Virgin Media offer flexible and affordable mobile plans.
Virgin Media group offer four services across the UK: broadband, TV, mobile and home phone. Virgin Mobile is a mobile phone service provider operating in the United Kingdom. It launched in 1999 and uses the existing EE network.
Virgin Media strives to create a digital world that makes good things happen, both for their customers and the communities in which they operate. Take a look at our review of their services and mobile plans.
What services do Virgin Media offer?
In terms of network, Virgin Media offers a reliable service. It uses the EE network, offering 2G, 3G and 4G coverage across the UK. Virgin Media claims that it is able to provide network coverage to 98% of the population.
Virgin Media have a network calculator on their website where you can check which networks are available in your local area. Simply enter in your postcode or location to find out which networks cover you.
Virgin Media offers 24 month pay monthly mobile plans, SIM only plans, which run on a 30 day rolling contract, and pay as you go plans.
How much does it cost?
Virgin Media’s mobile plans range in terms of contract length, price and package inclusion. It is worth thinking about value for money when comparing costs of plans – take a look at the packages and special features they offer to make sure you’re really getting the most for your money.
You can top up your pay as you go plan at any time via credit or debit card, either online or via the app, or you can top up in any Carphone Warehouse store. The minimum amount you are able to top up is £5.
Additional charges will apply to calls, texts and data usage outside of your plan.
|Cheapest contract||600MB||300||unlimited||24 Months||£11pm|
|Most expensive contract||20GB||5000||unlimited||24 Months||£68pm|
|Cheapest 30 day SIM||600MB||300||unlimited||30 days||£6pm|
|Most expensive 30 day SIM||20GB||5000||unlimited||30 days||£25pm|
|PAYG||1p per MB||40p per min||15p per text||30 days||n/a|
|PAYG Bundle||1GB||35p per call||3000||30 days||£10pm|
|PAYG Bundle||3GB||35p per call||3000||30 days||£15pm|
|PAYG Bundle||–||unlimited minutes||–||30 days||£10pm|
- Please note that prices and plan inclusions may vary, please check the Virgin Media website for up to date prices.
How much data do I need?
The amount of data you require depends on how much internet you will be using on your mobile each month.
It is difficult to determine an exact correlation between data and internet usage but approximately 1GB would allow you to view either around 3000 web pages, 10 000 emails or spend 4 hours streaming videos.
What extras do Virgin Media plans offer?
- Add ons. Customers are able to purchase extra EU data allowance if you require data when you’re travelling abroad.
- Free Wi-Fi. Virgin Media offers customers access to free Wi-Fi when in range of their 250,000 UK hotspots. Simply download the Virgin Media app your phone to be automatically connected when in range of a hotspot.
- Data rollover. Virgin allow you to roll your unused data onto the following months allowance to help you avoid wasting precious data you’ve paid for.
- Flexible plans. With SIM only plans you have the freedom to change your plan each month. You can move up to enjoy more minutes and data you might need for one month, and then move down the following month if you want to reduce your monthly cost.
What are some of Virgin Media’s pros and cons?
- Network. Virgin Media runs off the EE network and so offers fast 3G and 4G services across the UK.
- Flexibility. Virgin Media allows you to swap and change plans every month.
- Wifi. Virgin Media allows customers to automatically connect to Virgin Media wifi when in range of one of their 250 000 hotspots.
- Bolt ons. Virgin Media does not allow customers to buy any additional data, minutes or texts.