Send money to Bermuda
Take advantage of low fees and competitive exchange rates when sending money to Bermuda.
The tiny British Overseas Territory of Bermuda, located in the North Atlantic, boasts a subtropical climate and beautiful beaches that make it a hotspot for tourists.
If you want to send money to Bermuda from the United Kingdom, there are several ways you can do so. From banks to specialist money transfer providers, it’s important that you compare the cost involved in sending funds overseas before you commit to a particular transfer option.
Exchange rates and fees vary widely from one transfer company to the next, so you need to hunt around for the best possible deal.
Compare services that send money to Bermuda from the UK
Banks versus money transfer companies
Instead of shopping around for a more affordable deal, many people simply send money overseas via their bank – which is a big mistake. Banks offer some of the lowest exchange rates around on the international money transfer market, while they also regularly charge high fees on each transaction. If you want to find a more cost-effective way to send a transfer, consider the services offered by dedicated online money transfer companies. Specialising in handling international transfers from the UK to countries around the world, these companies offer far better exchange rates and more reasonable fees than the banks. In addition to saving you money, they also offer the convenience of fast and secure online transactions.
Case Study: Bill Sends Money to Bermuda
Bill is spending 18 months working in Hull and saving money for his family back home in Bermuda. But when he gets word from his sister that she has fallen behind on her rent and she needs money ASAP, Bill plans to send an emergency transfer of funds. Rather than sending money via his bank and accepting their low exchange rate and slow processing time, he compares the services of two money transfer companies that offer a cash pickup option. Rather than sending Bermudian Dollars, Bill decides to send pounds to his sister
|Money transfer company 1||Money transfer company 2|
|Exchange rate||1 GBP= 1.14 USD||1 GBP= 1.19 USD|
|Transfer method||Online transfer paid via credit or debit card||In-branch transfer using cash or credit card|
|Transfer time||30 minutes||10 minutes|
|Amount received (in USD)||$1,140||$1,190|
As you can see, Bill can send an extra USD $50 by using the second transfer company and also save £25 in transfer fees.
How do I compare transfer companies when transferring and receiving money via Bermuda?
- Exchange rates. Look for a provider that regularly offers better exchange rates than its competitors, but watch out for providers who suck you in with great rates but then slug you with high transaction fees.
- Transfer fees. You’ll generally need to pay a transfer fee each time you send money overseas, so compare the fees and charges each company imposes per transaction. Some providers will even offer a fee-free threshold, which means you won’t have to pay any fee if you transfer more than a specified amount.
- Transfer methods. Some companies only offer online transfers while others will require you to visit a branch. Telephone transfers and mobile app transactions are also available.
- Options available. Forward contracts and limit orders are options offered by some providers to help you get a good exchange rate for your transaction. Some companies also offer the convenience of scheduling regular transfers in advance.
- Turnaround time. Some companies can get your funds to your beneficiary in around 10 minutes, while others will take several business days to process transfers.
- Minimum transfer amounts. If a company imposes a minimum limit of £500 on each transfer, will this be suitable for your needs?
- Pickup options. How will your beneficiary receive the funds: will they be deposited into his or her bank account or made available for collection from a cash pickup point?
- Customer service. Finally, make sure that the company you choose to handle your transaction has an excellent reputation for customer service. If you ever need a question answered, knowing that the help you need will be instantly available offers peace of mind.
How do I send money to Bermuda from the UK?
- Specialist transfer companies. There are some specialist online money transfer companies that offer quick and easy transfers to Bermuda, but most will only allow you to send US Dollars rather than Bermudian Dollars.
- Cash pickup transfer companies. Western Union and MoneyGram are two companies that offer this service.
- Bank transfers. Speak to your bank about the possibility of sending an international transfer from your UK account to an account with a bank in Bermuda.
- Interbank transfers. If you have an account with an international bank that also has branches in Bermuda, for example HSBC, you can often send fast and affordable transfers from the UK to an account in Bermuda with the same bank.
- International cheques. A slower and often more expensive option is to post an international guaranteed cheque to your recipient in Bermuda.
How do I receive money from Bermuda in the UK?
- Specialist transfer companies. It’s simple and quick to sign up for an account with a provider and receive transfers from all over the world.
- Cash pickup transfer companies. Companies such as Western Union and MoneyGram allow you to collect cash from agent locations across the UK.
- Bank transfers. Transfers from Bermudan banks to UK banks are easy but may not be the most cost-effective option.
- Interbank transfers. International banks with branches in Bermuda and UK offer cheap intrabank transfers.
- International cheques. International guaranteed cheques are a secure transfer method but can be slow and expensive.
Emergency cash transfers in Bermuda
If you ever need to send an emergency cash transfer to Bermuda, watch out for any extra costs associated with the transaction. Urgent transfers regularly attract worse exchange rates and higher fees than ordinary transactions, so double check the full cost of your transfer before deciding on which provider you use. Taking a few extra moments to read the fine print can save you a whole lot of money.
Tips for picking up cash in Bermuda
If you’re picking up cash in Bermuda following a money transfer, make sure to exercise a few simple precautions to ensure the safety of yourself and your money. Avoid visiting any unsafe or high-crime areas and don’t carry large sums of money around in public. Keep your money hidden at all times and if possible, have a friend accompany you when you go to pick up the funds and provide an extra deterrent against thieves.
What are the steps to send money to Bermuda?
Although transfer processes differ between providers, you will generally need to do the following in order to send a transfer:
- Sign up for an account. Many providers offer a quick, free and simple online signup process. You will usually need to provide your name, contact details and bank account information.
- Enter transaction details. The next step is to provide information about how much money you’re sending, in which currency, and where you are transferring the funds to. You’ll also need to provide your recipient’s name and contact details.
- Finalise your transfer. You can then submit and pay for your transaction, and make sure you keep your receipt or reference number so you can monitor the progress of your transaction.
Ask an Expert