Who is WPA?
WPA is a health insurance specialist that has been covering the cost of private healthcare for its members since 1901.
What’s included with WPA Health Insurance?
WPA offers four types of health insurance policy.
These policies are:
- Flexible Health. This policy covers you (and potentially your immediate family) for a range of in-patient, day-patient and outpatient treatments. There are three levels of cover to choose from.
- Multi-Family Healthcare. The same level of cover as Flexible Health, but you have the opportunity to add two or more family members from different households. Your partner can be added at no extra cost with this policy.
- NHS Top-Up Personal. A simple cash plan that lets you claim your money back on everyday healthcare expenses, up to age 65. Your children are included on the policy for free.
- NHS Top-Up Dental Cash Plan. A cash plan for routine and emergency dental treatments.
The table below outlines the level of care provided by each policy.
|Available cover||Flexible Health*||Multi-Family Healthcare*||NHS Top-Up Personal||NHS Top-Up Dental*|
|Quick access to in-patient and day-patient treatment, drugs, scans, therapies and diagnostic tests||✓||✓|
|Passive and active prostheses||✓||✓|
|Outpatient consultations, treatments, scan and diagnostic tests||✓||✓|
|Outpatient therapies||✓||✓||Up to £400 per year|
|Second opinion consultant service||✓||✓||✓|
|Remote GP services||✓||✓|
|Health and wellbeing helpline||✓||✓||✓|
|Benefits towards NHS treatment||Up to £4,500 per year||Up to £4,500 per year||Optional|
|Cancer care team support||✓||✓|
|General dental treatment||Up to £450 per year||Up to £450 per year||Up to £150 per year||Unlimited cover for NHS treatment**|
|Treatment for dental emergencies and injuries||Up to £20,000 per year||Optional||Up to £20,000 per year|
|Parental accommodation costs (when child is in hospital)||Up to 10 days||Up to 10 days|
|Optical treatment||Up to £200 per year||Up to £200 per year||Up to £150 per year|
|Private ambulance transport||✓||✓|
|Home nursing services||Up to 4 weeks per year||✓|
*This table is based on the highest available level of cover. There may be annual limits on the level of cover offered.
**Unlimited cover for NHS treatment or 75% contribution up to £250 per year for private dental treatment.
WPA Health Insurance will not cover you in the following scenarios:
- Pre-existing medical conditions
- Chronic health conditions, including arthritis, asthma, diabetes and epilepsy
- Cosmetic surgery
- Fertility problems, pregnancy or childbirth
- Mental health treatment
- Injuries sustained through winter sports
This is just a selection of exclusions. There may be other scenarios where your policy won’t cover you.
To make a claim for private treatment:
- Visit your GP for an open referral to a specialist or therapist.
- Call WPA’s claims team on 0345 122 3100 for pre-authorisation.
- You’ll be sent documents to be completed by you and your specialist.
- Once the form is completed and sent back to the insurer, it will confirm your appointment and any outstanding payments due.
To make a claim for cash benefits, log into the WPA website and complete a claim form.
Managing your policy
You can manage your policy online via the WPA website. Just click the “sign in” button in the top right corner of the website, then enter your username and password on the next page.
You’ll be prompted to choose these when you first sign up for WPA health insurance.
How to contact WPA health insurance
For general queries, call 01823 625050.
Pros and cons
- Choose from four policies, each with multiple levels of cover.
- Cover your whole family on one policy, even when they live in multiple households.
- Cancer treatment included as standard.
- Mental health treatment not covered.
- Treatment for pre-existing and chronic conditions not covered.
WPA health insurance is particularly beneficial for families, especially if you want to cover family members who don’t share a house with you. As there are several flexible levels of coverage on offer, you should be able to find suitable cover for your budget. However, if mental health treatment is important to you, you might want to look elsewhere.
Frequently asked questions about WPA health insurance
More guides on Finder
Project Screen by Prenetics review: Private COVID-19 testing for travel
We reviewed Project Screen, a government-listed COVID test provider which offers a full range of PCR and lateral flow travel testing services.
Volvo V60 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Volvo V60 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Chrysler Ypsilon insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Chrysler Ypsilon falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Lotus Elise insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Lotus Elise falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Volkswagen Bora insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Volkswagen Bora falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Skoda Roomster insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Skoda Roomster falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Peugeot RCZ insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Peugeot RCZ falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Smart Fortwo insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Smart Fortwo falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Kia Sedona insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Kia Sedona falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Toyota Supra insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Toyota Supra falls under and how much it costs to insure.