Dachshund pet insurance
Find out everything you need to know about dachshund insurance in the UK and how to best care for your little sausage dog.
Average dachshund pet insurance cost
We ran a number of quotes through our partners Confused.com, to give you an indication of costs. Our results estimated that, on average, you could insure your Dachshund with a lifetime insurance policy for £43 a month, or an annual payment of £515. To run these quotes, we used the following pet information:
- Bought for £400
- No pre-existing conditions
- Vaccinations up to date
- Non aggressive
The cheapest quote we found was the Super policy from Animal Friends, which came in at £11.76 per month, or £141.12 annually. The most expensive was Asda Money with their Lifetime 10,000 policy – £89.85 per month, or £1076.99 annually.
Remember that cheapest doesn’t mean best and you might miss out on important cover if you simply go for the cheapest option. Make sure to shop around and compare policies to find the one that works best for your short legged darling.
What type of insurance is best for a dachshund?
There are four main types of pet insurance policies you should be familiar with.
- Accident insurance. An accident only policy will only pay out for injury following an accident, not in the event of a long-term medical issue, such as an illness or chronic condition.
- Time-Limited insurance. A time limited policy will pay out for a specific condition for a predetermined period of time, usually a year, after which treatment for that condition will no longer be covered.
- Maximum benefit insurance. A maximum benefit policy will pay out for a particular health issue up to a specified amount, at which point the policy will no longer contribute any further funding for that condition.
- Lifetime insurance. The most comprehensive and expensive variety of pet insurance, lifetime insurance covers your dachshund for both accident and illness, with an insurance contribution up to a specified amount renewed each year for as long as the policy is kept.
Common health problems for dachshunds
Before deciding on an insurance policy, it is essential to be aware of the common illnesses associated with your dog’s breed. For your dachshund, there are a number of ailments that might affect your dog as it ages. It’s a good idea to take these health conditions into consideration when selecting your insurance policy.
- Intervertebral disc disease
- Keratoconjunctivitis sicca (Dry-eye)
- Heart disease
- Progressive retinal atrophy
- Luxating patellas
Average treatments cost for dachshunds
It’s also useful to be aware of the average cost of treatment for common illnesses associated with dachshunds. This information will help you in deciding which type of pet insurance policy to take out, as well as ensure that your policy limit is the right one for your dachshund’s health requirements.
Below is a list of the average treatment costs for common dachshund illnesses:
|Health Problem||Average treatment cost|
|Intervertebral disc disease||£650|
|Keratoconjunctivitis sicca (Dry-eye)||£350|
|Progressive retinal atrophy||£350|
Fun facts about dachshunds
- Dachshunds were bred in Germany to hunt badgers; their name translates to ‘badger hound’.
- Originally, all dachshunds were either black or tan, but today you can find as many as 12 different dachshund colours.
- Many people believe that hot dogs were named after the dachshund, with them being originally known as dachshund sausages.
- Britain’s first cloned dog was a 12-year-old dachshund named Winnie.
While you might adore the short legs and long body of your sausage dog, dachshunds can suffer from health problems as a result of their shape. Being aware of the most common ailments your pet might develop will help you decide on the most appropriate insurance policy.
Dog insurance doesn’t need to leave a sting in your tail as long as you remember to shop around and compare deals. Take a look at our pet insurance provider reviews and our guides on other dog breeds.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Car insurance and mileage
Find out why the number of miles you drive impacts the cost of your car insurance premiums.
Car insurance for 17-year-olds
Find out the average cost of car insurance for a 17-year-old, the cheapest cars to insure and how to cut down your insurance premium as a young driver.
The winners of the inaugural Finder Insurance Innovation Awards announced
The 11 winners and highly commended companies in the inaugural Finder.com Insurance Innovation Awards have been announced today.
Insurance Innovation Awards 2021
These awards identify the most innovative providers across the areas of business, car, health, home, life and pet insurance.
Business gadget insurance
Find business gadget insurance to cover all your expensive items such as mobile phones and laptops.
Gadget insurance abroad
Find out whether you need gadget insurance for travel and what’s included in the cover, plus tips to keep your devices safe while travelling.
Modified motorcycle insurance
Find out what type of insurance you need if you’ve made additions or alterations to your motorbike.
Courier van insurance
Find out what van insurance for courier drivers includes, who it’s for and how to save on your policy.
MG3 insurance group
Find out how much it could cost to insure the MG3 based on your age and location.
Vauxhall Viva insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Vauxhall Viva falls under and how much it could cost to insure.
Ask an Expert