Ever wondered what happened to LoveFilm? In 2011 it was purchased by online retail giants Amazon and soon became Amazon Prime Instant. It no longer delivers DVDs to your door in those fun little envelopes; now it offers thousands of movies and TV shows streamed straight to your computer, tablet or TV. It’s a subscription service that delivers great content, including original series only available on Amazon Prime, such as its groundbreaking show Transparent, the first production from a streaming video service to win a Golden Globe Award for best series.
Watch thousands of popular movies and TV shows with Amazon Prime Video
- Watch Grand Tour, Vikings, The Walking Dead, American Gods, Bosch and many more.
- Watch on Amazon Fire TV, smart TVs, consoles, phones, selected tablets, laptops or other compatible devices.
- Subscribe monthly or annually: Amazon Prime costs £79 per year or £7.99 per month.
Price and packages
- Amazon Prime – An annual subscription to Amazon Prime costs £79 (which works out at about £6.60 per month), or you can pay £7.99 monthly. To get the best deal, Amazon ask for a full year payment upfront. Bear in mind that Amazon Prime isn’t just about TV streaming. Amongst other things, it also includes unlimited next day deliveries on orders and access to Amazon’s music streaming service.
- Amazon Prime Video – If it’s only the streaming that you’re interested in, you can subscribe to Prime Video on its own for £5.99 a month (there is no annual option).
Like what you see? Be sure to check out our full list of Amazon discount codes and vouchers to make sure you’re getting the best deal possible!
What devices and platforms is Amazon Prime Video compatible with?
Top picks on Amazon Prime Video
How do I sign up to Amazon Prime Video?
Signing up to Amazon Prime Video is easy. Simply follow the instructions below.
- Visit the Amazon website using any of the links provided.
- The homepage will look something like this:
3. At the bottom right of the page, you should see the link that invites you to ‘Start 30 day free trial now’. If you click this link you will be asked to log in to your Amazon account, or create a new account if you don’t already have one.
4. Enter your payment method and your access will begin.
Amazon Prime Video pros and cons
- 30-day free trial available for all new customers (and it’s easy to cancel)
- Original series only available on Amazon Prime Instant, including Transparent, Bosch and Mozart in the Jungle
- HBO programming
- Only available as a 12 month service
- Not all content available for download and offline viewing
Amazon Prime Instant is a strong offering from one of the world’s most recognisable media companies. It has a competitively priced service, a well-stocked library, and availability across a wide range of devices. Its original programming is strong and looks set to expand as its original content creation space Amazon Studios continues to grow, while a newly inked deal with HBO looks set to bring the best shows from the US’s best producer exclusively to Amazon. In short, it’s a very complete offering at a very competitive price.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Starling Bank boosts interest rate for current account holders
The new rate of 3.25% for current accounts kicks in from 1 October for both new and existing customers. Here’s what you need to know.
Using Revolut abroad: Is it the right app to use?
Learn more about using Revolut abroad and if it is the right choice.
Using Monzo abroad: Is it the right app to use?
We look at how Monzo could benefit those travelling overseas.
Weekly share tips: Why Next is one to watch
Why George Sweeney believes Next is one to watch. This week’s share tip. Not financial advice or a recommendation.
Compare high street banks in the UK
If you don’t feel like you’re getting much from your bank account, switching has never been easier! Banks and building societies offer up cash and vouchers when you switch, and will handle the boring bits for you.
Compare switching deals in the UK
Compare features like cash incentives, overdrafts, interest rates and see if you’re getting the most from your current account.
Zebu Live 2023 takes centre stage during London Web3 Week
Zebu Live 2023 is returning to London this October as part of London Web3 Week. Get 25% off tickets with Finder.
5 steps to financial wellness
If your money habits are in need of a makeover, follow these 5 steps to help boost your financial wellness.
Winners of the Finder Investing & Saving Innovation Awards 2023 announced
Now in their fourth year, these awards recognise the investing and saving providers displaying the best innovations in their field.
The cheapest countries to study in Europe in 2023
Costs to study in Europe, when including tuition fees, rent and living costs, vary, but here are the cheapest countries for students.