DNA Insurance car insurance review
Here's our analysis of DNA Insurance, a broker that offers specialist car insurance for classic, high-performance or modified cars and cover for convicted drivers.
DNA Insurance claims to offer cheap car insurance with discounts of up to 75% to a range of drivers and specialist cars. And the broker, that also provides taxi and short term insurance says every car cover policy includes legal protection should a dispute arise following an accident. Here’s what else you should know about DNA Insurance.
Who is DNA Insurance?
DNA Insurance is a broker that sources car insurance as well as taxi, van, minibus, travel, home, motor trade and landlord insurance.
DNA Insurance Services Ltd was established in 2003.
What are DNA’s levels of cover?
DNA Insurance’s Third party cover
Third party cover is the minimum level of cover that DNA Insurance offers. To be on UK roads, all drivers are legally required to have at least this level of car insurance. If you are responsible for causing an accident, you’ll be protected for damage to third party vehicles or property. You won’t be protected for any damage to your own car. And don’t assume this is the cheapest option because it offers the least protection. Sometimes, this cover may work out more expensive than comprehensive. Check each cover level to see which offers the best value for you.
DNA Insurance’s Third party, fire and theft cover
You’ll get the same level of cover as third party but this will also provide protection against any fire damage or theft of your car.
DNA Insurance’s Comprehensive cover
This is the greatest level of cover on offer and will provide the same protection as the other levels as well as insuring your vehicle against accidental damage and vandalism. It’s always worth getting a quote for comprehensive cover, as in some cases, it can be cheaper than lower levels of cover due to the risk profile of customers who choose them.
What is covered under my DNA Insurance policy?
The specific benefits to your insurance policy will vary depending on the level of cover you choose and the insurer that can provide it through DNA Insurance.
Check your policy details to ensure you have the right cover for your needs.
DNA Insurance offers policy bolt-ons including:
- Breakdown cover
- Guaranteed vehicle cover
- No-claims bonus protection
- Windscreen cover
- Excess buyback
- Gadget insurance
Any cover arranged through DNA Insurance is likely to become invalid if any of the following arises:
- You fail to pay for your premium.
- Your car is being driven by an unnamed driver on your policy or by a person that does not have a valid driving licence.
- You change your car during the policy term to a car that the insurer cannot cover.
- You do not provide the correct documents to support your application.
Check your policy for further details to confirm your cover is valid.
How to save on your car insurance policy through DNA Insurance
- Check comprehensive. Contrary to what you might expect, comprehensive cover can be cheaper than third party (TP) or third party, fire and theft so it’s always worth checking. This is because of the risk profile of many people who get TP.
- Park securely. Cars kept in a garage or on a secure driveway are usually cheaper to insure.
- Reduce mileage. If you start working part-time or your long commute becomes much shorter, letting your insurer know about a reduction in your mileage could result in cheaper insurance.
- Increase the excess. Agreeing to pay a bigger voluntary excess could make your overall premium cheaper. But remember that your insurer won’t pay out for a claim that costs less than your excess. So be careful about making it too high, as it could leave you out of pocket if damage occurs.
- Pick a smaller car. Choosing to drive a small and safe car is likely to lower your premium
What is my excess?
Your insurance excess is the amount of money you have to pay towards a claim. Your insurer won’t pay out for a claim that costs less than this amount.
A voluntary excess is normally an amount set by you when taking out a policy. You’ll have the option of adding or increasing a voluntary excess, which could in turn reduce your premium.
Meanwhile, a compulsory excess amount might vary depending on the age of your car and your driving experience.
You’ll find details about any compulsory or voluntary excesses in your policy document.
What is the claims process for DNA Insurance?
You should call the DNA Insurance 24-hour claims line on 0800 288 9477 to report a claim. Or you can complete a form on the DNA website to log your claim.
DNA Insurance recommends that you gather the following information:
- Your policy number and contact details
- Details about the incident
- Names and contact details for everyone involved such as third parties, passengers and witnesses
- Photographs, if available
It’s important that you let your insurer know about an incident as soon as possible, even if it’s not your fault. Failure to do this could result in a rejected claim later on.
Frequently asked questions
Read more on this topic
Does credit score affect car insurance? Your credit score can affect what you pay for your car insurance. Here's why and what you can do about it.
Kia Rio insurance group and costs Find out the insurance group for your Kia Rio, how much it should cost to insure and how to save on your premiums.
Skoda Citigo insurance group and cost Find out the insurance group for your Skoda Citigo, how much it should cost to insure and how to save on your premium.
Admiral car insurance review Looking to protect yourself behind the wheel? Compare and review Admiral car insurance and see if it provides cover that suits you.
How we score car insurance How we rate car insurance and find our top picks. Our detailed methodology for policy analysis and customer satisfaction.
Allianz Assistance breakdown cover Compare and review Allianz Assistance breakdown covers and see if it's got the right policy to protect you behind the wheel.
Mazda 2 insurance group and cost Read our comprehensive guide and find out how much it may cost you to insure a Mazda 2 and some top tips on how to save on your car insurance premiums.
Hyundai i10 insurance group and cost Read our comprehensive guide and find out how much it may cost you to insure a Hyundai i10 and how to save on your car insurance premiums.
Kia Picanto insurance group and cost Read our comprehensive guide and find out how much it may cost you to insure a Kia Picanto and how to save on your car insurance premiums.
SEAT Leon insurance group and cost Find out how much it may cost you to insure a SEAT Leon based on your age and location and how to save on your car insurance premiums.