Academy Insurance temporary car insurance review
We've checked out the temporary car insurance offered through Academy Insurance. You can get instant cover lasting 1 hour up to 28 days, and it caters to students and learner drivers.
The temporary car insurance offered through Academy Insurance is comprehensive as standard and won’t affect a no claims bonus. What’s more, the policies can be tailored to suit what you need, so you don’t pay for features you won’t use.
Who is Academy Insurance?
Academy Insurance Services began in 1995 and offers car, home, boat, motorbike, business and pet insurance. The name is a trading name of Insurance Factory Ltd, part of the Markerstudy Group.
To offer temporary car cover, Academy Insurance has partnered with Tempcover Ltd, which also offers temporary motorbike, van and home insurance, amongst others.
Academy Insurance’s policy features
- Flexible insurance. You can choose cover from just 1 hour up to 28 days.
- Comprehensive cover. The highest level of cover comes as standard. If you are responsible for causing an accident, you’ll be protected for damage to other people’s vehicles or property and for your own vehicle against accidental damage and vandalism. You’ll also have protection against any fire damage or theft of your car.
- Unaffected annual no claims discount. A claim made on a temporary policy won’t affect any annual no claims discount built up.
- Instant cover. Get instant cover from the moment you purchase.
What does Academy Insurance’s temporary cover include?
Here are some of the benefits of Academy Insurance’s temporary car insurance:
- Accidental damage
- Fire and theft damage
- Third party EU cover
- Legal liability
- Comprehensive EU cover (optional)
- UK roadside breakdown cover (optional)
- Gadget cover (optional)
- Personal accident cover up to £20,000 (optional)
- Alloys, scratch, dent and tyre cover (optional)
- Excess reimbursement cover (optional)
Beyond the cover benefits above, any other benefits to your insurance policy will vary depending on the insurer that is able to provide the cover.
Check your policy details carefully to ensure you have the right cover for your needs.
Can anyone take out Academy Insurance’s temporary car insurance?
Unfortunately not. To get short-term car cover, both you and the car must meet Academy Insurance’s eligibility criteria:
- Be aged 18 -78
- Have held either a current and full UK driver’s licence for a minimum of six months (European Union driver’s licence for at least 12 months) or a provisional driving licence
- Have been resident in the UK for 12 months or more
- Have no more than 7 points on your driver’s licence in the last 3 years
- Have no more than two fault claims in the last three years
- Have no criminal convictions
The car must:
- Be registered in Great Britain, Northern Ireland or the Isle of Man
- Have a market value of less than £65,000
- Have no more than eight seats including the driver’s seat
- Be right-hand drive
- Not be modified (except for modifications designed to aid disabled drivers)
- Not be used to carry goods or passengers for hire or reward
What is my excess?
Your insurance excess is the amount of money you have agreed to pay towards a claim. Your insurer won’t pay out for a claim that costs less than your excess. A compulsory excess amount might vary depending on the age of your motorbike and your riding experience.
A voluntary excess is on top and is normally set by you when taking out a policy. You’ll have the option of adding or increasing a voluntary excess – which should lower your premium.
You’ll find details about any compulsory or voluntary excesses in your policy document.
What is the claims process for Academy Insurance’s temporary car insurance?
As Academy Insurance acts as introducer to Tempcover Ltd for its temporary car insurance, you will need to refer to your actual policy document to verify who your insurer is and then find the insurer’s respective claims line details.
Keep your policy details, personal contact details and information relating to the incident to hand when making your claim.
It’s vital that you let your insurer know about an incident as soon as possible, even if it’s not your fault. Failure to do this could result in a rejected claim later on.
Pros and cons for Academy Insurance
- Making a claim won’t affect a no claims discount built up on an annual policy
- Comprehensive cover as standard
- The cover can begin instantly
- Cover can be enhanced with extra protection
- Can only pay upfront
- Limited third party EU cover as standard
- Cover for a maximum of 28 days only
- No changes to the policy allowed
Frequently asked questions
Read more on this topic
John Lewis Finance car insurance review Find out the key details about John Lewis Finance car insurance in our review and compare quotes to get the right deal for you and your car.
InsureLearnerDriver discount codes You can save on expensive car insurance using our InsureLearnerDriver discount codes and vouchers.
Voided and cancelled car insurance Read our guide to understand why honesty is always the best policy to avoid your car insurance being voided or cancelled.
How car modifications affect insurance Before you pimp your ride, find out which modifications are likely to increase your insurance premiums and which ones will see your car cover fall.
Tax free cars Thinking about buying a new car? Read our guide first as you may find a way to avoid paying road tax altogether and save on your car insurance.
Specialist car insurance Read our guide to discover all the different types of specialist car insurance and find out if you can save on your car cover.
By Miles car insurance review By Miles offers pay-as-you-go car insurance for those who only drive occasionally.
Why is car insurance so expensive? Find out how to cut the cost of your car insurance without cutting any cover.
Instant car insurance See how you can get immediate cover and compare instant car insurance quotes now.
Cheap car insurance for new drivers over 30 See how car insurance works if you're over 30, and ways you can save as a new driver.