Compare fees and exchange rates to get the best deal on your next money transfer to New Caledonia.
When you need to get money to a loved one overseas, the last thing you want to have to deal with is navigating a potentially complicated and expensive process. Sending money from the UK to New Caledonia doesn’t have to be expensive. Compare the transfer fees and exchange rates of the many options available to you to get the most CFP francs for your pounds. From bank transfers and online transactions to options that allow recipients to collect your funds within minutes, sending an international money transfer to New Caledonia is easy. However, do your research and shop around for the best available deal.
Send money to New Caledonia with WorldRemit
Case Study: Banks versus money transfer companies
Céline and her husband are expanding their business from New Caledonia to the UK. They want to set up headquarters in both countries and will need to transfer money regularly, so they’re looking for the best and cheapest transfer method.
|Money transfer service 1||Money transfer service 2|
|Exchange rate||£1 = 132.786 XPF||£1 = 134.839 XPF|
|Amount received for £500||66,393.00 XPF||67,419.50 XPF|
|Transfer time||2 working days||2 working days|
|Transfer options||Online transfers, drafts||Online transfer, stop loss order, market order|
Compare international money transfers companies to New Caledonia
How to compare transfer companies when sending money to New Caledonia
When comparing your options, pay attention to these factors:
- Exchange rates. How do each company’s exchange rates compare to the competition?
- Fees. How much will you have to pay to send the transfer? Can you avoid a transfer fee if you send a larger amount?
- Transfer methods. Can transfers be placed online, over the phone, by visiting a branch and/or by using a mobile app?
- Transfer options. Can you lock in an ideal exchange rate now and transfer the money later, known as a forward contract? Does the institution offer limit orders, which allows you to take advantage of changing market conditions by executing the money transfer when a certain exchange rate is met? Can you schedule recurring payments, or does the company only provide one-off spot orders?
- Turnaround time. Will the funds be available for your beneficiary in minutes, or will they take several working days to arrive?
- Minimum transfer amount. What is the minimum transfer limit imposed by each company, and will this affect the size of your transfers?
- Pickup methods. Can your beneficiary pick up the cash from their nearest transfer agent, or will the funds be deposited into their bank account?
- Customer service. What sort of customer support is offered and during what hours can you receive assistance?.
Foreign exchange rates explained
The exchange rate determines how much one country’s currency is worth in another currency. When a country’s currency is strong, it will yield more money when exchanging it in a country with a weak currency. For example, in December 2016, the pound was worth approximately 26 Mexican pesos. However, most countries’ exchange rates are flexible, which means it can change from moment to moment. Factors that influence the exchange rate include interest rates, economic stability and inflation.
How do international money transfers work?
An international money transfer allows you to send money to a recipient overseas. Generally, a transfer involves you providing funds to a bank or an independent transfer provider, which then sends the money to your recipient in another country — in this case, New Caledonia. This can be done in person or oftentimes online. You can use cash or transfer funds from your bank account, which will then either be deposited into your recipient’s bank account are made available as cash for them to pick up at a location in their country.Back to top
Emergency cash transfers to New Caledonia
There are certain situations when you might need to send a transfer as quickly as possible. When you do need to send an emergency transfer, remember that you will usually have to pay extra in order to get your funds to your beneficiary ASAP. Make sure to check the exchange rate and fees that apply so you know exactly how much it will cost.Back to top
What are the steps to send money to New Caledonia?
You have the choice between online transfer services, bank to bank transactions and services like Western Union that allow recipients to collect money in person at a designated pick-up location. Most transfer services will require that you set up an account. You’ll be asked to provide the following information:
- Your contact details
- Credit card or bank account information
- Your recipient’s information
Once sent, you’ll receive a reference number that you should pass on to your recipient.Back to top
Tips for picking up cash in New Caledonia
When picking up your funds, go during the day and make sure you get there within the office hours. Loitering outside makes you a target. Ask someone to accompany you.