Academy Insurance temporary car insurance review
We've checked out the temporary car insurance offered through Academy Insurance. You can get instant cover lasting 1 hour up to 28 days, and it caters to students and learner drivers.
The temporary car insurance offered through Academy Insurance is comprehensive as standard and won’t affect a no claims bonus. What’s more, the policies can be tailored to suit what you need, so you don’t pay for features you won’t use.
Compare temporary car insurance providers
Who is Academy Insurance?
Academy Insurance Services began in 1995 and offers car, home, boat, motorbike, business and pet insurance. The name is a trading name of Insurance Factory Ltd, part of the Markerstudy Group.
To offer temporary car cover, Academy Insurance has partnered with Tempcover Ltd, which also offers temporary motorbike, van and home insurance, amongst others.
Academy Insurance’s policy features
- Flexible insurance. You can choose cover from just 1 hour up to 28 days.
- Comprehensive cover. The highest level of cover comes as standard. If you are responsible for causing an accident, you’ll be protected for damage to other people’s vehicles or property and for your own vehicle against accidental damage and vandalism. You’ll also have protection against any fire damage or theft of your car.
- Unaffected annual no claims discount. A claim made on a temporary policy won’t affect any annual no claims discount built up.
- Instant cover. Get instant cover from the moment you purchase.
What does Academy Insurance’s temporary cover include?
Here are some of the benefits of Academy Insurance’s temporary car insurance:
- Accidental damage
- Fire and theft damage
- Third party EU cover
- Legal liability
- Comprehensive EU cover (optional)
- UK roadside breakdown cover (optional)
- Gadget cover (optional)
- Personal accident cover up to £20,000 (optional)
- Alloys, scratch, dent and tyre cover (optional)
- Excess reimbursement cover (optional)
Beyond the cover benefits above, any other benefits to your insurance policy will vary depending on the insurer that is able to provide the cover.
Check your policy details carefully to ensure you have the right cover for your needs.
Can anyone take out Academy Insurance’s temporary car insurance?
Unfortunately not. To get short-term car cover, both you and the car must meet Academy Insurance’s eligibility criteria:
- Be aged 18 -78
- Have held either a current and full UK driver’s licence for a minimum of six months (European Union driver’s licence for at least 12 months) or a provisional driving licence
- Have been resident in the UK for 12 months or more
- Have no more than 7 points on your driver’s licence in the last 3 years
- Have no more than two fault claims in the last three years
- Have no criminal convictions
The car must:
- Be registered in Great Britain, Northern Ireland or the Isle of Man
- Have a market value of less than £65,000
- Have no more than eight seats including the driver’s seat
- Be right-hand drive
- Not be modified (except for modifications designed to aid disabled drivers)
- Not be used to carry goods or passengers for hire or reward
What is my excess?
Your insurance excess is the amount of money you have agreed to pay towards a claim. Your insurer won’t pay out for a claim that costs less than your excess. A compulsory excess amount might vary depending on the age of your motorbike and your riding experience.
A voluntary excess is on top and is normally set by you when taking out a policy. You’ll have the option of adding or increasing a voluntary excess – which should lower your premium.
You’ll find details about any compulsory or voluntary excesses in your policy document.
What is the claims process for Academy Insurance’s temporary car insurance?
As Academy Insurance acts as introducer to Tempcover Ltd for its temporary car insurance, you will need to refer to your actual policy document to verify who your insurer is and then find the insurer’s respective claims line details.
Keep your policy details, personal contact details and information relating to the incident to hand when making your claim.
It’s vital that you let your insurer know about an incident as soon as possible, even if it’s not your fault. Failure to do this could result in a rejected claim later on.
Pros and cons for Academy Insurance
- Making a claim won’t affect a no claims discount built up on an annual policy
- Comprehensive cover as standard
- The cover can begin instantly
- Cover can be enhanced with extra protection
- Can only pay upfront
- Limited third party EU cover as standard
- Cover for a maximum of 28 days only
- No changes to the policy allowed
Frequently asked questions
Read more on this topic
Motor trade insurance Motor trade insurance can be used by a variety of different companies - find out if it's right for your business and what cover is included.
Car insurance group 3 Cars in insurance group 3 are at the cheaper end of the scale when it comes to average car insurance premiums.
Car insurance group 2 With car insurance groups ranging from 1 to 50, insurance group 2 is one of the lowest group numbers with premiums often falling on the cheaper side for cars in this group.
Car insurance group 5 Cars in insurance group five are often cheaper to insure as they generally have good safety and security features, a lower market value and a less powerful engine than higher insurance group models.
List of cars in insurance group 1 Insurance group 1 is the lowest car insurance group rating which usually means a cheaper rate when it comes to your premium.
Electric scooter insurance E-scooters have been classed as motor vehicles in the UK. Find out what that means for you and whether you require insurance to drive one on public roads.
Marshmallow car insurance review Compare Marshmallow comprehensive car insurance against traditional rivals. This insurtech startup offers a tech-driven policy, great for foreign drivers living in the UK.
Car insurance for women Do women pay less for car insurance? How can you get the best quote for cover? We explain it here.
Does credit score affect car insurance? Your credit score can affect what you pay for your car insurance. Here's why and what you can do about it.
Kia Rio insurance group and costs Find out the insurance group for your Kia Rio, how much it should cost to insure and how to save on your premiums.