Find a quick, affordable service to make a money transfer to Papua New Guinea
When you need to get money to a loved one overseas, the last thing you want to have to deal with is navigating a potentially complicated and expensive process. Sending money from the United Kingdom to Papua New Guinea doesn’t have to be expensive. Compare the transfer fees and exchange rates of the many options available to you to get the most Papua New Guinean kinas for your money. From bank transfers and online transactions to options that allow recipients to collect your funds within minutes, sending an international money transfer to Papua New Guinea is easy. However, do your research and shop around for the best available deal.
Send your funds with Azimo
Compare Money Transfer Services
Banks versus money transfer companies
Banks might offer a convenient choice when it comes to sending money overseas, but they certainly don’t offer the most cost-effective option. With high transfer fees and some pretty poor exchange rates, banks take more than their fair share of the amount you transfer.
If you want to find a better deal, consider the services offered by money transfer companies such as OFX. These providers concentrate all their efforts on moving funds internationally, offering safe, easy and affordable transfers. With lower transfer fees and superior exchange rates, they can save you money the next time you need to send money to PNG.
Case Study: Ben Sends Money to Papua New Guinea
Ben’s girlfriend Sarah has been transferred to Papua New Guinea to work for six months. With her birthday fast approaching, Ben wants to send Sarah a £500 money transfer as a gift. Instead of approaching his bank to send the transfer — he’s seen the poor exchange rates they offer, and they don’t offer exotic currencies — he decides to compare two money transfer companies and see which one offers the most affordable option.
As you can see in the table below, using the first transfer company will save Ben £5 in transfer fees and also allow him to send an extra 29.45 PGK.
|Money transfer company 1||Money transfer company 2|
|Exchange rate||$1 USD = $3.8670 PGK||$1 USD = $3.8081 PGK|
|Transfer method||Online bank account transfer||Online bank account transfer|
|Processing time||1-3 days||1-3 days|
|Amount received (in PGK)||$1,933.5 PGK||$1,904.05 PGK|
How do I compare transfer companies when sending money to Papua New Guinea?
- Exchange rates. Does the company offer better exchange rates than its competitors?
- Transaction fees. How much will you need to pay in fees each time you send money to Papua New Guinea? Can you avoid fees by sending large transfer amounts?
- Transfer methods. Can you place transfers in a branch or online? What about over the phone or through a mobile app?
- Flexible options. Can you lock in an ideal exchange rate now and transfer the money later, known as a forward contract? Does the institution offer limit orders, which allows you to take advantage of changing market conditions by executing the money transfer when a certain exchange rate is met? Can you schedule recurring payments?
- Transfer time. How long will it take until the funds you send make it into your recipient’s bank account or wallet?
- Minimum transfer amounts. If the company imposes minimum or maximum transfer limits, will these have an impact on your transfer needs?
- Pickup options. Can your beneficiary collect the funds from a cash pickup location? Or will the money be deposited straight into their bank account?
- Customer service. If you ever need help with a transfer, does the company provide phone, email and live chat support?
Foreign exchange rates explained
The exchange rate determines how much one country’s currency is worth in another currency. When a country’s currency is strong, it will yield more money when exchanging it in a country with a weak currency. For example, in December 2016, the pound was worth approximately 26 Mexican pesos. However, most countries’ exchange rates are flexible, which means it can change from moment to moment. Factors that influence the exchange rate include interest rates, economic stability and inflation.
What are my options for sending money to Papua New Guinea from the UK?
- Money transfer providers. Online transfer providers such as OFX offer fast and affordable transfers.
- Cash pickup transfer companies. Western Union and MoneyGram are two world-renowned companies that offer this service.
- Bank transfers. Compare your bank’s exchange rates and fees with those from other transfer providers.
- International checks. International guaranteed checks are a safe but slow transfer method.
What are the steps to send money to Papua New Guinea?
Although the transfer method will differ according to the provider you select, in most cases you will need to:
1. Sign up for an account. You can often do this at no cost online by providing your name, full contact details and a valid form of photo ID.
2. Enter transaction details. Provide details about how much money you’re sending, the currency you’re sending, and who will be receiving the funds.
3. Pay for the transfer. You can then review the details of the transaction and submit a transfer request. Many providers offer online tracking services so you can monitor the progress of your funds.
Tips for picking up cash in Papua New Guinea
When you go to pick up cash from a transfer agent in PNG, follow a few simple precautions to ensure that you stay safe. Don’t go alone to a transfer branch and only pick up cash in an area where you feel safe. Don’t display the cash in front of strangers and make sure to deposit it somewhere safe as soon as possible.Back to top