Enjoy free checks and incoming wire transfers, but be ready with a $200 minimum opening deposit.
This West Coast provider’s top-tier checking account comes with free checks and incoming wire transfers, plus up to $25 in ATM fee rebates each month. But you’ll need a $200 minimum opening deposit, and unless you can maintain a daily balance of at least $15,000, expect a monthly maintenance fee.
|Monthly fee||$20 per month|
|To waive the fee||Maintain a $15,000 minimum daily balance OR a $25,000 combined deposit and outstanding loan balance in eligible accounts|
|Minimum deposit to open||$200|
|ATMs||Surcharge-free Umpqua ATMs in all of the network's 5 states, plus up to $25 per month in ATM-owner fee rebates|
|ATM transaction fee||$0|
|Out-of-network ATM fee||$2.50|
|Foreign transaction fee||2%|
|Nonsufficient funds fee||$35|
|Deposit methods||Cash by teller|
Cash by ATM
Check by teller
Check by ATM
Mobile/remote check deposit
What are the benefits of the Umpqua Attain Checking account?
Like all Umpqua Bank accounts, the bank is insured by the FDIC for up to $250,000. Manage your account online or through an app and transfer funds, review transaction and deposit checks, or visit one of it’s locations.
- ATM fee rebates. Receive up to $25 in fee rebates for using non-Umpqua ATMs each month.
- Complimentary savings account. Automatically qualify for up to five Umpqua Grow Savings or Thrive Money Market accounts with no monthly maintenance fees.
- Free checks. Order through Harland Clarke and receive your personal checks at no extra cost.
- Free incoming wire transfers. Umpqua’s $15 incoming wire transfer fee is waived for those who hold an Umpqua Attain Checking account.
- Free account statements. While paper statements are subject to a $3 fee for Umpqua Embark and Access checking accounts, Umpqua Attain Checking account holders pay no fee for account statements.
Umpqua’s ATM network and fees
Umpqua’s ATM network covers Washington, Oregon, Idaho, California and Nevada. There’s no fee to use Umpqua ATMs, though using your debit card outside the network will cost you $2.50.
At Umpqua ATMs, you can check your account balance, review transactions, transfer funds, withdraw cash, request an account statement and change your PIN.
What should I look out for?
- $20 monthly fee. This account comes with a $20 monthly maintenance fee that can be waived if you maintain at least a $15,000 daily balance, have a combined deposit and outstanding loan balance of $25,000 across all accounts with Umpqua.
- $200 minimum deposit. A minimum deposit of $200 is required to open this account.
- Wire transfer fees. While incoming wire transfers come free with this account, outgoing domestic wire transfers cost $30 and outgoing international wire transfers cost $50.
- Foreign transaction fees. You can use your Umpqua debit card outside the US, but expect to see an added 2% international processing fee on top of the non-Umpqua Bank ATM fee.
- Limited availability. Umpqua banking products are only available to residents of Washington, Oregon, Idaho, California and Nevada.
Compare with other checking accounts
How much do I need to open an account?
You can open an Umpqua Attain Checking account in person or online with an opening deposit of at least $200.
How do I apply?
1. Go to Umpqua’s website and click Open now under the Umpqua Attain Checking account.
2. Review the information you’ll need to complete your application. Click Continue.
3. Enter your full name, date of birth, email address, Social Security number and employment status. Click Continue.
4. Enter your address. Click Continue.
5. Review Umpqua’s overdraft options and indicate whether you’d like to add overdraft protection to your checking account. Click Continue.
6. Select two security questions to use to protect your online account. Enter the answers to your selected questions. Click Continue.
7. Review the information you’ve submitted and make any necessary changes. Next, review Umpqua’s account disclosures and e-sign authorization. Click Continue.
To complete your application, you’ll need to fund your new account with a deposit of at least $200. You can use an existing Umpqua account, external bank account, credit card or debit card.
Your Umpqua Attain Checking account debit card will arrive in the mail soon after. Once your account is activated, you can register for online banking on Umpqua’s website.
To be eligible for an Umpqua Attain Checking account, you’ll need to meet the following criteria:
- Be a US citizen
- Be at least 18 years old
- Reside in California, Washington, Oregon, Idaho or Nevada
- Have a US residential address
- Have a Social Security number
- Have a valid bank account
- Primary home address
- Valid email address
- Valid phone number
- Social Security number
- Driver’s license or valid state ID
- Bank account and routing number of the account you plan to use to fund your checking account
What other checking options does Umpqua offer?
In addition to its Umpqua Attain Checking account, Umpqua also offers the following checking accounts:
- Embark Checking. Umpqua’s basic checking account comes with no maintenance fees and up to $10 in monthly ATM fee rebates for using non-Umpqua ATMs.
- Access Checking. An opening deposit of $25 is required, but you’ll receive four non-Umpqua ATM fee rebates and one free incoming wire transfer monthly.
- Community Business Checking. This business checking account comes with 200 free checks each month and the option to waive the monthly $10 maintenance fee if you minimum daily balance of $1,000.
- Marketplace Checking. Receive 500 free checks each month and have the $25 monthly fee waived if you maintain a minimum daily balance of $25,000.
- Business Analyzed Checking. Umpqua’s top-tier business checking account requires a minimum deposit of $100 to open with an $18 monthly fee that can be offset with earnings credits.
Bottom lineUmpqua Attain Checking account comes with free checks, free incoming wire transfers, mobile banking and ATM fee rebates. But it requires a $200 minimum deposit to open and has a $20 monthly maintenance fee — not to mention its availability is limited to residents of California, Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Nevada.
Explore your options with other providers to make sure you find the account best suited to your banking needs.