Understand what your options are when transferring funds to Portugal.
Enter the amount you want to send to Portugal in the tables below, and pick the provider that best fits your requirements. Our tables will show you transfer speed, fees and exchange rates.
How much do you need to transfer?
Send money to Portugal with WorldRemit
Want to send up to £10,000 to Portugal?These providers specialise in offering low rates to people sending amounts below £10,000.
Want to send over £10,000 to Portugal?
These providers specialise in offering low rates to people sending amounts over £10,000.
How to send money to Portugal in 4 steps
- Set up an account.You can often do this online and you may need to provide your name, address, proof of ID and bank account details.
- Enter details about your transaction. You’ll need to provide details about the amount of money you wish to send, in which currency and where it will be going.
- Provide your recipient’s details. Provide cash pickup or bank account details for your recipient, including their full name.
- Pay for your transfer. Submit your transfer and pay for the transaction. In some cases you may need to pass on a reference number to your recipient.
How do I compare money transfer companies when sending money to Portugal?
As with any product, you’ll find the best deal by shopping around. When you’re using our table to compare, keep the following in mind:
- Exchange rate and fees. Make sure you compare both. While one company might offer a great rate, it might charge higher fees. On the other hand, a company offering a poorer rate may have low or zero fees. Equally, some providers will waive fees if you’re transferring a larger amount.
- Pick up methods. Some transfer companies require that you transfer funds to the recipient’s bank account. Others give recipients the option of picking up cash, which can be particularly useful if the recipient does not have a bank account.
- Transfer methods. If you’re dealing with a mainstream bank you can visit a branch to transfer funds. Otherwise, depending on the service provider you choose, you can transfer funds over the phone, on an app, online, at stores or at specific kiosks.
- Transfer time. If the recipient needs money in a hurry, your best bet is to look for a service that allows cash pickups because this method normally takes no more than a day. Bank account transfers can take between one and five business days.
- Minimum transfer amounts. The minimum you can transfer can vary from one service provider to the next. While some may let you transfer as little as one Great Britain pound, some others have minimum limits as high as £1,000.
- Customer service. If you plan on transferring money to Portugal on an ongoing basis, you may want to look for a company that offers high levels of customer service, along with support via phone, chat and email.