Watch Marvel Studios' Black Widow with Disney+ Premier Access
Disney+ Premier Access is live! Hooray. But what is it exactly and how much will it cost you per month? All the answers you need can be found below.
What is Disney+ Premier Access?
Glad you asked. Simply put, it’s an add-on service for existing Disney+ subscribers, allowing users to stream all the latest, exclusive releases for an additional cost. This means once you’ve signed up and paid the flat fee, you’ll need to pay extra for the show or movie, too.
Once you’ve parted with your cash, the release can be viewed as many times as you like. It’s not a rental; you own that film or series from that point on and it will be available to stream on your account for as long as you’re an active Disney+ subscriber.
How much does Premier Access cost?
This depends on if you’re already a Disney+ subscriber or not. If you are, getting access to the Disney+ Premier service is easy. All you need to do is pay a one-off fee for the specific release you’d like to watch. The remake of Mulan is the first blockbuster available to purchase via the Disney+ add-on service, costing £19.99. Included in this fee is the ability to watch the film in HDR and UHD, with Dolby audio.
If you aren’t a Disney+ subscriber, you’ll need to sign up before you can get access to the Premier service. This will cost you £5.99 a month or £59.99 for the year. Then you’ll need to pay for the new release as above.
Going forward, Disney has said the costs of any other Premier Access offerings are likely to vary, depending on the scale of the release.
Features of Disney+ Premier Access
- Access to a range of films and shows. Make the most of Disney+ releases and exclusive new showings.
- Available in HDR and UHD. Watch these blockbusters in great quality.
- Pay for what you want. Only shell out for the releases you want to watch.
- Be the first to watch new releases. See new blockbusters like Mulan before anyone else.
- The future of cinema? With COVID-19 casting doubt over the short-term future of cinema, Disney+ Premier Access could be the only way to watch new releases going forward.
How can I watch Mulan?
As we’ve mentioned above, Mulan is available via Premier Access on Disney+ for a one-off fee of £19.99 for existing Disney+ customers. If you’re new to Disney+, you will need to get a regular subscription for £5.99 per month and also pay the £19.99 fee for Mulan.
Disney+ no longer offers a free trial, meaning you’ll have to sign up to the service in order to watch.
Find out more about Mulan on Disney+ by reading our guide.
Will Mulan eventually be available on Disney+?
Eventually, yes. At some point in the future, subscribers to the standard Disney+ service will be able to watch Mulan alongside many other films and shows, without paying the £19.99 fee.
Think of it as going to watch a new release at the cinema. You fork out well over £10 for a ticket to watch the movie as soon as it’s released when you know full well it will be shown on Sky Movies, Netflix or another streaming service at some point in the following year. So, if you want to be one of the first to watch Mulan, it’s going to be worth the fee to get it now.
What else can we expect from Disney+ Premier Access?
If the COVID-19 pandemic restricts domestic movie theatre openings further, or we head into another national lockdown, we could see a similar release strategy applied to high-profile blockbusters later in the year – take Marvel’s Black Widow for example. In this way, Mulan could be one of many releases made exclusively available to audiences through Disney+ Premier Access.
Pros and cons
- Watch new releases instantly. Be one of the first to watch new Disney blockbusters such as Mulan.
- Pay for what you want. Only pay the one-off fee for releases you want to watch.
- Reasonable monthly fee for Disney+. £5.99 to pay per month or £59.99 for the year.
- High quality. Watch in UHD and HDR.
- Cancel anytime. If you pay monthly, there’s no contract, so you can cancel at any time.
- Own releases rather than just renting. When you purchase a new release, you can watch it as many times as you like.
- Extra fee for new releases. You’ll have to pay for new releases on Premier Access on top of the monthly fee for Disney+.
- Can be costly. Each new release will cost somewhere in the region of £19.99, which is quite a lot of money for one blockbuster.
- All releases will be available to all Disney+ subscribers eventually. You pay £19.99 to watch the new release when it’s available, but later on in the year, other Disney+ members will be able to watch it for free.
All in all, Disney+ Premier Access has much to offer keen movie enthusiasts with exclusive new releases and fantastic quality video. The service also gives us a bit of insight into what cinema releases could look like if the COVID-19 pandemic causes another national lockdown and forces cinemas to close again.
Disney+ Premier Access gives users the ability to watch more shows and films at home, at a higher quality. It’s also great for those who want to be among the first to watch new releases, and the monthly fee means if you want to cancel, you can do so at any time. However, the cost to purchase the latest blockbuster is a little steep for us at £19.99, especially as Disney+ admits all new releases will at some point be available for all Disney+ users. If you want to be the first to watch Disney releases like Mulan, Premier Access is for you. Otherwise, the basic Disney+ subscription may suit you better.
More guides on Finder
How to watch new Pixar movie Soul online in the UK
You’ll be able to spend Christmas in excellent company with the help of Pixar’s new feature film.
The most talked about shows of 2020 on social media: Love Island accounted for almost HALF of posts
The most talked about shows of 2020 have been revealed, with Love Island accounting for almost half (48%) of all tweets posted by Brits. It generated almost 10 times more posts than the second most popular show, I’m A Celebrity…Get Me Out Of Here.
Everything you need to know from Apple’s iPhone 12 launch event
Here’s what you need to know about the new Apple iPhone 12, including price, size, storage, release date, model options and more.
Where to watch the Indian Premier League live online in the UK
The lucrative Indian Premier League is back in 2020 and this is how you can follow all the action.
Where to watch the latest Disney movies online
Find out what the latest Disney+ movies are, how much is costs and exactly how you can watch them from the comfort of your own home, online.
How to watch Disney’s Mulan live-action remake live in the UK
The live-action blockbuster is offered on Premium Access.
Disney Plus free trial (A UK guide)
You can watch The Mandalorian, Lady and the Tramp and more on Disney+. Here’s your guide to the best deals.
How to set up Disney Plus on iOS devices
Your Apple device is ready for all the Disney+ streaming action.
Disney Plus launch date and what we know so far
Find out when Disney+ hits UK screens and find out how you can stream it when it does arrive.
The cheapest way to watch the Premier League 2020/21 season
Find out how you can watch Premier League matches on your TV at home without paying over the odds.
Ask an Expert