What is Jira?
Jira Core is Jira’s project management software. It allows teams to create workflows and tasks, set deadlines and status updates and review core performance metrics for ongoing projects.
What else does Jira offer?
In addition to its Core service, Jira offers the following software products:
- Software. A project management tool for software teams to plan sprints, assign tasks, schedule software releases and create workflows.
- Align. An enterprise-level platform featuring portfolio management and agile framework support.
- Service desk. An IT service management system that helps your team process incoming support requests, report incidents and expedite service delivery.
Jira pricing and fees
There are two ways to access Jira Core: hosted or self-hosted. For teams that want their Jira software hosted and managed by Jira, its cloud option comes with a monthly subscription fee. For teams that want to handle the intricacies of hosting on their own, download software costs a one-time flat fee. The provider quotes prices in US dollars – we’ve converted these to pounds sterling but this will fluctuate with exchange rates.
|Storage||2GB file storage||250GB file storage|
|Support||Jira forums||Email support on weekdays from 9am to 5pm|
|Included features||Everything included in the Free plan, plus:|
If you’d prefer to host Jira’s software on your own server, prices for Jira Core are as follows:
|Team size||One-time fee|
|Up to 10 users||$10 (£8.10)|
|Up to 25 users||$2,200 (£1,773)|
|Up to 50 users||$4,500 (£3,627)|
|Up to 100 users||$8,800 (£7,094)|
|Up to 250 users||$17,600 (£14,187)|
|Up to 500 users||$26,400 (£21,281)|
|Up to 2,000 users||$40,000 (£32,244)|
|Up to 10,000 users||$80,000 (£64,488)|
|Over 10,000 users||$134,000 (£108,017)|
How does Jira project management work?
Jira is a business project management tool. Businesses can access the hosted version of the software for a monthly fee or can purchase the self-hosted version outright and download to company hardware.
Teams can create workflows, create tasks and share the workload by assigning tickets to team members. The diverse feature set can be intimidating for first-time users, but the platform is intuitive enough that a little practice could get your team up to speed.
Jon Ostler, CEO of Finder UK says, “Finder is a global company, and Jira enables us to manage projects efficiently across teams. It also gives us a holistic view of everything we’re working on as a company and allows us to set goals and priorities easily and effectively.”
Here at Finder, we use Jira to tackle complex workflows and juggle projects with the following features:
- Workflows. Define core processes through visual workflows.
- Tasks. Create task tickets, upload attachments, set due dates, assign team members and leave feedback.
- Status updates. Set task statuses by priority level so assigned team members stay on top of urgent deadlines.
- Notifications. Tag team members with @mentions so they know when their feedback or expertise is needed.
- Performance metrics. Track tasks by status update and assignee for an overview of ongoing projects.
- Calendar. Review monthly tasks, projects and deadlines at glance.
How do I sign up for Jira?
Begin the sign-up process on Jira’s website:
- Click Try it free
- Select Continue with Google or Sign up with email
- Choose the email address you’d like to use to create your account
- Choose your site name and click Continue
- Tell Jira more about your organisation, including the industry you work in and your role within the company
From here, you’ll be prompted to start a sample project from one of Jira’s templates, create a new project from scratch or import data from an existing issue tracking system.
Compare Jira against its competitors
Pros and cons
- Free plan. Sign up for the hosted version of Jira Core for free.
- Mobile app. Stay up-to-date on ongoing projects even on the go with Jira’s mobile app for Android and iOS.
- Well-reviewed. Thousands of customers give Jira’s software high marks.
- Hosted and self-hosted. Access Jira Core from the cloud or download it to company hardware.
- Limited support. Tech support is only available weekdays by email from 9am to 5pm.
- Steep learning curve. One of the most common complaints about Jira’s software is that its features can be complicated for beginners.
Customer reviews and complaints
While dedicated reviews of Jira’s Core software are scarce, Jira’s overall reputation as a software provider is quite positive.
In the Google Play store, Jira has 4 out of 5, based on more than 4,000 reviews. In the App Store, it has 4.6 out of 5, based on more than 8,000 reviews
Lots of customers love that Jira’s range of powerful features allows for plenty of customisation, but some argue that the offerings are complex and overwhelming to navigate.
How do I contact Jira support?
The only way to reach Jira’s customer support is by email. Fill out a secure online form with your email address and inquiry for a response from the support team.
Jira can help teams organise workflows and tackle tasks, but its software can be tricky to learn.
Frequently asked questions
Read more on this topic
QuickBooks small business accounting: Review and pricing
QuickBooks helps you manage your own accounts, including sending out invoices, tracking expenses, managing payroll and even filling in your tax return.
Find out about this workflow and task-management tool designed to promote transparent, collaborative processes.
Microsoft Teams review
Microsoft Teams incorporates a very powerful and complex suite of tools built around existing Microsoft products, although its complexity can also be something of a drawback.
A solid platform for virtual meetings, whether you’re tuning in from a smartphone, computer or tablet.
We break down this task-management software’s core features, pricing, pros and cons.
Slack is hugely popular and feature-rich, but charges more than many of its competitors.
Trello is celebrated by customers, but features and tech support are limited.
Zoom meeting software review
Combine video conferencing, webinars and much more with Zoom’s easy-to-use web conference platform.
Zoom vs GoToMeeting
Video conferencing is the new normal. Compare these two companies to see which one would work best for you and your business.
Ask an Expert