What to know about travelling from the UK to Thailand during COVID-19
The latest on quarantine status, COVID-19 vaccine and test requirements and local restrictions for Brits travelling to Thailand.
Before you try to leave United Kingdom, use our guide to skill up on what you need to do to ensure your journey is possible and, if it is, goes as smoothly as it can.
Can I travel from United Kingdom to Thailand?
Yes, from December 2020 Thailand is accepting British travellers for tourism purposes. There are currently plans of making Phuket quarantine-free if the British traveller has been vaccinated as of 1 July 2021. Keep in mind that travel back to the UK may be difficult as returning flights are few and far between.
Latest information for Thailand
|Number of cases in past 7 days||Border status||Vaccine required?|
COVID-19 statistics in Thailand vs United Kingdom
New COVID-19 Deaths
Total Population Vaccinated for COVID-19 (%)
Getting to Thailand and travelling around once there
Which entry points in Thailand are open to travellers from United Kingdom?Thailand has multiple points of entry, and the following are accepting international travellers from United Kingdom:
- Open Borders: All land borders are open, though before you cross be aware that many are dangerous to cross. For example, the Thailand-Cambodia border often closes with little notice due to border disputes and the Thailand-Myanmar and Thailand-Malaysia borders are renowned for high levels of violence and attacks.
As a traveller from United Kingdom, can I travel anywhere once I'm in Thailand?Yes, once in Thailand, Brits are free to travel anywhere.
What's open in Thailand?
National parks, beaches, shopping centres and other attractions have reopened but some rules apply as safety measures.
Major tourist attractions that are open:
- The Grand Palace, Bangkok
- Wat Arun Ratchawararam Ratchawaramahawihan, Bangkok
- Temple of the Emerald Buddha, Bangkok
- Railay Beach, Railay
- Khaosan Road, Bangkok
- Similan Islands (closed from May-October annually for regeneration only)
- Wat Rong Khun, Chiang Rai
- Walking trails, parks and beaches: Most national parks and their walking trails have reopened for public access. Some may still be closed due to lack of control measures. Before you head out, check the official websites to ensure that your specific park or walking track is open. Beaches throughout Thailand are allowed to reopen. Note that some may be closed due to seasonality or for rejuvenation purposes.
- Shopping centres and stores: All shops and stores are permitted to reopen. This is not limited to essential stores such as supermarkets and pharmacies, but includes large shopping malls and indoor and outdoor markets. Depending on the province you are visiting there may be strict controls in shopping centres. This can include the policing of physical distancing and reduced opening hours.
- Restaurants, cafes and bars: Food establishments across the nation are permitted to reopen. However, depending on what control zone they are in, there may be some restrictions involved.
Can I cruise to or around Thailand?Luxury cruise lines, including those that travel from United Kingdom to Thailand, have suspended operations until at least mid-2021. These dates are subject to change.
What are the entry requirements for Thailand coming from United Kingdom?
Do I need a permit to enter Thailand?No, British citizens and permanent residents do not need a permit or visa to enter Thailand. Until September 2021 people travelling from the UK may stay in Thailand for up to 45 days. To enter Thailand, Britons do need a Certificate of Entry.
Do I need proof I've had a vaccine to travel?For the moment, Brits do not need proof of a vaccine to travel to Thailand.
However, as of 1 July 2021, Phuket intends to open up its borders to the world and will require Brits to be vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to enter without the need to quarantine.
It is unclear as to whether British travellers entering Phuket after 1 July can travel quarantine-free to other areas of Thailand - this page will be updated as soon as more information is available.
Once vaccines become more prevalent they could replace the need for Britons to enter quarantine when they arrive in Thailand.
Do I need proof I've had a negative test before departing Thailand?Yes, if you're travelling from United Kingdom to Thailand you'll need to present proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR test.
This must be taken no later than 72 hours prior to your departure from United Kingdom.
Do I need to quarantine when I arrive in Thailand?All British travellers, unless exempt, must complete 10 days of quarantine. visitors only have to do seven days if they have been vaccinated. For non-Thai British nationals this is at your own expense and is allowed at permitted hotels only.
Britons arriving from the following countries still need to do the full 14-days even if they've been vaccinated.
- South Africa
Frequently asked questions about travelling from United Kingdom to Thailand:
Current travel deals to ThailandWhether or not now is the right time to travel to Thailand, these deals are ready to go as soon as you are. Many companies are offering flexible travel options to Thailand or are discounting future travel, so it's a great time to bag a bargain.
More guides on Finder
AMC Entertainment shares extend year-long rally to 2,000%
AMC Entertainment Shares surpassed $50 last week to be up more than 2,000% this year, replacing GameStop as Reddit investors most beloved meme stock.
Best car seats of 2021
We used ADAC safety testing data to compare the 10 best child car seats to buy in the UK for 2021. Compare price, weight and safety features.
Amazon Prime Day Shopping Statistics 2021
20% of British adults plan to shop the Amazon Prime Day 2021 sales, according to the latest statistics from Finder’s Amazon Prime Day shopping report.
Apple back-to-school: Best deals and what to expect in the UK
Does Apple have a back-to-school sale in the UK? Find out when the deals start and what to expect from this year’s Apple sale.
Why is the AMC share price still rising?
Shares in AMC Entertainment Holdings are again closing in on their all-time high. The cinema operator has jumped 111% in the past 5 sessions alone. Find out what’s going on with this “meme stock”.
Secret Sales discount codes and promos for June 2021
See if you can get your next Secret Sales order for less with our hand-tested voucher and promo codes.
What is a good credit score?
Find out the difference between a credit score and a credit report as well as what factors can bring it up and down?
How to buy SafeMoon (SAFEMOON) in the UK
This guide will show you step-by-step instructions on how to buy the SafeMoon (SAFEMOON) token as well as a list of exchanges you can trade it on.
How to buy Shiba Inu (SHIB) in the UK
This guide will show you step-by-step instructions on how to buy the Shiba Inu (SHIB) token as well as a list of exchanges you can trade it on.
How to buy Bitpanda Ecosystem Token (BEST) in the UK
This guide will show you step-by-step instructions on how to buy the Bitpanda Ecosystem Token (BEST) as well as a list of exchanges you can trade it on.
Ask an Expert