How do we rate business bank accounts?
There is an increasing number of business bank accounts out there on the market in the UK – here's how we decide our top picks.
What factors do we take into account to compare business bank accounts?
To come up with our expert summaries and top picks, we assess products across several key areas:
- Fees. This is measured in relation to similar accounts on the market. Some business bank accounts are free (or offer a basic free version), while others have a flat monthly fee. Some business account providers offer a tiered pricing plan, where your fee increases with the amount of functionality and transactions you have available on your account. We also consider any charges for things like international spending or ATM withdrawals.
- Customer service. This is also measured in relation to similar accounts on the market. We base this on our own experts’ use of the product, user feedback, press reports, customer reviews and forum discussions.
- App rating. Where the business bank account comes with a mobile app, we look at the app’s rating in the Google Play Store and the App Store.
- Range of features. Some business bank accounts and their associated mobile apps offer a limited number of features, while others offer a much wider range, such as expense tracking, budgeting tools or invoice creation.
- Integrations. The integration of other technology platforms, such as accounting and reporting software, is of particular interest to business bank account holders, so we look at what’s available on that front too.
- Account opening and other services. We consider how quick and easy it is to open an account (particularly online or through a mobile app). We also weigh up what other services you’ll get with the account, such as a credit card, cashback rewards for your spending, or the ability to take card payments from your own customers.
How do we choose our “best” business bank accounts?
Our top picks are displayed across our business banking content and feature four of our favourite business bank accounts.
The providers are chosen from among our partners, using the methodology above to identify the business banking accounts with the strongest offering in a particular area.
The four areas that we’re currently selecting top picks for are:
- Best for small businesses
- Best for invoicing
- Best for beginners
- Best for cashback
Ask an Expert