British Seniors life insurance review
See if British Seniors insurance offers the right protection for your loved ones.
Life insurance is about protecting your family in the event of your death. British Seniors specifically offers guaranteed life insurance for people aged over 50, and the cover has a 5-star rating from Defaqto.
Here’s what else we think you should know about this award-winning insurer.
What's in this guide?
- What is British Seniors?
- What types of life insurance does British Seniors offer?
- British Seniors life insurance exclusions
- Benefits of British Seniors life insurance
- Drawbacks of British Seniors life insurance
- What's the claims process for British Seniors life insurance?
- Am I eligible for British Seniors life insurance?
- What factors affect the price I'll pay for life insurance?
- Frequently asked questions
What is British Seniors?
British Seniors provides specialist life insurance to UK residents aged over 50.
British Seniors Insurance Agency is a trading name of Neilson Financial Services Ltd, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
What types of life insurance does British Seniors offer?
British Seniors offers life insurance policies specifically for those over 50 years old.
British Seniors life insurance
This policy provides immediate cover for accidental death or death by any cause after 24 months. You can tailor the final cash sum payout to your budget.
Depending on your age, the maximum final cash sum payout you can select is detailed in the table below:
|Age at life insurance policy start date||Maximum benefit amount|
|Aged 50-54||Up to £20,000|
|Aged 55-59||Up to £17,000|
|Aged 60-64||Up to £13,000|
|Aged 65-69||Up to £12,000|
|Aged 70-74||Up to £9,000|
|Aged 75-80||Up to £6,000|
British Seniors joint life insurance
British Seniors also offers the option to take out a joint policy to include a partner such as a legal spouse, civil partner or common law partner. The policy will be paid out when one of you dies, after which time it will no longer be valid.
British Seniors provides customers with the option to “cash in” a single or joint policy when the policyholder reaches 80 or after holding the policy for 15 years, whichever is later. This essentially means your policy will end and you will be paid a sum equal to 50% of the selected benefit amount. However, there is no cash value to the policy before this point in the policy term.
British Seniors life insurance exclusions
A British Seniors life insurance policy has no cash value before the cash-in eligibility date. And as with all insurance, there are exclusions. These include the following:
- Non-accidental death during the first 24 months
- False or inaccurate information provided at the start of the policy
- Two consecutively missed monthly payments
- Incorrect date of birth shown on policy document
Benefits of British Seniors life insurance
- Cash-in option
- No medical required
- Single or joint policies available
- Free cover after you turn 95
Drawbacks of British Seniors life insurance
- Maximum payout of £20,000
- Max cover decreases with age
What’s the claims process for British Seniors life insurance?
If you need to make a claim, you can contact British Seniors on 0800 542 7618, by emailing email@example.com, or by post to:
British Seniors Insurance Agency
PO Box 4555,
You will need to complete a claim form, as well as provide supporting documentation and policy information.
Am I eligible for British Seniors life insurance?
You can apply for a British Seniors life insurance policy if you meet the following criteria:
- You are a UK resident
- You are aged 50-80
What factors affect the price I’ll pay for life insurance?
- Amount of cover required. The greater you want the final cash sum payout to be, the higher the premium is likely to be.
- Age. The maximum final cash sum payout you can select with British Seniors will depend on your age. For example, a 50-year-old could have a payout of up to £20,000 while an 80-year-old could expect a payout of up to £6,000.