance coverage, United could be a great fit. The more traditional take and long-term experience may appeal to you, but if you want a company with a better online footprint and more options, shop around to find the best policy for you.
United offers the following home insurance coverage in the five states where they operate:
- Homeowners. Covers the structural repairs or rebuilding of your home due to loss or damage caused by a covered event, which includes fire, hail and windstorm, among other select events. This coverage also includes personal property coverage.
- Dwelling fire. A less comprehensive dwelling policy ideal for rentals, seasonal properties and lower-value homes.
- Earthquake. This optional endorsement includes an earthquake as a covered event for the United homeowner’s policy.
What home insurance discounts can I get?
United doesn’t advertise discounts online. To find a complete list of discounts on offer, contact an agent. The only discounts referenced on their website include:
- New home. If your home is less than 10 years old, you qualify for a discount.
- Bundling discount. Bundle your home insurance with an auto policy and you can save.
Pros and cons of United home insurance
- Financially stable. United has been offering insurance for over 100 years and is completely transparent about its financial stats by providing quarterly reports on its website.
- Back to basics. Its more basic offerings and agent focus will appeal to clients who don’t want to wade through lists of discounts or add-ons on their own.
- Bundled policies. United allows you to bundle your home and farm policies as well as your home, auto and rental policies for convenience and savings.
- Limited regions. United only operates in five states: Arkansas, Kansas, Kentucky, Oklahoma and Tennessee.
- Limited information. United’s more traditional approach makes it hard to find its policy details or prices without contacting an agent.
How to apply for United home insurance
United doesn’t offer online quotes or applications. To apply for a policy, you have to contact a local agent.
- From the home page, click Find an Agent.
- Enter your address and a travel radius and the map will show the United agents available near you.
- Select an agent and use the contact info provided to make the call.