Santander offers cover for buildings and contents, as well as combined building and contents policies with two levels of cover. Customers can also get 2% cashback on premiums by using selected Santander savings accounts.
Compare your Santander home insurance options below.
What is Santander?
The Santander Group is a Spanish commercial banking and financial services company that was founded in 1857. Along with traditional banking products, Santander also offers car, travel, life and home insurance.
What are Santander’s cover options?
- Santander Everyday home insurance. The standard level of cover, which received a 3-star rating from Defaqto.
- Santander Premier home insurance. A comprehensive policy with unlimited sum insured amount and a 5-star rating from Defaqto.
What is covered under my policy?
The level of cover offered by Santander Everyday and Premier home insurance is as follows:
|Cover benefits||Santander Everyday||Santander Premier|
|Buildings cover||Up to £500,000||Unlimited|
|Alternative accommodation||Up to £25,000||Unlimited|
|Emergency access||Up to sum insured||Unlimited|
|Trace and access of water and oil||Up to £2,500||Up to £5,000|
|Personal liability||Up to £2 million||Up to £2 million|
|Contents||Up to £50,000||Unlimited|
|Business equipment||Up to £10,000||Up to £10,000|
|Cash in home||Up to £500||Up to £500|
|Food in freezers||Up to sum insured||Unlimited|
|Garden cover||Up to £2,500||Up to £2,500|
|Contents in garden||£500||£1,000|
|Contents in garage||£750||£2,500|
|Loss of domestic heating fuel||£2,000||Unlimited|
|Loss of metered water||£2,000||£2,000|
You have the choice of a range of additional cover options, including:
- Personal belongings
- Accidental damage
- Home emergency cover
- Legal services cover
What is my excess?
The excess is the amount you have to pay every time you make an insurance claim.
Santander offers you the choice of excess for buildings and contents claims. Customers with Everyday cover can choose an excess of £200 to £500, while Premier customers can choose an excess of £100 to £500.
If you need to make an escape of water claim, you will need to pay an excess of £350 on an Everyday policy, or from £100 on a Premier policy. Subsidence claims will also have a £1,000 excess, regardless of which policy you are on.
You can read more about your excess in your policy document.
How much is this going to cost me?
Santander offers basic home insurance cover from £12 per month, but the cost of your policy will depend on a number of factors, such as:
- Your level of cover. The type of policy you get, as well as any additional cover options, affects the overall cost of your insurance.
- Your sum insured. This is the amount you’re covered for in the event your home or contents need to be rebuilt or replaced. The higher your sum insured, the more you will pay for your premiums, but the more you will be covered for in the event you make a claim.
- Your location. Where you live also plays a role in determining the size of your premium. Some areas are more at risk to things like flood, fire and theft, which is reflected in the cost of insurance.
- Your house. The size, style and structure of your home are also factored in to the cost of your insurance.
- Security. You can generally reduce how much you pay for your policy by improving the security around your house. This can include cameras, fences and locks.
Santander customers can also receive 2% cashback on the cost of their premiums if they pay using selected Santander savings accounts.
What is the claims process for Santander?
As Santander home insurance is underwritten by Aviva, you will need to contact Aviva in the event you want to make a claim. You can make a claim online or by calling the 24-hour helpline. You will need to provide the following information when making a claim:
- Your policy number
- Details of the incident, including time and date
- Any relevant receipts, quotes or invoices
- Photos of damaged or lost property
If you make a claim outside of regular business hours, you may have to wait until the following working day to receive a response.
Santander pros and cons
- 5-star Defaqto rating for Premier cover
- 2% cashback for Santander banking customers
- Choice of excess
More guides on Finder
Santander Everyday Long Term Balance Transfer Credit Card review 2021
Clear your card debt faster and more cheaply with Santander’s market-leading deal.
How to cancel a Santander credit card
Learn what to expect when cancelling your Santander card, along with steps and documentation.
Santander World Elite Mastercard review 2021
Discover the benefits and travel perks of this premium Mastercard from Santander.
Santander All in One Credit Card review 2021
Find out about all the benefits and fees of this rewarding Santander Mastercard.
Santander Zero Credit Card review
Take advantage of no foreign transaction fees or cash withdrawal fees when you travel with this Santander card.
Santander Everyday No Balance Transfer Fee Credit Card review 2021
Take advantage of interest-free balance transfers without the fees with this Santander credit card.