Insure OK car insurance review
We've analysed the telematics ("black box") car cover on offer through Insure OK. This broker claims to give its high-risk customers a 20% upfront discount and the chance to get further discounts each quarter for driving safely. Here's our analysis.
Insure OK claims to use the telematics car insurance policies it sources to offer its high-risk customers a fairer way to pay for their premium. It says there are three reviews during the policy term where good drivers could earn greater savings. Here’s what else we think you should know about this award-winning broker.
Who is Insure OK?
Insure OK is a specialist broker that sources telematics (“black box”) car insurance for high-risk drivers, including young or convicted drivers or those with a previous record of claims.
Customers get a black box fitted to their car as standard to monitor driving and braking habits, and Insure OK will base premiums on these habits. It’s worth remembering that if your driving style isn’t considered safe, premiums could rise.
Insure OK is a trading name of Fresh Insurance Services Group Ltd, which was set up in 2002.
What are Insure OK’s levels of cover?
Insure OK only offers one level of cover; it doesn’t offer third party or third party, fire and theft cover.
- Comprehensive. If you are responsible for causing an accident, you’ll be protected for damage to third party vehicles or property. You’ll also have protection against any fire damage or theft of your car in addition to accidental damage and vandalism to it.
What is covered under my Insure OK policy?
|Liability to other people||✓|
|Fire and theft||✓|
Beyond the standard cover benefits above, any other benefits to your insurance policy will vary depending on the insurer that is able to provide the cover through Insure OK.
Check your policy details carefully to ensure you have the right cover for your needs.
Insure OK offers extras that include:
- Legal expenses
- Breakdown cover
- Excess protection
- Key cover
- Replacement vehicle cover
- Legal defence cover
Any cover arranged through Insure OK is likely to become invalid if any of the following arises:
- You are paid to carry passengers.
- You fail to pay for your premium.
- Your car is being driven by an unnamed driver on your policy or by a person that does not have a valid driving licence.
- Your car is used for rallies, races or competitions.
- You change your car during the policy term to a car that the insurer cannot cover.
- You do not provide the correct documents to support your application.
Check your policy for further details to confirm your cover is valid.
How to save on your car insurance policy through Insure OK
- Check comprehensive. Contrary to what you might expect, comprehensive cover can be cheaper than third party (TP) or third party, fire and theft so it’s always worth checking. This is because of the risk profile of many people who get TP.
- Park securely. Cars kept in a garage or on a secure driveway are usually cheaper to insure.
- Reduce mileage. If you start working part-time or your long commute becomes much shorter, letting your insurer know about a reduction in your mileage could result in cheaper insurance.
- Increase the excess. Agreeing to pay a bigger voluntary excess could make your overall premium cheaper. But remember that your insurer won’t pay out for a claim that costs less than your excess. So be careful about making it too high, as it could leave you out of pocket if damage occurs.
- Pick a smaller car. Choosing to drive a small and safe car is likely to lower your premium
- Drive carefully. You driving and braking habits will be monitored closely through the black box fitted to your car so consistent safe driving is likely to lower your premium.
What is my excess?
Your insurance excess is the amount of money you have to pay towards a claim. Your insurer won’t pay out for a claim that costs less than this amount.
A voluntary excess is normally an amount set by you when taking out a policy. You’ll have the option of adding or increasing a voluntary excess, which could in turn reduce your premium.
Meanwhile, a compulsory excess amount might vary depending on the age of your car and your driving experience.
Insure OK will apply an additional compulsory excess to customers aged 25 or under, or to drivers who have held a full driving licence for less than 12 months.
You’ll find details about any compulsory or voluntary excesses in your policy document.
What is the claims process for Insure OK?
Insure OK has a dedicated UK-based claims handler, which can be reached on 0121 776 5176. This 24-hour claims line is open 7 days a week.
You’ll need to have your insurance policy details as well as all facts about the incident to hand.
It’s important that you let your insurer know about an incident as soon as possible, even if it’s not your fault. A delay in reporting an incident or failure to report it could result in a rejected claim later on.
Frequently asked questions
Read more on this topic
Kia Rio insurance group and costs Find out the insurance group for your Kia Rio, how much it should cost to insure and how to save on your premiums.
Skoda Citigo insurance group and cost Find out the insurance group for your Skoda Citigo, how much it should cost to insure and how to save on your premium.
Admiral car insurance review Looking to protect yourself behind the wheel? Compare and review Admiral car insurance and see if it provides cover that suits you.
How we score car insurance How we rate car insurance and find our top picks. Our detailed methodology for policy analysis and customer satisfaction.
Allianz Assistance breakdown cover Compare and review Allianz Assistance breakdown covers and see if it's got the right policy to protect you behind the wheel.
Mazda 2 insurance group and cost Read our comprehensive guide and find out how much it may cost you to insure a Mazda 2 and some top tips on how to save on your car insurance premiums.
Hyundai i10 insurance group and cost Read our comprehensive guide and find out how much it may cost you to insure a Hyundai i10 and how to save on your car insurance premiums.
Kia Picanto insurance group and cost Read our comprehensive guide and find out how much it may cost you to insure a Kia Picanto and how to save on your car insurance premiums.
SEAT Leon insurance group and cost Find out how much it may cost you to insure a SEAT Leon based on your age and location and how to save on your car insurance premiums.
Citroen C3 insurance group and cost Read our comprehensive guide and find out how much it may cost you to insure a Citroen C3 and how to save on your car insurance premiums.