Bridgewater equity release review
In this guide, we'll review the pros and cons of Bridgewater equity release home reversion products.
Below, we review the most important aspects of its home reversion products.
What equity release products are on offer?
This provider offers three home reversion equity release products. With each of them, you can sell between 25-100% of your property for a cash lump sum.
The following products are on offer:
- Home Reversion Plan.
- Home Reversion with Fixed Rent. Here, you’ll pay monthly rent at a fixed rate (minimum £200 per month).
- Home Reversion with Escalating Rent. Here, you’ll pay monthly rent (minimum £200 per month), which increases by 2.5% per annum.
How does it work?
The amount you receive will be based on the product you select, your age and the value of your property. You’ll need to pass an affordability check if you choose to pay rent. This will be significantly less than the market value of the property share surrendered.
As a general rule, the more rent you pay, the larger lump sum you can expect to be offered.
You’ll be given a Lifetime Lease, allowing you to live in the property for as long as you wish, provided you obey the terms and conditions of the policy.
Here are the optional features you can add:
- Rent cease. You can choose to stop paying rent at age 80, 85 or 90 if you prefer. If you’re joint applicants, these deadlines will coincide with the birthday of the youngest applicant.
- Rent reduction. If you’re joint applicants, you can choose for your rent payments to half when one of you dies (although the minimum payment of £200 per month will still apply.)
- Early vacancy guarantee. When you activate this option, you’ll receive a payment if your property is vacated within five years of buying the product. The payment will equal 80% of the original property valuation minus your initial lump-sum payment.
Is Bridgewater equity release safe?
A home reversion plan is safe in the sense that you’re guaranteed to remain in your home provided you meet your rent payments.
With any of these products, you’ll be well aware of what these rent payments will be, plus you have the option to cease them at a later date or reduce them if a co-owner of the property dies.
The sacrifice you make is that you’ll be selling a portion of your home for well under its market value.
You’ll have to invest in a financial adviser before being approved to buy an equity release product.
- Minimum age of 60.
- Maximum age of 90.
- Minimum property value of £100,000.
- Available for properties located in England only (excluding Channel Islands and Isle of Man).
How to apply
You can begin your application by calling the lender on 0800 032 2118 or emailing email@example.com.
Pros and cons
- You’ll remain in your home for as long as you wish
- You’ll still benefit from increases in the value of your property
- These products are not a loan, so there is no interest to pay
- You’ll sell a portion of your home for well under its market value
- You’ll no longer own 100% of your home
- Rent payments will only cease or reduce in specific scenarios
Home reversion products aren’t as flexible as certain lifetime mortgages.
However, if you’ve decided a home reversion is for you, Bridgewater Equity Release is as good as any other provider offering these products.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Mortgages for students: Buy-for-uni
Discover how you can use buy-for-university mortgages to buy property as a student.
The Help To Buy mortgage scheme
Discover how the Help To Buy government scheme can make it more affordable to buy a new-build property in the UK.
Enhanced lifetime mortgages
If you’re in poor health, an enhanced lifetime mortgage can help you unlock more of the equity in your home.
Lump sum equity release
Unlock the equity in your home upfront with a lump sum lifetime mortgage.
Everything you need to know if you’re considering taking out a refurbishment loan to renovate an investment property, whether it’s for buy-to-let or to add value.
Differences between open and closed bridging loans
In-depth guide to closed and open bridging loans, including what they are useful for, the differences in cost and the application process, and the pros and cons of each.
Interest only lifetime mortgages
If you want to unlock the equity in your home but keep your interest costs down, an interest-only lifetime mortgage could be for you.
Best mortgage lenders 2021 UK: Find the best bank for a mortgage
Discover the best bank for a mortgage in the UK using real customer reviews from our customer satisfaction survey.
Can you run a business from home?
Looking to set up your own business but not quite ready to get a proper office? You can definitely run your company from home, once you’ve taken care of a few details.
Taxi breakdown cover
Read our guide to breakdown cover for taxis and private hire vehicles to see what’s included and how much it might cost.