Travel insurance for Canada for 2021 | Finder UK

Travel insurance for Canada

Find out how to save on your travel insurance for your trip to Cuba.

Get cheap travel insurance quotes

  • Search over 35 UK travel insurance providers
  • Get multiple quotes in minutes
  • Find the best cover for the lowest price
Start comparison

If you’re a big fan of maple syrup, neighbourliness and the perfect balance between lively cities and beautiful scenery, then there’s only one place for you. But before you go to Canada, read our handy page of things you should probably think about first.

Check out our guide to finding the right insurance for your trip to Canada.

Start your quote


Do I need travel insurance for Canada?

Even dual British and Canadian citizens don’t necessarily meet the conditions for their universal health care system. If you’re not a resident, medical expenses are extremely high (think USA kind of high!) and so medical insurance at least is an absolute must.

There’s also the sky high cost of flights, Canada’s snow storm prone climate (see trip cancellation), and the risk of your luggage getting stolen or lost, all of which means comprehensive travel insurance is highly recommended.

Travel insurance can protect you from the specifics risks in Canada as well as common travel risks such as:

  • Stolen and delayed luggage
  • Cancelled trips
  • Personal liability
  • Overseas medical emergencies

Are there any travel risks specific for Canada?

  • Snow. Whether you’re a skier, snowboarder or more of snow trekker, always stay within the designated safe areas, and be careful of going off-piste. Heavy snow storms are common during the winter months even off the slopes. Always keep an eye on the weather forecast, make sure you have appropriate clothing and don’t find yourself caught out in a blizzard!
  • Wildlife. If you are hiking or camping, or visiting any of Canada’s parks be considerate and cautious of local wildlife. Take all rubbish with you, and treat any food items with great care to avoid attracting animals to your site. Canada is home to animals such as bears to take care where these have been sighted. Keep a safe and legal distance from any wildlife including marine animals and birds and closely follow park regulations.
  • Terrorism. There is a risk of terrorism in Canada. It is important to monitor n
  • Diseases. Typhoid and Hep A are also among the diseases you can get Egypt, and going to your GP 4 to 6 weeks before travel for any vaccinations you might need is a must.

What activities should I consider getting extra cover for?

If you’re one of the many visitors going for Canada’s world famous skiing and snowboarding, you should consider getting cover specifically tailored to adventure sports. That’s not only because of the increased risk of injury, but it will cover you for the high costs of slope time, lessons and your own and rented equipment, should something go wrong or if you have to cancel.

That’s not only relevant to adrenaline junkies though, if you’re going on tours around one of Canada’s national parks, or anything that’s pre-booked and expensive, you should check that your insurance covers the cost of booking should you have to cancel. If it doesn’t, definitely get it as an extra.

Arctic travel: Probably the most expensive medical emergency you could have would be to need rescuing in the Arctic. With Arctic travel you will need specialised insurance in case of emergencies and you can only get this from a limited number of insurance providers.

Are there any specific entry rules for Canada?

  • Electronic Travel Authorisation.Like the USA, Canada doesn’t require UK citizens to get a visa for short visits. You are expected to get an electronic travel authorisation (eTA) from the Canadian government’s website. It costs $7 and will be required for you to board a plane to Canada.
  • Passport validity. Entry into Canada will only be issued for those with passports with more than 6 months left before expiration, so check your passport before you travel too.
  • Children.Those travelling with little ones should also be aware that immigration may ask for a signed letter from absent parents if one or either of them isn’t present. They’re really serious about child abduction over there, and may question you and any children with you.

Who do I contact in the event of an emergency?

Good news, Canada’s police number (911) is the same as the USA’s! Who knew. That makes it nice and easy for anyone who’s ever watched a crime show.

If you lose your travel documents, get into legal trouble or need other help from the consulate, you’ll need the telephone number of your nearest office. Make sure you save the number of the consulate closest to your destination:

In Alberta, Saskatchewan or Manitoba you’ll need the consulate-general in Calgary, at +1 403 538 2181.
In Quebec you’ll need the consulate-general in Montreal, at +1 514 866 5863.
In Ontario you’ll need the consulate-general in Toronto, at +1 416 593 1290.
In British Columbia, Yukon or Northwest Territories you’ll need the consulate-general in Vancouver, at +1 604 683 4421.

You’ll also need to keep your travel insurance information and the number of your provider’s emergency helpline with you in case you’re ever required to prove you can pay for care.

Who offers travel insurance for Canada?

Data updated regularly
Name Product Maximum Medical Cover Details
Single, annual, Winter sports, golf or cruise cover.
Over 1,300 medical conditions covered
Choose from single-trip, multi-trip, long stay and Winter sports cover.
Barrhead Travel
Barrhead’s policies are underwritten by Travel Insurance Facilities and Insured by Union Reiseversicherung AG, UK
Big Blue Cover
£15,000,000 is a trading style of Rock Insurance Services Limited.
Boots travel insurance policies are underwritten by Travel Insurance Facilities plc.
Choose from single trip, annual multi-trip and winter sports cover.
Student discount available for those with a valid NUS account.
Fortify Travel Insurance
Single, annual, Winter sports, cruise, backpackers and business insurance. Policies are provided by ROCK Insurance Group.
Insurefor Travel Insurance
£12,500,000 is part of ROCK Insurance Group, policies are underwritten by EUROP ASSISTANCE S.A
Jet2 travel is a representative of ROCK Insurance Group and underwritten by EUROP ASSISTANCE S.A.
Leisure Guard
This policy is arranged by ROCK Insurance Group, policies are provided by Catlin Insurance Company (UK) Ltd.
Medical Travel Insurance
Medical Travel Insurance is an online comparison website for those with pre-existing medical conditions requiring travel insurance.
MidCounties Co-Operative Travel
MidCounties Co-Operative Travel Insurance is arranged and administered by ROCK Insurance Group, policies are underwritten by EUROP ASSISTANCE S.A
MRL Insurance
MRL Insurance Direct is a trading style of ROCK Insurance Services Limited, policies are underwritten by Europ Assistance
Post Office Money
Choose from single trip, annual multi-trip or backpacker cover.
TopDog Insurance
Find cover for single trip, annual multi-trip, gap year trips , long stay and Winter sports.
Travel Insurance 4 Medical
Specialise in cover for those with medical conditions.
Virgin Money Travel Insurance
Voted Best Direct Travel Insurance Provider 2018 at the Your Money awards.
World First
Choose from single, annual multi-trip, backpacker, cruise and Winter sports cover.

Compare up to 4 providers


The offers compared on this page are chosen from a range of products we can track; we don't cover every product on the market...yet. Unless we've indicated otherwise, products are shown in no particular order or ranking. The terms "best", "top", "cheap" (and variations), aren't product ratings, although we always explain what's great about a product when we highlight it; this is subject to our terms of use. When making a big financial decision, it's wise to consider getting independent financial advice, and always consider your own financial circumstances when comparing products so you get what's right for you.

More guides on Finder

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked provides guides and information on a range of products and services. Because our content is not financial advice, we suggest talking with a professional before you make any decision.

By submitting your comment or question, you agree to our Privacy and Cookies Policy and Terms of Use.

Questions and responses on are not provided, paid for or otherwise endorsed by any bank or brand. These banks and brands are not responsible for ensuring that comments are answered or accurate.
Go to site