Planning to shell out a small fortune on AppleCare+ to cover accidental damage to your iPhone? Stop! First, check these alternatives – you could save yourself enough to buy a decent mini-speaker.
Compare iPhone insurance providers
What's in this guide?
- Compare iPhone insurance providers
- What is iPhone insurance?
- What does iPhone insurance cover?
- What isn't covered under an iPhone insurance policy?
- Do I need iPhone insurance?
- iPhone insurance vs AppleCare
- The cost of repairs for iPhones out of warranty
- How to find the best iPhone insurance policy
- How much does iPhone insurance cost?
- How do I claim on my iPhone insurance policy?
- The bottom line
- Frequently asked questions about iPhone insurance
What is iPhone insurance?
iPhone insurance will cover the cost of repairing or replacing your Apple iPhone if it gets lost or damaged.
A handful of insurers offer specialist iPhone insurance, including additional cover related specifically to Apple products, but you can also cover any iPhone with mobile phone insurance too.
In this guide, we’ve set out scenarios where iPhone insurance will cover you – and when it won’t.
What does iPhone insurance cover?
You can expect iPhone insurance to cover the costs of repairing or replacing your phone in the following circumstances.
- Accidental damage. If your phone is damaged or broken accidentally.
- Malicious damage. If someone deliberately damages your device.
- Liquid damage. Damage caused by exposure to liquid.
- Screen damage. Cracks or defects in the screen.
- Mechanical breakdown. If the phone breaks through no fault of your own.
- Loss or theft. If your phone is lost or stolen.
- Unauthorised usage. If your phone is stolen, you’ll also be covered for charges resulting from unauthorised usage by the thief. This includes the thief accessing your e-wallet.
- Accessories cover. You’ll be covered for replacing or repairing any accessories lost or damaged along with the phone.
With some iPhone policies, you’ll be covered overseas, as well as in the UK. You may also be covered for damage, loss or theft of the device while it’s in the possession of an immediate family member.
Some of the scenarios listed above may only be covered by specific insurers if you purchase a paid add-on. Some may not be covered at all by specific insurers.
What isn’t covered under an iPhone insurance policy?
There are few iPhone insurance policies that will cover devices bought second-hand. Most insurers will only cover iPhones of a maximum age. With some insurers this is as little as three months, but others will cover iPhones you’ve owned for up to 36 months.
You won’t be covered for damage sustained before the cover began.
On top of that, here are some scenarios where you’re unlikely to be covered by mobile phone insurance:
- Claims made as a result of extreme carelessness. Insurers will list examples of careless scenarios, in which a claim will not be paid.
- Deliberate damage. You won’t be covered for intentional damage caused by yourself or an immediate family member.
- Claims where the gadget was left unattended. This will always be treated as an example of extreme carelessness.
- Claims without a proof of purchase. You’ll need to provide a receipt, proving you owned the smartphone.
- Loss or theft claims without a crime report. You’ll need to provide a crime reference number with your claim.
Do I need iPhone insurance?
A flaw of iPhones is that they are so expensive to repair, even for minor fixes. If you use a non Apple-approved repairer, you’ll void any warranty you have with it. They cost even more to replace.
Many iPhone owners opt to pay a small monthly premium for an insurer to cover these costs instead. If you’re worried about the cost of repairs or replacement, iPhone insurance could be right for you.
However, you should check that your device isn’t already covered by another insurance policy you have, such as contents insurance, so you’re not doubling up.
iPhone insurance vs AppleCare
AppleCare is the warranty offered automatically for free by Apple on new devices. It covers the cost of repairing mechanical defects for the first year of owning your iPhone.
You can choose to invest in AppleCare+, which adds an extra year to your warranty, plus you’ll get priority telephone support and you’ll be covered for two incidents of accidental damage. It doesn’t cover loss or theft. It costs £149 for two years, which is cheaper than the typical cost of repairing the most expensive iPhones (as you’ll see below).
The cost of repairs for iPhones out of warranty
|Model||Screen repair and replacement||Battery and power repair|
|iPhone 11 Pro Max||£326.44||£69|
|iPhone 11 Pro||£282.44||£69|
|iPhone XS Max||£326.44||£69|
|iPhone 8 Plus||£166.44||£49|
|iPhone 7 Plus||£166.44||£49|
How to find the best iPhone insurance policy
In order to find the best iPhone insurance policy, there are a few steps you can take:
- Choose your level of cover. Most policies include liquid, damage and theft as standard but you should look into optional add ons such as worldwide cover and higher cover limits.
- Weigh up cost vs price of the phone. As part of your consideration, you should weigh up the cost of insurance vs the likelihood of making a claim. There are also excess levels to consider in the overall cost should you have to make a claim.
- Look at a multi-gadget policy. Some providers offer multi-gadget discounts which can help if you are insuring a number of different gadgets.
- Check if you’re already covered.There are banks in the UK that cover iPhones and other gadgets as standard when you open an account. You can also check with your network provider to see if you are covered under their mobile phone insurance plans.
- Compare policies and get a range of quotes. It always pays to shop around and compare providers to find a policy that gives you your desired level of cover.
How much does iPhone insurance cost?
The cost of iPhone insurance in the UK depends on a few factors.
- Level of excess. Your excess can determine how much you pay for your iPhone insurance. Some gadget insurance providers cap their excess at a flat rate and some charge more for a lower excess.
- Brand and model. In general, if your iPhone is top of the range and has high market value, it will usually cost more to insure than an older model. For example, it would cost much more to insure an iPhone 12 Pro compared to an iPhone 8.
- Level of cover. Depending on which level of cover is right for you, you can expect to pay more for a higher cover limit.
- Monthly or annual payments. If you pay monthly, you usually incur interest on your monthly payments and will end up paying more in the long run.
How do I claim on my iPhone insurance policy?
The claims process differs depending on your choice of insurer. Some insurers let you make online claims. Otherwise you’ll need to make a phone call.
However, there are certain steps you’ll need to take regardless of what insurer you choose.
You’ll need to provide details of your device and the incident that led to the claim.
With claims for loss or theft, you’ll need to notify the police and your network provider before making a claim. With claims for defects or damage, you’ll have to send your device to an Apple-approved repairer.
Following that process, your insurer will inform you of its decision to repair or replace it.
The bottom line
If you are not prepared for the financial sting of repairing or replacing your iPhone, you’ll need to insure it. iPhone insurance provides more comprehensive cover than AppleCare, giving you more peace of mind as you use your phone.
If you want to browse cover options, you can compare deals from our panel of iPhone insurance providers.
Frequently asked questions about iPhone insurance
More guides on Finder
Invest in makeup stocks
Want to add highlight to the foundations of your investment portfolio with makeup stocks? Find out how to invest in makeup and the risks.
Business gadget insurance
Find business gadget insurance to cover all your expensive items such as mobile phones and laptops.
Gadget insurance abroad
Find out whether you need gadget insurance for travel and what’s included in the cover, plus tips to keep your devices safe while travelling.
Compare international money transfers
Learn how to compare international money transfer services so you can get the best exchange rates and lowest fees.
Modified motorcycle insurance
Find out what type of insurance you need if you’ve made additions or alterations to your motorbike.
Compare the best business credit cards of 2021
Saving time on expense reports and streamlining your cash flow are just a couple of the many perks you could enjoy with a business credit card. Compare interest rates and check your eligibility today.
Best business banking apps for small business owners
Discover our list of the best business banking apps and how to find the best app for you.
Learner motorbike insurance
Find out what motorcycle insurance for learner riders includes, what affects the cost of premiums and how you can save money.
Courier van insurance
Find out what van insurance for courier drivers includes, who it’s for and how to save on your policy.
Peugeot 108 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Peugeot 108 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Ask an Expert