Find a quick, affordable service to make a money transfer to Lesotho.
Sending money from the UK to Lesotho doesn’t have to be expensive. From bank transfers and online transactions to options that allow recipients to collect your funds within minutes, you’ll want to compare the transfer fees and exchange rates of the many options available to you to get the best deal.
Send money to Lesotho with Azimo
Compare international money transfers to Lesotho
Use our interactive table to compare transfer fees, exchange rates and other details for sending funds to Lesotho with our money transfer partners.
Banks vs. money transfer services
If you’re thinking about sending money to Lesotho through your local bank, think again. While it will easily send international wire transfers all around the world, you’ll pay a high transfer fee of up to £50 for the privilege. Banks also typically offer dismal exchange rates on international transfers.
Do your wallet a favor by considering the services of a specialist money transfer company. These companies don’t spread themselves across a wide range of products and services like the banks. Instead, they specialize in sending money internationally and can therefore offer far superior exchange rates. With their secure transfers also come lower transfer fees, allowing you and your recipient to enjoy a better financial deal.
Case study: Blessing sends money to Lesotho
Blessing is spending two years studying and working in Manchester. She wants to send part of the money she has saved back home to her parents in Lesotho. But when she sees that the weak exchange rate offered by her bank will eat a big chunk of her £500 transfer, she approaches two money transfer companies to see if they can offer a better deal.
|Money Transfer Company A
||Money Transfer Company B
|Exchange rate||£1 = 15.9244 LSL||£1 = 15.7489 LSL|
|Transfer speed||10 minutes||1 hour|
||Cash pickup||Cash pickup|
|Total LSL received
||7,962.20 LSL||7,874.45 LSL|
Blessing discovers that she can send an extra 87.75 Lesotho loti and also save £8 in transfer fees by using Money Transfer Company A.
How to compare transfer companies when sending money to Lesotho
- Exchange rates. Nearly all providers skew exchange rates for a profit. Compare the rate you’re offered to the mid-market rate — the rate banks and transfer services use when they trade among themselves — and look for the smallest margin between them.
- Transfer fees. Find out whether the provider charges a flat fee or a percentage of your transfer. If you’re sending a large amount, ask whether you qualify for a fee-free transfer.
- Transfer methods. Common methods for placing transfers include online, through a mobile app, over the phone or at an agent location.
- “Hedging” options. Ask whether you can schedule payments ahead of time or protect your transfer against market fluctuations with a limit order or forward contract.
- Transfer speed. If it needs to be there fast, companies like Western Union and MoneyGram allow for quick cash pickups, often in minutes. If you’ve more time, you’ll get better rates and fees with an independent provider.
- Transfer limits. Your best option might depend on how much you want to send. For large transfers, weigh the best exchange rate — especially since providers encourage large transfers by offering low fees. For smaller amounts, consider the fees you’ll pay on top of the exchange rate.
- Customer service. Most companies offer customer service by Internet chat, phone, in person or by email. Make sure help will be available if you need it.
How to send money to Lesotho from the UK
- Bank transfers. Transfers between banks are a secure but expensive transfer method.
- Money transfer providers. It’s simple and convenient to send an online money transfer to Lesotho from the comfort of your home.
- Providers with cash pickup. Companies like Western Union and MoneyGram offer the option of cash pickups from thousands of agent locations across Lesotho.
- M-Pesa. M-Pesa is a safe, secure way to send, receive and store money through your mobile phone or an app. Top up your account at one of more than 287,000 agent locations and then send money to loved ones, who can visit an agent to withdraw their funds.
- Checks and money orders. Although not a quick option, you could send an international check overseas, obtained from your bank or US Postal Service.
Emergency cash transfers in Lesotho
You might need to send an emergency cash transfer to Lesotho — for example, if a friend traveling through the country loses their wallet. When you need to transfer funds urgently, your fastest possible transfer will often be your most expensive option. Carefully review the exchange rate and transfer fee against your needs so that you understand exactly how much it will cost you.Back to topFind a money transfer location near youBack to top
Tips for picking up cash in Lesotho
Whether picking up funds in Lesotho or anywhere else around the world, take a few simple safety precautions to prevent yourself becoming a target for thieves.
- Call ahead. Learn the company’s business hours and choose a safe time to pick up your cash. Daylight hours are best.
- Bring a friend. Carrying money when alone can be dangerous. Ask a friend to come along.
- Deposit your money immediately. The likelihood of losing your money to theft or simple carelessness grows the longer you have it with you. Go straight to a bank and deposit your cash as soon as possible.
- Keep your cash hidden. Place your money in your purse or wallet before leaving the office. Carrying cash out in
How to send money to Lesotho
In general, to initiate an international money transfer, you’ll need to provide:
- Your full name and contact information.
- Government-issued ID, such as your driver’s license or passport.
- Your recipient’s full name and contact information.
- How you’re sending the money, whether for cash pickup at an agent location or for deposit to your recipient’s bank account.
- If a bank transfer, your recipient’s bank name, routing and account numbers.
- Accepted method of payment.
Once you’ve supplied your relevant details, you can pay for your transfer and receive a transaction reference number, which you can use to check up on the progress of your funds.