Today’s trending Reddit stocks
Here are some of the most mentioned stocks on Reddit in the past 24 hours.
What shares are trending on Reddit right now?
To generate this list, we’ve aggregated trending stock information from Reddit’s most active subs, including r/WSB, r/stocks, r/investing and r/ShortSqueeze.
Why does Reddit have any impact on the stock market?
At the start of 2021, Reddit cemented itself as a key trading indicator for many seasoned and institutional investors around the world. This was because GameStop, a US-based video game retailer, spiked over 700% during a frenzied few days at the end of January.
GameStop sky-rocketed around 8,000% over six months. The stock became a piece in a rather complicated financial power struggle puzzle between a major hedge fund, Melvin Capital, and a group of internet investors who congregated on Reddit. GameStop became the subject of what’s known as ‘short selling‘, a process in which professional investors borrow shares of stock to sell them and then buy them back at a later date, allowing them to make a profit if the stock price goes down. In simple terms, short-selling is a bet that the company will fail, with infinite loss potential.
Long story short, Reddit investors found an opportunity to make some money by aggressively buying GameStop shares, which resulted in an internet pile on, with everyone from Elon Musk to Wolf of Wall Street’s Jason Belfort wading into the debate and hype. A boom of coverage of the now infamous subreddit r/WallStreetBets made sure the frenzy continued through January.
How to find trending stocks on Reddit
We’ve compiled some of the trending Reddit stocks above to give you some inspiration, but if you’d like to take a look at Reddit yourself, here’s how you can find trending stocks on Reddit:
- Go to investing subreddits. Some examples are r/WallStreetBets, r/Stocks, r/Investing and r/PennyStocks. If you’re looking for specific categories, like dividend stocks, you can search for other subreddits.
- Sort the posts. You can do this with the “hot”, “new” and “top” buttons above the posts and choose a time period to sort by.
- Read the discussions. You can find out what people are talking about and read their research to find out why the stock is trending.
- Do your own research. Before you dive in and invest, look into the stock yourself and weigh up the risks involved.
Does Reddit matter to ordinary investors?
The GameStop scenario tells us that, yes, it does. For example during the frenzy, brokerages were forced to suspend trading of certain stocks, and even caused outages of entire apps. This was due to the intense strain put on the infrastructure of brokerages and trading apps, many of which received unprecedented volumes of trades and new sign ups.
The GameStop affair has also caused a lasting shift in the analysis conducted by institutions. The internet has empowered retail investors, the combined force of which now matched institutions when it comes to buying power and volume. This changed the dynamics of investing somewhat, you’d think in favour of the little guy – though it remains to be seen if retail investor success has eaten into the profits of the big guns on Wall Street.
Reddit stocks list
Reddit has provided some of the most dramatic investing stories since the start of 2020, the most famous of those being the GameStop frenzy. Some of the most commonly talked about stocks include GameStop, AMC Entertainment, Tesla and BlackBerry.
Is Reddit a reliable place to research stocks?
The internet has been used for talking about stocks and investments since its inception. Reddit is just the latest evolution of that. There are some advantages to researching stocks on Reddit, as well as some things you should watch out for.
- Anonymised forums can provide protection and create an unbiased environment which allows fruitful discussions to thrive. For example, it’s not unheard of for genuine employees at companies to participate and share genuine insight which can help readers achieve higher gains.
- Reddit’s used globally. You can get access to insight no matter what time it is, whether you’re an early bird, up at the brink of dawn, or a night owl that prefers late night stock searching.
- The voting system helps you filter discussions. This is great for filtering out some of the nonsense and getting straight to the good stuff.
Things to watch out for:
- It can be difficult to verify the authority of posters. This means that you don’t really ever know the credibility of anyone in these forums, and should use insight from several sources when researching.
- There’s a tendency for groupthink. This means that you don’t get a balanced discussion.
- Some of these stocks can be riskier Sometimes stocks like pink sheet stocks are mentioned, which are riskier. Stocks can become riskier once they’ve taken off a bit, as they can become very volatile.
Like any form of research, Reddit offers some things you can’t get elsewhere, but should probably just form a part of your overall research process – as opposed to being the start and end of your digging.
More guides on Finder
Our Minuts review looks at the features, customer reviews, fees, learning resources and some pros and cons of investing with Mintus
How to buy FLEX LNG (FLNG) shares in the UK
Thinking about buying shares in Flex LNG? We explain how to do it and compare a range of providers who will give you access to global markets.
How to buy Corebridge Financial (CRBG) shares
Everything we know about the Corebridge Financial IPO, plus information on how to buy shares.
GreenGrowth is a brand new ethical investment platform that creates a portfolio for you based on your carbon footprint. See what we thought.
How to invest in art
Investing in art could be a nice way to animate your investment portfolio with an alternative asset. Here’s how it works and the risks.
Account types: ISAs, LISAs, JISAs and SIPPs explained
We explain the different account types that you’ll come across when signing up with an investment platform.
How to buy Hempacco (HPCO) shares when it goes public
Everything we know about the Hempacco IPO, plus information on how to buy shares.
How to buy Jianzhi Education Technology Group (JZ) shares when it goes public
Everything we know about the Jianzhi Education Technology Group IPO, plus information on how to buy shares.
Best time to invest in stocks
Find out the best time to invest in stocks, the risks involved, plus a range of different strategies to consider when investing.
What is a bear market?
Discover how a bear market works and why it’s important for long term investors to sit tight and not to panic.
Ask an Expert