Browsing lenders to find the right short-term loan for you – one that isn’t given by a predatory lender – can be tiresome when all you want to do is get a quick fix for a financial emergency.
That’s where payday loan reviews come in. Here on Finder, you can browse dozens of reviews for both direct lenders and lender-matching services. You can compare lenders based on your needs and find a reputable business to help you during a crisis.
Compare and review short-term loan lendersClick on the providers below to read our review of their products and services.
Please note: High-cost short-term credit is unsuitable for sustained borrowing over long periods and would be expensive as a means of longer-term borrowing.
Why should I read a short-term loan review?
There are dozens of short-term lenders across the country. However, while many are trustworthy and follow all the rules and regulations, others are predatory and use payday loans as a way to take advantage of borrowers.
By reading reviews and comparing lenders, you’ll help make sure you find the short-term loan that’s best for you, and save yourself a lot of time and money.
A good review covers the benefits and drawbacks of the lender without too much bias. If the review is too positive or negative, watch out. It could be someone paid to leave a good review or someone with bad budgeting skills leaving a bad one. The more moderate a review is, the more trustworthy it may be.
If you think there might be a chance the lending company you’re looking at is a scam, then avoid them at all costs.
What can you find out from a short-term loan review?
A good short-term loan review gives you all the information you need to make an informed decision and should cover these aspects:
- Interest rate and APR. While you have to pay interest on a short-term loan, the APR represents the true cost. It includes the interest as well as all associated fees. The amount varies considerably from one lender to the next.
- Fees. Short-term loan reviews should give you a clear indication of all the fees and charges you could end up paying over the course of your loan, including financing fees, ongoing fees and fees you might have to pay if you miss a payment.
- Access to funds. Some lenders only operate online, meaning you’ll have to provide a bank account so the lender can deposit the money directly.
- Repayment options. There are a number of ways you can repay a loan, but some lenders don’t allow all of them. Read reviews to find out what the company you’re looking at prefers. Keep in mind that some lenders also charge a fee for early payment.
- Application process. A good review should tell you how simple or complicated the application process is and how long it might take to complete.
- About the lender. Reading a short-term lender’s review should give you some idea about the company’s history and the other products the lender offers.
How can I use reviews to find the right short-term loan?
Going through short-term loan reviews or consumer reports can help you narrow down your choices. Pay attention to these factors:
- Eligibility criteria. If you don’t meet the required eligibility criteria, there’s no point in applying, and doing so might damage your credit rating. Checking the eligibility criteria ahead of time minimises the chance of a rejected application.
- Loan amount. Find out the minimum and maximum amount a lender is willing to give to be sure you can get the exact financing you need. Some lenders set high minimum amounts so you have to borrow hundreds of dollars to be considered.
- Repayment method. Most lenders allow payments via direct debits from your bank account, but this can be bad if you don’t have the money in your account to repay. If you wish to repay the loan using cash or check, you have more limited options since you’ll have to go to a storefront location.
- Additional features. Does the lender offer any additional features that might be of use to you? For example, some lenders offer higher loan amounts and better interest rates to repeat borrowers.
- Money processing. If you need money soon, you’ll want to read reviews about lenders with storefronts. Online lenders can approve you quickly, but it will usually take one or two business days for the funds to reach your account.
We compare payday/short-term loans from
Ask an Expert