Academy Insurance temporary car insurance review
We've checked out the temporary car insurance offered through Academy Insurance. You can get instant cover lasting 1 hour up to 28 days, and it caters to students and learner drivers.
The temporary car insurance offered through Academy Insurance is comprehensive as standard and won’t affect a no claims bonus. What’s more, the policies can be tailored to suit what you need, so you don’t pay for features you won’t use.
What's in this guide?
- Who is Academy Insurance?
- Academy Insurance's policy features
- What does Academy Insurance's temporary cover include?
- Compare temporary car insurance providers
- Can anyone take out Academy Insurance's temporary car insurance?
- What is my excess?
- What is the claims process for Academy Insurance's temporary car insurance?
- Pros and cons for Academy Insurance
- Frequently asked questions
Who is Academy Insurance?
Academy Insurance Services began in 1995 and offers car, home, boat, motorbike, business and pet insurance. The name is a trading name of Insurance Factory Ltd, part of the Markerstudy Group.
To offer temporary car cover, Academy Insurance has partnered with Tempcover Ltd, which also offers temporary motorbike, van and home insurance, amongst others.
Academy Insurance’s policy features
- Flexible insurance. You can choose cover from just 1 hour up to 28 days.
- Comprehensive cover. The highest level of cover comes as standard. If you are responsible for causing an accident, you’ll be protected for damage to other people’s vehicles or property and for your own vehicle against accidental damage and vandalism. You’ll also have protection against any fire damage or theft of your car.
- Unaffected annual no claims discount. A claim made on a temporary policy won’t affect any annual no claims discount built up.
- Instant cover. Get instant cover from the moment you purchase.
What does Academy Insurance’s temporary cover include?
Here are some of the benefits of Academy Insurance’s temporary car insurance:
- Accidental damage
- Fire and theft damage
- Third party EU cover
- Legal liability
- Comprehensive EU cover (optional)
- UK roadside breakdown cover (optional)
- Gadget cover (optional)
- Personal accident cover up to £20,000 (optional)
- Alloys, scratch, dent and tyre cover (optional)
- Excess reimbursement cover (optional)
Beyond the cover benefits above, any other benefits to your insurance policy will vary depending on the insurer that is able to provide the cover.
Check your policy details carefully to ensure you have the right cover for your needs.
Can anyone take out Academy Insurance’s temporary car insurance?
Unfortunately not. To get short-term car cover, both you and the car must meet Academy Insurance’s eligibility criteria:
- Be aged 18 -78
- Have held either a current and full UK driver’s licence for a minimum of six months (European Union driver’s licence for at least 12 months) or a provisional driving licence
- Have been resident in the UK for 12 months or more
- Have no more than 7 points on your driver’s licence in the last 3 years
- Have no more than two fault claims in the last three years
- Have no criminal convictions
The car must:
- Be registered in Great Britain, Northern Ireland or the Isle of Man
- Have a market value of less than £65,000
- Have no more than eight seats including the driver’s seat
- Be right-hand drive
- Not be modified (except for modifications designed to aid disabled drivers)
- Not be used to carry goods or passengers for hire or reward
What is my excess?
Your insurance excess is the amount of money you have agreed to pay towards a claim. Your insurer won’t pay out for a claim that costs less than your excess. A compulsory excess amount might vary depending on the age of your motorbike and your riding experience.
A voluntary excess is on top and is normally set by you when taking out a policy. You’ll have the option of adding or increasing a voluntary excess – which should lower your premium.
You’ll find details about any compulsory or voluntary excesses in your policy document.
What is the claims process for Academy Insurance’s temporary car insurance?
As Academy Insurance acts as introducer to Tempcover Ltd for its temporary car insurance, you will need to refer to your actual policy document to verify who your insurer is and then find the insurer’s respective claims line details.
Keep your policy details, personal contact details and information relating to the incident to hand when making your claim.
It’s vital that you let your insurer know about an incident as soon as possible, even if it’s not your fault. Failure to do this could result in a rejected claim later on.
Pros and cons for Academy Insurance
- Making a claim won’t affect a no claims discount built up on an annual policy
- Comprehensive cover as standard
- The cover can begin instantly
- Cover can be enhanced with extra protection
- Can only pay upfront
- Limited third party EU cover as standard
- Cover for a maximum of 28 days only
- No changes to the policy allowed
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Business gadget insurance
Find business gadget insurance to cover all your expensive items such as mobile phones and laptops.
Gadget insurance abroad
Find out whether you need gadget insurance for travel and what’s included in the cover, plus tips to keep your devices safe while travelling.
Modified motorcycle insurance
Find out what type of insurance you need if you’ve made additions or alterations to your motorbike.
Learner motorbike insurance
Find out what motorcycle insurance for learner riders includes, what affects the cost of premiums and how you can save money.
Courier van insurance
Find out what van insurance for courier drivers includes, who it’s for and how to save on your policy.
Peugeot 108 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Peugeot 108 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Multi bike insurance
Consider your options with multi motorcycle insurance and learn about ways to save on your insurance premiums.
Lexus IS200 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Lexus IS200 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Lexus CT200 insurance group
Find out how much it could cost to insure the Lexus CT200 based on your age and location.
MG ZR insurance group
Find out which insurance group the MG ZR falls under and how much it costs to insure.