Umpqua Access Checking account review
Its ATM rebates and one free wire transfer are appealing, but additional fees could chip at your funds.
finder.com’s rating: 2.8 / 5.0
If you’re a West Coast resident, Umpqua Access Checking account offers several appealing perks. It comes with mobile banking, bill pay and one free incoming wire transfer per month. But maintenance, wire transfer and paper statement fees could really dig at your funds.
$5 per month
Minimum deposit to open
|Fee||$5 per month|
|To waive the fee||$0 with 10 or more posted debit card purchases/payments per month|
$0 with one direct deposit of $500 or more per month
$0 with one mobile deposit of $250 or more per month
|Minimum deposit to open||$25|
|ATMs||Surcharge-free Umpqua ATMs in all of the network's 5 states, plus 4 non-Umpqua ATM fee rebates per month|
|ATM transaction fee||$0|
|ATM fee rebates||Up to 4 rebates per month|
|Out-of-network ATM fee||$2.50|
|Foreign transaction fee||2%|
|Nonsufficient funds fee||$35|
Shannon Terrell is a writer for Finder who studied communications and English literature at the University of Toronto. On any given day, you can find her researching everything from equine financing and business loans to student debt refinancing and how to start a trust. She loves hot coffee, the smell of fresh books and discovering new ways to save her pennies.
The Umpqua Access Checking account is only available to residents of Washington, Oregon, Idaho, California and Nevada.
Compared to Umpqua’s other checking accounts, this one is best for those traveling outside of the West Coast or looking for more savings options.
It offers four monthly rebates on out-of-network ATMs, one incoming wire fee refund a month and the ability to add up to three Umpqua savings accounts with no monthly maintenance fees when linked to your Access Checking account.
What are the benefits of the Umpqua Access Checking account?
- ATM fee rebates. Receive up to four fee rebates monthly for using non-Umpqua ATMs.
- Complimentary savings account. Signing up for an Umpqua Access Checking account automatically qualifies you for up to three Grow Savings or Thrive Money Market accounts with no monthly maintenance fees.
- Free incoming wire transfer. Receive one refundable incoming wire transfer monthly.
- Bill pay. Automate your bill payments with Umpqua Access Checking account with no daily transaction limits.
- Mobile banking. Umpqua’s mobile banking app is free to download for Android and iOS and allows you to transfer funds, review transactions and deposit checks.
- Security. Deposits of up to $250,000 are insured by the FDIC.
- Support. If you need help, Umpqua’s customer support is available seven days a week by both phone and email.
Umpqua’s ATM network and fees
The Umpqua ATM network includes Washington, Oregon, Idaho, California and Nevada. There’s no fee to access your funds using an Umpqua ATM. However, using an ATM outside of its network comes with a $2.50 fee.
At an Umpqua ATM, you can check your account balance, transfer funds, withdraw or deposit cash and change your PIN.
What should I look out for?
- $25 minimum deposit. You’ll need an opening deposit of at least $25.
- $5 monthly maintenance fee. This fee is waived if you make 10 or more debit card purchases monthly, receive a direct deposit of at least $500 monthly or make monthly mobile deposits of at least $250.
- $3 paper statement fee. If you opt for paper statements with this account, you’ll pay a monthly $3 fee.
- Limited availability. Umpqua accounts are only available to residents of Washington, Oregon, Idaho, California and Nevada.
- Additional fees. Watch out for $35 insufficient funds fees, $15 incoming wire transfer fees and outgoing wire transfer fees of $30 to $50.
If you prefer to bank with an institution with more ATMs, you’ll want to keep looking. As always, compare your options when choosing a checking account.
Compare Umpqua with other checking accounts
How much do I need to open an account?
You can open an Umpqua Access Checking account in person or online with an opening deposit of at least $25.
How do I apply?
1. Go to Umpqua’s site and click Open Now under the Access Checking account.
2. Review the information you’ll need to provide to complete your application. Click Continue.
3. Tell Umpqua more about yourself, including your name, date of birth, email address, Social Security number and employment status. Click Continue.
4. Enter your address and click Continue.
5. Review Umpqua’s overdraft options and indicate whether you’d like to add overdraft protection to your checking account. Click Continue.
6. Select two security questions to protect your online account. Enter the answers to your selected questions. Click Continue.
7. Review the information you’ve submitted and make any necessary changes. Next, review Umpqua’s account disclosures and e-sign authorization. Click Continue.
To complete your application, you’ll need to deposit at least $25 into your new checking account. You can do this with an existing Umpqua account if you have one, an account from another bank, credit card or debit card.
You’ll receive your Umpqua Access Checking account debit card in the mail. Once your account is activated, you can register for online banking through Umpqua’s site.
Before you apply for an Umpqua Access Checking account, you must:
- Be a US citizen.
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Reside in California, Washington, Oregon, Idaho or Nevada.
- Have a US residential address.
- Have a Social Security number.
- Have a valid bank account.
- Primary home address.
- Valid email address.
- Valid phone number.
- Social Security number.
- Driver’s license or valid state ID.
- Bank account number and routing number of the account you plan to use to fund your checking account.
What other checking options does Umpqua offer?
In addition to its Umpqua Access Checking account, Umpqua also offers the following checking account options:
- Embark Checking. This basic checking account has no fees and offers up to $10 in fee rebates for using non-Umpqua ATMs each month.
- Attain Checking. A $200 minimum deposit is required to open this account, but it comes with free incoming wire transfers, free checks and higher interest rates on Umpqua CDs.
- Community Business Checking. Receive 200 free checks each month with the option to waive the monthly $10 fee if you maintain a $1,000 minimum daily balance.
- Marketplace Checking. This account comes with 500 free checks each month and a monthly $25 fee that’s waived if you maintain a $25,000 minimum daily balance.
- Business Analyzed Checking. A $100 minimum deposit is required to open Umpqua’s top-tier business checking account, and its $18 monthly fee can be offset with earnings credits.
Frequently asked questions
Checking account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top checking accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: monthly fees, the ease at which monthly fees can be waived, the breadth of ATM access, ATM and overdraft fees, and customer service.