How to cancel TalkTalk broadband
Whether you're still in a contract or it's come to an end, we walk you through cancelling your TalkTalk broadband service.
What's in this guide?
Maybe you’re after a faster broadband service, or you’re moving out of your property and in with your partner. Whatever the reason, you might be looking to cancel your TalkTalk broadband.
This could seem like a bit of a hassle and prove expensive – especially if you have several months left on your deal. Leaving TalkTalk will also mean you lose access to YouView TV.
However, if you’ve weighed up these issues and decided you still want to end your contract, then our guide will explain exactly what you have to do to cancel.
When to cancel your TalkTalk broadband
In theory, there’s nothing stopping anyone cancelling their TalkTalk broadband. However, if you haven’t reached the end of your agreed contract length, it’s going to cost you.
How much depends on the amount of time left on your deal and what type of broadband package TalkTalk provide you with.
How to cancel your TalkTalk broadband out of contract
If your original TalkTalk broadband contract is up and you’re now on a rolling monthly deal, getting out is pretty simple.
For those looking to change provider, simply find a different broadband provider that operates in your area. After signing up with your new broadband company it will, in most cases, handle your switch.
Ceasing your broadband
However, if you are signing up with Virgin Media and don’t want to take your home phone number, you’ll have to call, write a letter or speak online with TalkTalk, outlining your intention to leave.
Likewise, if you’re not changing provider but just want to get rid of your broadband, you’ll have to do the heavy lifting.
It’s important to bear in mind you need to give TalkTalk 30 days notice.
So, once you’ve made the phone call or TalkTalk has received your letter, your broadband will end 30 days from that period.
How to cancel your TalkTalk broadband while in a contract
Unfortunately, if you haven’t come to the end of your agreed broadband term limit with TalkTalk, you’ll generally have to pay for an early termination fee.
The cost of this will vary depending on the type of service you’re signed up for and how long you have left on your TalkTalk deal.
If you’re not put off by this early exit fee, then here’s what you should do next. We break down the different steps into whether you’re switching provider or simply cancelling your broadband.
If you are switching provider
So you’re adamant you want to switch broadband provider. You’ve had enough with TalkTalk or you simply think the grass will be greener elsewhere. Here’s how you go about switching.
- Find a new provider. Check which broadband providers operate in your area. Most companies use Openreach infrastructure, so this should be easy. Virgin Media is an exception to this.
- Switching provider. Sit back and relax, as the new provider will contact TalkTalk and tell them you’re switching. Your broadband will then automatically switch to your new provider too.
- Switching to Virgin Media. If you’re moving to Virgin and you don’t want to take your home phone number with you, you’ll need to get in touch with TalkTalk yourself. Call, send a letter or chat to an assistant online.
- Pay outstanding fees. TalkTalk will ask you to pay any outstanding bills, as well as any early termination fees.
- Return your TV box. If you have TalkTalk TV, you need to call and ask it to send you a prepaid returns bag. If you don’t, TalkTalk will charge you £75!
If you are not switching provider
You might be moving in with a partner or leaving the country. Whatever the case, you might want to just cancel your broadband while still in your contract period. It’s a bit more hassle than switching provider but still doable.
- Notify TalkTalk. Call, send a letter or speak with an assistant on the TalkTalk website, explain that you wish to cancel.
- If cancelling by post. Clearly and unambiguously state you wish to stop your TalkTalk broadband. You’ll need to provide your full name, your TalkTalk phone number, your signature and your contact phone number or address.
- Month’s notice. You need to give TalkTalk a month’s notice, so you can’t just cancel the broadband overnight.
- Outstanding fees. Pay any early termination charges or other fees within this month-long notice period.
- Return TV box. As mentioned above, if you have TalkTalk TV, you need to call and ask for a prepaid returns bag. If you don’t, TalkTalk will charge you £75!
Are there any fees associated with cancelling?
Early termination charges. As discussed, if you’ve signed up for a contract, you’ll have to pay a fee to leave TalkTalk. The amount will depend on the services you have and how long you have left on your deal.
Commitment breakage fee. Watch out for this one. You’ll get charged if you sign up for a boost but then cancel it before the minimum commitment period is over. This period is generally about a month.
Cooling off period. You can cancel your TalkTalk broadband within the first 20 days of getting it without being penalised. However, you still have to pay for the services you used in that time.
Compare broadband plans
Find a new broadband supplier
If you have had enough of your current broadband supplier and want to find a new one, use our comparison service to find one to suit you.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
The most talked about shows of 2020 on social media: Love Island accounted for almost HALF of posts
The most talked about shows of 2020 have been revealed, with Love Island accounting for almost half (48%) of all tweets posted by Brits. It generated almost 10 times more posts than the second most popular show, I’m A Celebrity…Get Me Out Of Here.
How to cancel life insurance
If you’re thinking of cancelling your life insurance policy, rest assured that it can be done. Find out how to cancel, how much it costs and what the consequences might be.
Best current accounts in the UK 2021
Find out what the best bank account is for packaged accounts, basic accounts and cashback accounts.
Compare the best energy deals of 2021
Compare, switch and save on your bills using our comprehensive guide. Learn the tips and tricks to beat the energy suppliers and save money.
Where to watch Keeping Up With The Kardashians online for free
Find out where the easiest place to stream Keeping Up With The Kardashians is online.
Compare current accounts
If you don’t feel like you’re getting much from your bank account, switching has never been easier! Banks and building societies offer up cash and vouchers when you switch, and will handle the boring bits for you.
Where to watch the FA Women’s Super League (FA WSL) 2020/21 season online
Looking to follow your favourite women’s football team in the WSL? Catch selected games on BT Sport through the NOW TV Smart Stick and via the FA Player.
How to recession-proof your finances
Find out some key tips on what you can do with your money to help weather the recession of 2020.
How to increase your upload speed
With upload speeds usually lagging behind download speeds in the UK, read our tips on how to improve your service.
How to cancel your Disney+ subscription
Need to take a break from streaming for a while? Cancelling your Disney+ account is quick and easy. Read our step-by-step guide.
Ask an Expert