Amazon Prime Video Review | Price, Content and Features
Amazon Prime Video brings you the latest releases and some amazing exclusives but is it enough?
Ever wondered what happened to LoveFilm? In 2011 it was purchased by online retail giants Amazon and soon became Amazon Prime Instant. It no longer delivers DVDs to your door in those fun little envelopes; now it offers thousands of movies and TV shows streamed straight to your computer, tablet or TV. It’s a subscription service that delivers great content, including original series only available on Amazon Prime, such as its groundbreaking show Transparent, the first production from a streaming video service to win a Golden Globe Award for best series.
Price and packages
- Amazon Prime – An annual subscription to Amazon Prime costs £79 (which works out at about £6.60 per month), or you can pay £7.99 monthly. To get the best deal, Amazon ask for a full year payment upfront. Bear in mind that Amazon Prime isn’t just about TV streaming. Amongst other things, it also includes unlimited next day deliveries on orders and access to Amazon’s music streaming service.
- Amazon Prime Video – If it’s only the streaming that you’re interested in, you can subscribe to Prime Video on its own for £5.99 a month (there is no annual option).
What devices and platforms is Amazon Prime Video compatible with?
Top picks on Amazon Prime Video
How do I sign up to Amazon Prime Video?
Signing up to Amazon Prime Video is easy. Simply follow the instructions below.
- Visit the Amazon website using any of the links provided.
- The homepage will look something like this:
3. At the bottom right of the page, you should see the link that invites you to ‘Start 30 day free trial now’. If you click this link you will be asked to log in to your Amazon account, or create a new account if you don’t already have one.
4. Enter your payment method and your access will begin.
Amazon Prime Video pros and cons
- 30-day free trial available for all new customers (and it’s easy to cancel)
- Original series only available on Amazon Prime Instant, including Transparent, Bosch and Mozart in the Jungle
- HBO programming
- Only available as a 12 month service
- Not all content available for download and offline viewing
Amazon Prime Instant is a strong offering from one of the world’s most recognisable media companies. It has a competitively priced service, a well-stocked library, and availability across a wide range of devices. Its original programming is strong and looks set to expand as its original content creation space Amazon Studios continues to grow, while a newly inked deal with HBO looks set to bring the best shows from the US’s best producer exclusively to Amazon. In short, it’s a very complete offering at a very competitive price.
Amazon Prime Video FAQ
Ask an Expert