The nuba credit card range consists of two cards: one designed to tap into the highly competitive market for balance transfers from other credit cards, and the other intended as an “all-rounder”.
Must read: Nuba Credit Cards discontinued
As of December 2018, Nuba credit cards have been discontinued and are no longer available. However, this information has been kept for historical purposes.
The nuba credit card brand is owned by American bank MBNA, which was itself acquired by Lloyds Banking Group in 2017. Its stated aim is to ‘Provide straightforward credit at competitive rates’. It also places a strong emphasis on technology, notably the ability to link payments to and from the card to a smartphone or other connected device.
The types of card in nuba’s range
0% balance transfer card.
Specifically-aimed at customers looking for a lengthy 0% interest deal on balances transferred from other credit cards (although not from other cards issued by MBNA), this card offers nuba’s longest 0% period. Expect to pay a transfer fee in order to benefit from this (usually a percentage of the balance).
Learn more about 0% balance transfer cards
All-round low-rate card.
This is designed to be useful for a number of purposes, whether you want to spread the cost of forthcoming purchases, transfer an outstanding balance from another card, or transfer funds across to a bank account.
Learn more about low-rate cards
What benefits can I expect from a nuba credit card?
- Smartphone linking. Your nuba card can be twinned with your smartphone to let you make quicker payments.
- Online account management. Through nuba’s online card services, you can do things such as change your PIN, get your current balance information, check your payment due date, and notify a change of address.
- Additional cardholders. Up to three other people can be nominated to receive a card on your account – but all must be aged over 18, live at your main address, and be a ‘close family member’ (including domestic partner).
Applying for a nuba credit card
It’s straightforward and fast to apply for a nuba credit card online.
To qualify for a nuba credit card, you must:
- Be a UK resident
- Be aged 18 or over
- Have lived at a permanent address in the UK for at least three years
- Have a good credit history
- Not be unemployed or a student
Why might your application not be approved?
If you meet the broad criteria outlined above, but have a history of bad debt, you could be rejected. Also, if you have been made the subject of a CCJ you may not be accepted, and you are unlikely to be given a card if you have ever declared bankruptcy.