Regular overseas payments with an international money transfer
Manage your international transactions conveniently by setting up regular overseas payments.
If you need to pay an overseas bill on a regular basis, such as rent or a mortgage repayment, the process of sending an international money transfer every fortnight or month can be time-consuming. But you don’t have to go to all the hassle of setting up a new payment every time you send funds overseas. There are now plenty of money transfer providers that offer the convenient option of setting up recurring transfers in advance.
Compare transfer services that support recurring payments
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
How do regular overseas payments work?
An international money transfer is often a one-off payment. For example, one-time financial support for a family member overseas. But sometimes you need to make regular overseas payments to manage your financial obligations, which is when you can benefit from setting up a regular transfer in advance.
The process requires you to pay money to your bank or to a money transfer company that takes care of the transaction. The company you choose will convert your British pounds into the currency at your transfer destination and then transfer those funds to your recipient.
Companies that only offer one-off transfers will require you to go through the time-consuming process of entering your transaction information and recipient’s bank account details every time you need to make a payment. However, some transfer companies make it possible to enter your recipient and transfer information only once and then arrange for a transfer to be made at specific intervals, such as monthly.
Some companies will even allow you to lock in a competitive exchange rate for transactions that will take place up to a year in advance, allowing you to protect yourself from market fluctuations.
While you could send an international money transfer through any major financial institution, banks often charge high fees and offer poor exchange rates on these types of transactions. Online money transfer providers such as XE and Wise can offer much better value for money on international transfers, with better rates and lower fees.
Why might I need to make regular overseas payments?
There are range of reasons why you might need to set up a regular overseas payment schedule, such as:
- Paying rent on property overseas
- Paying a mortgage in another country
- Paying a large overseas purchase in instalments, such as a luxury car
- Sending a monthly allowance to a son or daughter travelling overseas
- Paying salaries to staff members based overseas
How do I compare international money transfer services?
Ask yourself the following questions when searching around for the right company to handle your regular overseas payments:
- What exchange rates do they offer? How do those rates compare to other companies and do they represent a fair deal?
- How much will you need to pay per transfer? As well as the regular transfer fee that applies, will you need to pay an additional fee for the privilege of setting up a regular transfer? Can you save money if you transfer a larger amount?
- Can you set up a recurring transfer? How far in advance can you set up transfers and is it an easy process?
- Are forward contracts available? A forward contract allows you to secure the current exchange rate on a future transaction and can help you save money if the exchange rate falls in the interim.
- How are the funds sent and received? Will your money be sent by bank account transfer or in cash? Can you place the transfer online or over the phone, or will you need to visit a branch? At the other end of the transaction, will the funds be made available for cash collection or simply deposited into your recipient’s bank account?
- How long will it take? If speed is critical when you make an overseas payment, check how long you’ll have to wait for the money to be received at the other end.
- What currencies can you send? Check to see which currencies you can transfer as well as which countries you can send funds to.
- Is customer support available? You don’t want to be caught high and dry if you ever have trouble with a transfer, so check the company’s reputation when it comes to customer service and make sure you can get help whenever you need it.
What are the pros and cons of regular overseas payments?
- Manage your international payments. Whether you’re paying rent or helping out a family member, regular international money transfers allow you to stay on top of your finances from just about anywhere.
- Easy to do. Sending an international transfer might sound complex, but it’s actually quite simple when you use an online transfer provider.
- More affordable than ever. As an increasing number of online transfer companies compete with the banks for market share, it’s never been cheaper to send funds overseas.
- Not all companies allow you to set up regular transfers. Unless you choose a provider that allows you to conveniently set up a regular payment, you’ll have to endure the frustrating task of manually entering your transfer details every time you need to send funds overseas.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Alternatives to Atlantic Money
Compare money transfer providers like Atlantic Money that offer online transfers, cash pickups, spot contracts and more.
Key Currency review
Discover if this UK-based currency broker can save you money on your next international money transfer.
Paysend offers transfers to more than 150 countries through its app and online service.
Map: The cost of a pint of beer around the world
Use our interactive map to find out the cost of a pint of beer in 159 countries, and learn the average cost of a pint across the UK.
Sendwave money transfer UK review
This mobile app offers quick money transfers to Asia and Africa.
Xe money transfer calculator and review
Xe is a leading company of currency solutions that offers competitive exchange rates, no fees and fast money transfers.
OFX money transfers review
Read our review of OFX and see if it’s right for your next international money transfer.
Currencies Direct review
Currencies Direct offers powerful support with international money transfer and exchange tools and services.
OrbitRemit international money transfers
Read our detailed review of OrbitRemit international money transfers, including exchange rates, fees, payment methods and safety.
CurrencyFair international money transfers
Check out our comprehensive review of CurrencyFair international money transfers, including fees, exchange rates, security and transfer times.