More Than van insurance

More Than van insurance review

We've checked out the van insurance from More Than and highlighted what's covered to help you decide if this insurer can offer you a good deal.

No reviews yet. Write a review

More Than offers personal and business van insurance suitable for a range of budgets. It says it can even be enhanced to suit specific requirements such as cover for tools. What’s more, the insurer claims to offer existing customers up to 15% off additional van insurance policies. Here’s what else we think you should know about this 5-star-Defaqto-rated van insurer.

Who is More Than?

More Than was launched in 2001 and provides a range of insurance products, including van, car, landlord, pet, home, caravan and travel insurance.

More Than is a trading name of Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc, which is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority.

What are More Than’s levels of cover?

To be on UK roads, all drivers are legally required to have at least third party van insurance. More Than doesn’t offer third party on its own, but it does offer two higher levels of cover.

  • Third party, fire and theft (TPFT). If you are responsible for causing an accident, you’ll be protected for damage to other people’s vehicles or property. You’ll also have protection against any fire damage or theft of your van.
  • Comprehensive. This is the highest level of cover on offer through More Than and will provide the same protection as TPFT as well as insuring your van against accidental damage and vandalism. It’s always worth checking the cost of comprehensive as it can be cheaper than third party or TPFT.

Optional extras

More Than offers a range of additional protection to bolt onto your policy, including:

  • Breakdown cover. More Than offers four levels of RAC breakdown cover.
  • Temporary hire van. Options from 7,14 or 21 days of cover while your van is being repaired at one of More Than’s recommended repairers.
  • Enhanced EU cover. Comprehensive cover for up to 120 days.
  • No-claims discount protection. Keep your no-claims discount intact as long as you make no more than two claims over five years of cover.
  • In-van electronics cover. Cover for audio, telephone, satellite navigation systems and visual entertainment equipment.
  • Personal belongings cover (with comprehensive only). Cover for loss or damage to personal possessions in or on your van.
  • Goods in transit cover (with business use only). Covers for loss or damage to goods being carried that relate to your business such as tools and personal belongings.
  • Tools in van cover. More Than offers three cover levels for the loss or damage of tools up to £500, £1,000 or £1,500.

What is covered under my policy?

Cover benefitsThird party, fire and theftComprehensive
Liability to other people
Fire and theft
Accidental damage
Windscreen cover
Third party EU cover
New van cover up to an additional £3,000 on top of the vehicle’s market value if under one year old and written off
Personal accident cover up to £5,000

Check your policy details carefully to ensure you have the right cover for your needs.

What is my excess?

Your insurance excess is the amount of money you will need to pay towards a claim. Your insurer won’t pay out for a claim that costs less than this amount. A compulsory excess amount might vary depending on the age of your van and your driving experience.

A voluntary excess is on top and is normally set by you when taking out a policy. You’ll have the option of adding or increasing a voluntary excess – which should lower your premium.

You’ll find details about any compulsory or voluntary excesses in your policy document.

What is the claims process for More Than?

You should call the More Than claims line on 0330 102 4589 to make a claim.
The claims line is open Mondays to Fridays 8am to 8pm and Saturdays 8am to 4pm.

Alternatively, you can complete the initial online claims form within the claims section of the More Than website.

You will need to provide the following information:

  • Details about the incident
  • Names and contact details of everyone involved in the incident, including passengers, third parties, any witnesses
  • The makes, models and registration numbers of all vehicles involved
  • Third party insurance details and policy numbers
  • Crime reference number, if applicable
  • Digital photographs, if available

It’s vital that you let your insurer know about an incident as soon as possible, even if it’s not your fault. Failure to do this could result in a rejected claim later on.

Pros and cons for More Than van insurance


  • More Than’s van insurance is 5-star Defaqto-rated
  • Third party EU cover included with comprehensive cover
  • Policies can be enhanced with extra protection


  • Claims line is not open 24/7
  • No courtesy van hire as standard
  • You will have to pay an admin fee if you decide to cancel your policy

The offers compared on this page are chosen from a range of products we can track; we don't cover every product on the market...yet. Unless we've indicated otherwise, products are shown in no particular order or ranking. The terms "best", "top", "cheap" (and variations), aren't product ratings, although we always explain what's great about a product when we highlight it; this is subject to our terms of use. When making a big financial decision, it's wise to consider getting independent financial advice, and always consider your own financial circumstances when comparing products so you get what's right for you.

More guides on Finder

Go to site