Review: Sami Swoi international money transfers
Sami Swoi claims to be the largest Polish money transfer network in the UK, offering a wide range of money transfer options with competitive rates and transparent fees.
- Good for sending quick, cheap regular payments to Poland.
- Not so good if you want to send it from elsewhere in Europe.
What's in this guide?
- Sami Swoi exchange rates and fees
- Available currencies
- What types of transfers can you make with Sami Swoi?
- How long does a transfer with Sami Swoi take?
- What payment methods does Sami Swoi accept?
- Is Sami Swoi safe to use?
- How does Sami Swoi make money?
- How to register an account
- How do I make an international money transfer with Sami Swoi?
- What is Sami Swoi?
- In a nutshell
- How does Sami Swoi compare to other services?
- Frequently asked questions
Sami Swoi exchange rates and fees
Sami Swoi charges set transfer fees ranging between 77p for a 2-working day transfer and £5.77 to send up to £1,000 to Poland in 10 minutes. It also adds a margin to the mid-market exchange rate.
As well as transferring money to Poland from the UK, with Sami Swoi you can also send it from other European countries – but watch out, as the non-UK transfer fees are quite pricey.
What types of transfers can you make with Sami Swoi?
You can send money from one of 30 UK branches, over the phone, via the website or by using the mobile app, which you can download for free on Android, iOS and Windows devices. The recipient can either get the money into their bank account or they can pick it up at the Post Office.
You can also set up standing orders for regular bill payments in Poland. You just set the order once and confirm a future payment schedule.
How long does a transfer with Sami Swoi take?
Sami Swoi claims that Economic transfers will take 2 working days, Express transfers take 1 working day, Live Bank transfers take just 10 minutes and cash pick-up at the Post Office is available 2 hours after the transfer.
What payment methods does Sami Swoi accept?
You can pay for the transfer by bank transfer or by using Visa Debit, Electron, Maestro or Debit Mastercard. The daily online transaction limit is £10,000.
Transfers typically take
2 working days
Is Sami Swoi safe to use?
- Regulation: Regulated by the FCA
- Security: Encryption, Verified by Visa (3D Secure)
- Established: 2010
- Customers: 300,000-plus*
- Reviews: There are only 3 very out-of-date reviews on Trustpilot, but on its website Sami Swoi claims to have more than 84,400 positive 5-star reviews.*
How does Sami Swoi make money?
Sami Swoi makes money by charging set transfer fees and by adding a small margin to the interbank exchange rate, which is why the exchange rate you might see on Google is slightly different to the one Sami Swoi is quoting.
How to register an account
How do I make an international money transfer with Sami Swoi?
- Log in to your account.
- Choose the type of transfer, the amount you want to send and how you want to pay.
- Enter the recipient’s bank details.
- Pay for the transfer by bank transfer or by Visa Debit, Electron, Maestro or Debit Mastercard.
What is Sami Swoi?
Sami Swoi was created for Polish people living and working in Great Britain who need to pay bills in Poland or want to send money to any friends or family back home. It was set up in London in 2005 and since then claims to have transferred money for more than 300,000 customers.
Sami Swoi has a community feel, and its branches offer additional services including translating documents, local noticeboards and selling coach tickets from the UK to Poland.
In a nutshell
- Various transfer options. Send money online, via the free app, in branches or over the phone.
- Transparent fees. Sami Swoi charges set fees for a range of transfer options.
- Fast transfers. Send money to Poland in 10 minutes or by the next working day.
- Cash pick-up. Recipients can collect money from the Post Office two hours after the transfer.
- No documents required. Most people just need to register and they can automatically send money.
- Set standing orders. If you need to make regular payments to Poland, just set the order once and confirm a future payment schedule.
- 30 branches. If you would rather arrange your transfer face to face.
- Good customer support. The team is available to talk to every day of the week over the phone, by email and via Skype.
- Expensive from other European countries. Transfer fees are quite pricey if you’re sending money to Poland from another EU country.
- Language limitations. Although you can read the website in English or Polish, some of the translations are a bit questionable, so it might be a good idea to get a Polish speaker to check the terms and conditions and finer details for you.
- Confusing web address. It doesn’t actually contain “Sami Swoi” – it is the Polish phrase for “money transfer”.
- Not widely reviewed by users. At the time of writing on 13 February 2020, Sami Swoi had only 3 out-of-date reviews on Trustpilot. It claims on its website to have had 84,400 positive 5-star reviews, but there’s no independent verification of this.
How does Sami Swoi compare to other services?
The table below shows the fees and exchange rates you can expect from other money transfer specialists compared with Sami Swoi. Compare it with the other providers to see if it’s the best option for you to send money to Poland.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Review: Small World money transfers
Small World offers competitive rates, instant transfers and multiple payment options to send money to more than 190 countries.
NatWest Longer Balance Transfer Credit Card review 2020
As the name suggests, this card’s main draw is a super-long 0% transfer period.
Studio discount codes and promos October 2020
See if you can get your next Studio order for less with our hand-tested voucher and promo codes.
Beauty Pie discount codes and promos October 2020
See if you can get your next Beauty Pie order for less with our hand-tested voucher and promo codes.
Fitflop discount codes and promos October 2020
See if you can get your next Fitflop order for less with our hand-tested vouchers and promo codes.
R.M. Williams discount codes and promos October 2020
See if you can get your next R.M. Williams order for less with our hand-tested voucher and promo codes.
Best international money transfer services
Learn how to compare international money transfer services so you can get the best exchange rates and lowest fees.
Compare the best energy deals of 2020
Compare, switch and save on your bills using our comprehensive guide. Learn the tips and tricks to beat the energy suppliers and save money.
Ulster Bank Longer Balance Transfer Credit Card review 2020
Like its NatWest and RBS sister cards, this Ulster Bank credit card offers a market-leading 0% balance transfer period.
Shudder discount codes and promos October 2020
See if you can get your next Shudder order for less with our hand-tested vouchers and promo codes.
Ask an Expert