How do we rate business bank accounts?
There is an increasing number of business bank accounts out there on the market in the UK – here's how we decide our top picks.
What factors do we take into account to compare business bank accounts?
To come up with our expert summaries and top picks, we assess products across several key areas:
- Fees. This is measured in relation to similar accounts on the market. Some business bank accounts are free (or offer a basic free version), while others have a flat monthly fee. Some business account providers offer a tiered pricing plan, where your fee increases with the amount of functionality and transactions you have available on your account. We also consider any charges for things like international spending or ATM withdrawals.
- Customer service. This is also measured in relation to similar accounts on the market. We base this on our own experts’ use of the product, user feedback, press reports, customer reviews and forum discussions.
- App rating. Where the business bank account comes with a mobile app, we look at the app’s rating in the Google Play Store and the App Store.
- Range of features. Some business bank accounts and their associated mobile apps offer a limited number of features, while others offer a much wider range, such as expense tracking, budgeting tools or invoice creation.
- Integrations. The integration of other technology platforms, such as accounting and reporting software, is of particular interest to business bank account holders, so we look at what’s available on that front too.
- Account opening and other services. We consider how quick and easy it is to open an account (particularly online or through a mobile app). We also weigh up what other services you’ll get with the account, such as a credit card, cashback rewards for your spending, or the ability to take card payments from your own customers.
How do we choose our “best” business bank accounts?
Our top picks are displayed across our business banking content and feature four of our favourite business bank accounts.
The providers are chosen from among our partners, using the methodology above to identify the business banking accounts with the strongest offering in a particular area.
The four areas that we’re currently selecting top picks for are:
- Best for small businesses
- Best for invoicing
- Best for beginners
- Best for cashback
More guides on Finder
Revolut launches an online web app for its personal bank account holders
Customers can now access their accounts and card settings from a desktop or laptop, as well as through their smartphone app.
Opening a bank account for a club
Opening a current account for your club, community organisation, sporting society or charity can take a bit of time, but is a fundamental step in setting up your organisation. This guide covers the basics you need to get started.
How to open a bank account without ID in the UK
While it’s impossible to open a bank account without proving your identity, banks accept a range of documents as ID; so even if you don’t have a passport or a driving licence, you should be able to get one. Here’s how to go about it.
Ethical bank accounts
How can you make sure that your money is not being use to support companies that are unethical or harm the environment? You can choose an ethical bank.
Best bank accounts
Discover how to find the best bank account for your needs.
Guaranteed business bank accounts
If your credit score is less than ideal, you might be worried about being refused for a business account application. But there are business accounts with no credit checks, sometimes referred to as “guaranteed”, that can offer a solution.
Business bank accounts for discharged bankrupts
It can be hard to get accepted for a business account after bankruptcy, even once you have been discharged. But some banks do offer business bank accounts without credit checks and will allow you to open an account.
Benefits of a business account
While it may look like additional admin work, opening a separate business account is actually likely to make your work life easier and more organised. Here are the pros and cons.
How to set up a business bank account
Need a bank account for your business but unsure of where to start? This guide covers all the basics, from why it’s a good idea to open one to the documents you will need.
Compare business bank accounts for startups
Started up your own business and want to know more about opening a bank account? We take a look at what’s involved.
Ask an Expert