Find out what’s included in the car insurance offered through Swiftcover, in our review of its policies.
Swiftcover offers comprehensive car insurance policies that come with an uninsured driver promise in case you’re hit by an uninsured driver. A courtesy car and a lifetime guarantee on repairs are also included as standard with every comprehensive policy. What’s more, free changes can be made online. Here’s what else we think you should know about Swiftcover.
Compare cheap car insurance quotes & save over £200*
Who is Swiftcover?
Swiftcover was set up in 2005 to offer online car insurance and was the first insurance company to allow customers to print their own insurance certificate at home. Axa acquired Swiftcover two years later in 2007.
Alongside car cover, Swiftcover now also offers van and home insurance.
What are Swiftcover’s levels of cover?
Drivers in the UK are legally required to have at least third party cover but Swiftcover does not offer this minimum level of cover. It does offer two other cover levels, and these are:
If you’ve caused an accident, you’ll be covered for damage to third party vehicles or property. It will also offer protection against any fire damage to your car or theft of your car.
This is the highest level of cover available. It offers the same protection as the other cover levels but you’ll also be insured against accidental damage and any vandalism to your car. It can occasionally be cheaper than third party, or TPFT, so it’s always worth checking.
What is covered under my policy?
|Cover benefits||Third party||Third party, fire and theft||Comprehensive|
|Liability to other people and property||✓||✓||✓|
|Fire and theft||✓||✓|
|Personal accident cover||✓|
|Personal belongings cover up to £300||✓|
Check your policy details carefully to ensure you have the right cover for your needs.
Swiftcover can also provide additional protection to bolt onto your policy, including:
- Breakdown cover
- Legal expenses cover
- Courtesy car upgrade
- Excess protection
- Personal injury and rehabilitation cover
What policy exclusions are there?
Your cover through Swiftcover is likely to become invalid if any of the following arises:
- You do not provide the correct documents to support your application.
- You fail to pay for your premium.
- You change your car during the policy term to a car that the insurer cannot cover.
- Your car is being driven by an unnamed driver on your policy or by a person that does not have a valid driving licence.
- Your car is used for rallies, races or competitions.
- You are paid to carry passengers.
Check your policy for further details to confirm your cover is valid at all times.
How do I make a claim?
You should call the 24/7 claims line on 0371 984 3333.
You’ll need to provide your details and all the facts about the incident. You will also need to provide any photographic evidence you have.
Swiftcover recommends you have the following details to hand when you make your claim:
- Personal details such as your main telephone number, email address, home address, and car registration and insurance policy numbers.
- All details about the incident such as date, time and location.
- Names and contact details for everyone involved such as third parties, witnesses and passengers.
- Details of any injuries sustained by anyone involved in the incident.
And it’s important that you let your insurer know about an incident as soon as possible, even if it’s not your fault. Failure to do this could result in a rejected claim.
What is my excess?
Your insurance excess is the amount of money you have agreed to pay towards a claim. Your insurer won’t pay out for a claim that costs less than your excess.
A voluntary excess is normally an amount set by you when taking out a policy. You’ll have the option of adding or increasing a voluntary excess, which could in turn reduce your premium.
A compulsory excess amount might vary depending on the age of your car and your driving experience.
You’ll find details about any compulsory or voluntary excesses in your policy document.
Swiftcover pros and cons
- Optional extras available to enhance policy.
- 24/7 claims line.
- Informative website detailing car insurance policy features.
- Uninsured driver promise with comprehensive cover.