Send money to Samoa
Take advantage of low fees and competitive exchange rates when sending money to Samoa.
When you need to get money to a loved one overseas, the last thing you want to have to deal with is navigating a potentially complicated and expensive process. Sending money from the United Kingdom to Samoa doesn’t have to be expensive. Compare the transfer fees and exchange rates of the many options available to you to get the most Samoan talas for your money.From bank transfers and online transactions to options that allow recipients to collect your funds within minutes, it’s easy to send money to Samoa. However, do your research and shop around for the best available deal.
Compare services that send money to Samoa from the UK
Banks versus money transfer companies
All major UK banks offer international wire transfers as part of their suite of financial products and services, but disappointing exchange rates and high fees are the norm.
You can find a much more affordable money transfer solution if you use a dedicated transfer company. These companies, such as WorldRemit, specialize in moving funds across international borders and offering better exchange rates and lower fees for doing so. Transfers are safe and convenient and, if you choose the right provider, you can save yourself some money.
George Sends Money to Samoa
George is living and working in London for a few years in an effort to save up a deposit to buy a house back home in Samoa. He wants to find the most affordable way to send money to his family in Samoa, and rather than use his bank, he decides to look for a money transfer company. He compares the fees and features offered by two companies when he sends £500 to Samoa.
|Money transfer company 1||Money transfer company 2|
|Exchange rate||$1 USD = $3.036 WST||$1 USD = $3.083 WST|
|Transfer method||Cash pickup||Mobile wallet transfer|
|Processing time||10 minutes||10 minutes|
|Amount received (in WST)||$1,518||$1,541.50|
As you can see, George can send an extra $23.50 WST and save £5 in transfer fees if he sends his money with the second company.
How to compare transfer companies when sending money to Samoa
When comparing your options, pay attention to these factors:
- Exchange rates. How do each company’s exchange rates compare to the competition?
- Fees. How much will you have to pay to send the transfer? Can you avoid a transfer fee if you send a larger amount?
- Transfer methods. Can transfers be placed online, over the phone, by visiting a branch and/or by using a mobile app?
- Transfer options. Can you lock in an ideal exchange rate now and transfer the money later, known as a forward contract? Does the institution offer limit orders, which allows you to take advantage of changing market conditions by executing the money transfer when a certain exchange rate is met? Can you schedule recurring payments, or does the company only provide one-off spot orders?
- Turnaround time. Will the funds be available for your beneficiary in minutes, or will they take several working days to arrive?
- Minimum transfer amount. What is the minimum transfer limit imposed by each company, and will this affect the size of your transfers?
- Pickup methods. Can your beneficiary pick up the cash from their nearest transfer agent, or will the funds be deposited into their bank account?
- Customer service. What sort of customer support is offered and during what hours can you receive assistance?
Foreign exchange rates explained
The exchange rate determines how much one country’s currency is worth in another currency. When a country’s currency is strong, it will yield more money when exchanging it in a country with a weak currency. For example, in December 2016, the pound was worth approximately 26 Mexican pesos. However, most countries’ exchange rates are flexible, which means it can change from moment to moment. Factors that influence the exchange rate include interest rates, economic stability and inflation.
Options for sending money to Samoa from the UK
- Bank transfers. You can send a wire transfer from your bank account to a Samoan bank.
- Online money transfer providers. Money transfer companies offer better exchange rates than banks.
- Money transfer companies with cash pickup options. Western Union and MoneyGram are the two best-known providers of this service.
- Checks. International checks are slow and may attract a high processing fee, but they are a reliable transfer option.
How to send money to Samoa through an independent transfer provider
When sending funds to Samoa, you’ll be asked to provide the following information:
- Your name, address, contact information and valid photo ID.
- Your beneficiary’s name, address and information, along with their bank account info if the funds will be deposited in their bank account.
- How much money you’re sending, in what currency and which country you’re sending it to.
- If you are not using cash for this transaction, you will need to provide your banking info in order to have funds drafted from your account.
Once you have completed your transaction, you will be given a tracking number. Make a note of this number so you can monitor the progress of your money transfer.
Emergency cash transfers in Samoa
There are certain situations when you might need to send a transfer as quickly as possible. When you do need to send an emergency transfer, remember that you will usually have to pay extra in order to get your funds to your beneficiary ASAP. Make sure to check the exchange rate and fees that apply so you know exactly how much it will cost.Back to top
Tips for picking up cash in Samoa
Picking up cash from a transfer agent in Samoa? Here’s how you can stay safe:
- Only visit an agent in an area you know to be safe.
- Ask a friend or traveling companion to accompany you if you feel the need for extra peace of mind.
- Don’t advertise the fact that you have a wallet full of cash to strangers.
- Don’t carry around a big sum of money for any longer than is absolutely necessary.
Ask an Expert