AXA motorbike insurance review
Get all the facts about motorbike insurance from AXA, one of the largest insurers in the world. Our review tells you what's in each type of AXA policy.
You’ll find the standard levels of motorbike insurance offered by AXA with legal expenses as standard, but you’ll only be able to source these policies from specialist motorbike insurance brokers.
We’ve reviewed AXA’s three levels of motorbike cover and highlighted the key features so you can compare what’s available in each one.
Who is AXA?
AXA offers a range of personal and business financial products, including motorbike, car, van and home insurance.
AXA has been operating in one form or another for almost 300 years, but after several acquisitions, mergers and name changes, AXA itself was formed in 1985. AXA Group operates in 64 countries and is one of the largest insurance companies in the world.
What are AXA’s levels of cover?
Third party cover is the minimum level of motorbike cover that is offered by AXA. All motorists in the UK are legally required to have at least this level of car insurance to be on the road. If you are responsible for causing an accident, you’ll be protected for damage to third party vehicles or property. Though it won’t cover any damage to your own motorbike. Don’t assume this is the cheapest because it offers the least protection. Check each cover level to see which offers the best value.
Third party, fire and theft
Third party, fire and theft. You’ll get the same level of cover as third party but this will also provide protection against any fire damage or theft of your motorbike.
This is the highest level of cover on offer and will give the same protection as the other levels as well as insuring your vehicle against accidental damage and vandalism. It’s always worth getting a quote for comprehensive as in some cases, it can be cheaper than lower levels of cover due to the risk profile of customers who choose them.
What is covered under my policy?
|Cover benefits||Third party||Third party, fire and theft||Comprehensive|
|Liability to other people||✓||✓||✓|
|Fire and theft||✓||✓|
AXA does not offer any additional protection to bolt onto your AXA policy. If you are seeking added cover in certain areas, you’ll need to check with a broker to see what options it may offer.
Any cover offered by AXA is likely to become invalid if any of the following arises:
- You change the use of your motorbike from its original use. For example, changing from social domestic and pleasure to business use.
- Your motorbike is being driven by an unnamed rider on your policy or by a person that does not have a valid licence.
- You use your motorbike at rallies, races or competitions.
- You are paid to carry pillions.
- You fail to pay for your premium.
- You change your motorbike during the policy term to a motorbike that the insurer cannot cover.
- You do not provide the correct documents to support your application.
Check your policy for further details to confirm your cover is valid.
How to save on your motorbike insurance policy through AXA
- Increasing security. If your motorbike is not currently fitted with an alarm, think about adding one to reduce your premium.
- Having a secure location to park your motorbike. Motorbikes kept in a garage or on a secure driveway are usually cheaper to insure.
- Reduce mileage. If you start working part-time or your long commute becomes much shorter, letting your insurer know about a reduction in your mileage could result in cheaper insurance.
- Fewer drivers. Only add riders to your policy that regularly ride your motorbike.
- Larger excess. Agreeing to pay a bigger voluntary excess could make your overall premium cheaper. But remember that your insurer won’t pay out for a claim that costs less than your excess. So be careful about making it too high, as it could leave you out of pocket if damage occurs.
What is my excess?
Your insurance excess is the amount of money you will need to pay towards a claim. Your insurer won’t pay out for a claim that costs less than this amount. A compulsory excess amount might vary depending on the age of your car and your driving experience.
A voluntary excess is on top and is normally set by you when taking out a policy. You’ll have the option of adding or increasing a voluntary excess – which should lower your premium.
You’ll find details about any compulsory or voluntary excesses in your policy document.
What is the claims process for AXA?
Call the AXA claims line on 0345 608 0230 to register a claim.
You will need to provide your policy number and personal contact details to hand as well as a full description about the incident.
It’s vital that you let your insurer know about an incident as soon as possible, even if it’s not your fault. Failure to do this could result in a rejected claim later on.
Frequently asked questions
Read more on this topic
Top 50 UK insurance companies Here's our list of the top insurance providers in the UK, and how you can contact them.
John Lewis Insurance promo code Get a big discount on John Lewis insurance by using these discount and promo codes.
Endsleigh discount codes You could save on a range of insurance policies with our Endsleigh insurance discount codes.
Aviva discount codes Need to get insurance? You can save money with our Aviva discount codes. Apply now.
Just Travel Cover travel insurance discount codes You could save money on travel insurance with these Just Travel Cover insurance discount codes.
esure discount codes You can use these esure discount codes and promos to get a better deal on insurance.
More Than discount codes January 2020 Whether it's for travel insurance or pet insurance, see what you could save with these More Than insurance discount codes.
M&S Insurance discount codes January 2020 Get the latest M&S Insurance discounts codes and see if you can save on home or car insurance today.
Boots travel insurance promo codes January 2020 Planning your next trip? See what you can save on Boots travel insurance with these discount codes.
Age Co discount codes January 2020 You could save money on your Age Co insurance by using these discount codes.