Policywise temporary car insurance review
We've checked out the temporary car insurance available through Policywise. The broker can arrange cover for just 1 hour up to 28 days, with cover starting immediately.
The temporary car insurance offered through Policywise comes comprehensive as standard and won’t affect a no claims bonus. What’s more, the policies can be tailored to what you need, and can cover students and learner drivers. Our analysis will help you decide whether this cover will work for you.
Who is Policywise?
Policywise is an insurance broker that sources specialist car insurance policies to a wide variety of drivers and their standard and non-standard cars. As well as both annual and temporary car insurance policies, it also arranges business, travel, pet, gadget and home insurance.
Policywise Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
Policywise Ltd also trades as Girls Drive Better, catering specifically for women.
Policywise’s policy features
- Instant cover. Get instant cover from the moment you purchase.
- Unaffected annual no-claims discount. A claim made on a temporary policy won’t affect any annual no-claims discount built up.
- Flexible insurance. You can choose cover from just one hour up to 28 days.
- Comprehensive cover. The highest level of cover comes as standard. If you are responsible for causing an accident, you’ll be protected for damage to other people’s vehicles or property and for your own vehicle against accidental damage and vandalism. You’ll also have protection against any fire damage or theft of your car.
What does Policywise’s temporary cover include?
Here are some of the benefits of Policywise’s temporary car insurance:
- Legal liability
- Accident damage
- Fire and theft damage
- Third party EU cover
- Comprehensive EU cover (optional)
- UK roadside breakdown cover (optional)
- Personal accident cover up to £20,000 (optional)
- Gadget cover (optional)
- Alloys, scratch, dent and tyre cover (optional)
- Excess reimbursement cover (optional)
Beyond the standard cover benefits above, any other benefits to your insurance policy will vary depending on the insurer that is able to provide the cover.
Check your policy details carefully to ensure you have the right cover for your needs.
Can anyone take out Policywise’s temporary car insurance?
Unfortunately not. To get short-term car cover, both you and the car must meet Policywise’s eligibility criteria:
- Be aged 17 -78
- Have held either a current and full UK driver’s licence for a minimum of six months (European Union driver’s licence for at least 12 months) or a provisional driving licence
- Have been resident in the UK for 12 months or more
- Have no more than 7 points on your driver’s licence in the last 3 years
- Have no more than two fault claims in the last three years
- Have no criminal convictions
The car must:
- Be registered in Great Britain, Northern Ireland or the Isle of Man
- Have a market value of less than £65,000
- Have no more than eight seats including the driver’s seat
- Be right-hand drive
- Not be modified (except for modifications designed to aid disabled drivers)
- Not be used to carry goods or passengers for hire or reward
What is my excess?
Your insurance excess is the amount of money you have agreed to pay towards a claim. Your insurer won’t pay out for a claim that costs less than your excess. A compulsory excess amount might vary depending on the age of your motorbike and your riding experience.
A voluntary excess is on top and is normally set by you when taking out a policy. You’ll have the option of adding or increasing a voluntary excess – which should lower your premium.
You’ll find details about any compulsory or voluntary excesses in your policy document.
What is the claims process for Policywise’s temporary car insurance?
As Policywise acts as introducer to Tempcover Ltd for its temporary car insurance, you will need to refer to your actual policy document to verify who your insurer is and then find the insurer’s respective claims line details.
Keep your policy details, personal contact details and information relating to the incident to hand when making your claim.
It’s vital that you let your insurer know about an incident as soon as possible, even if it’s not your fault. Failure to do this could result in a rejected claim later on.
Pros and cons for Policywise
- Making a claim won’t affect a no claims discount built up on an annual policy
- Comprehensive cover as standard
- The cover can begin instantly
- Cover can be enhanced with extra protection
- You can only pay upfront
- Limited third party EU cover as standard
- No changes to the policy allowed
- Cover for a maximum of 28 days only
Frequently asked questions
Read more on this topic
InsureLearnerDriver discount codes You can save on expensive car insurance using our InsureLearnerDriver discount codes and vouchers.
Voided and cancelled car insurance Read our guide to understand why honesty is always the best policy to avoid your car insurance being voided or cancelled.
How car modifications affect insurance Before you pimp your ride, find out which modifications are likely to increase your insurance premiums and which ones will see your car cover fall.
Tax free cars Thinking about buying a new car? Read our guide first as you may find a way to avoid paying road tax altogether and save on your car insurance.
Specialist car insurance Read our guide to discover all the different types of specialist car insurance and find out if you can save on your car cover.
By Miles car insurance review By Miles offers pay-as-you-go car insurance for those who only drive occasionally.
Why is car insurance so expensive? Find out how to cut the cost of your car insurance without cutting any cover.
Instant car insurance See how you can get immediate cover and compare instant car insurance quotes now.
Cheap car insurance for new drivers over 30 See how car insurance works if you're over 30, and ways you can save as a new driver.
Low deposit car insurance Low deposit car insurance can help lower the upfront cost of your policy, but there are other ways to save money.