BG Insurance car insurance review
Is your modified car or driving conviction hindering your search for affordable car insurance? Here's our lowdown of the policies offered through BG Insurance.
Are you in need of specialist car cover because of your tricky driving history? We’ve looked into the different policies that BG Insurance provides as well as some of the key benefits. This insurance broker says it can still find the right cover for you, even if you have an imported car or a previous conviction. Here’s what you need to know.
Who is BG Insurance?
BG Insurance is a broker established more than 30 years ago. It provides specialist private and commercial car, motorbike, van and taxi insurance for drivers of all ages in addition to a range of commercial and home insurance.
The car insurance that BG Insurance offers is tailored to a range of drivers such as learner, young or convicted drivers, as well as taxi drivers. It also tailors its car insurance for those with classic, imported or modified cars.
BG Insurance is a trading name of Barry Grainger Ltd.
What are BG Insurance’s levels of cover?
BG Insurance’s Third Party cover
Third party cover is the minimum level of cover that BG Insurance offers. All drivers in the UK are legally obliged to have at least this insurance. If you are responsible for causing an accident, you’ll be covered for damage to third party vehicles or property. It won’t however, cover any damage to your own car.
BG Insurance’s Third Party, Fire and Theft cover
This provides the same level of cover as third party but will also offer protection against any fire damage to your car or theft of your car.
BG Insurance’s Comprehensive cover
This is the highest level of cover available. It gives the same protection as the other levels as well as insuring your vehicle against accidental damage and vandalism. It can be cheaper than third party, or TPFT, so it’s always worth checking.
BG Insurance can provide add-ons to your policy including:
- Breakdown cover
- European breakdown cover
- Excess protection
- Key cover
- Gap cover
- Legal cover
- Guaranteed hire car
- Misfueling cover
What is covered under my policy?
|Cover benefits||Third party||Third party, fire and theft||Comprehensive|
|Liability to other people||✓||✓||✓|
|Fire and theft||–||✓||✓|
Beyond the standard cover benefits above, any other benefits to your insurance policy will vary depending on the insurer that is able to provide the cover through BG Insurance.
Check your policy details carefully to ensure you have the right cover for your needs.
Your cover through BG Insurance is likely to become invalid if any of the following arises:
- Your car is being driven by an unnamed driver on your policy or by a person that does not have a valid driving licence.
- Your car is used for rallies, races or competitions.
- You fail to pay for your premium.
- You change your car during the policy term to a car that the insurer cannot cover.
- You do not provide the correct documents to support your application.
Check your policy for further details to confirm your cover is valid.
How to save on your car insurance policy through BG Insurance
- Check comprehensive. Contrary to what you might expect, comprehensive cover can be cheaper than third party (TP) or third party, fire and theft so it’s always worth checking. This is because of the risk profile of many people who get TP.
- Having a secure location to park your car. Cars kept in a garage or on a secure driveway are usually cheaper to insure.
- Mileage reduction. If you start working part-time or your long commute becomes much shorter, letting your insurer know about a reduction in your mileage could result in cheaper insurance.
- Larger excess. Agreeing to pay a bigger voluntary excess could make your overall premium cheaper. But remember that your insurer won’t pay out for a claim that costs less than your excess. So be careful about making it too high, as it could leave you out of pocket if damage occurs.
- Smaller car. Choosing to drive a small and safe car is likely to lower your premium.
What is my excess?
Your insurance excess is the amount of money you have agreed to pay towards a claim. Your insurer won’t pay out for a claim that costs less than your excess.
A voluntary excess is normally an amount set by you when taking out a policy. You’ll have the option of adding or increasing a voluntary excess, which could in turn reduce your premium.
A compulsory excess amount might vary depending on the age of your car and your driving experience.
You’ll find details about any compulsory or voluntary excesses in your policy document.
What is the claims process for BG Insurance?
Call the BG Insurance claims line on 01892 507 555. This is a 24-hour claims notification line open 7 days a week.
BG Insurance recommends you have the following information to hand in order to make a claim:
- Personal details such as your main telephone number, email address, home address, and car registration and insurance policy numbers
- All details about the incident
- Names and contact details for everyone involved such as third parties, witnesses and passengers
And it’s vital that you let your insurer know about an incident within 24 hours, even if it’s not your fault. Failure to do this could result in a rejected claim.
Frequently asked questions
Read more on this topic
Suzuki Jimny insurance group and cost
Find out how much it might cost to insure a Suzuki Jimny based on the specific model version, the driver’s age and their location.
Temporary car insurance for non-UK residents
Find out how you can get temporary car insurance as a non-UK resident and your cover options available.
Temporary business car insurance
Temporary business car insurance can be a great choice for your finances if you sometimes need to mix business with pleasure when you drive.
Car insurance group 7
Find out how much it might cost to insure a car in insurance group 7.
Classes of use: How they affect the cost of your car insurance
Find out what classes of use means in car insurance and how to choose the right one based on your individual circumstances.
Vauxhall Adam insurance group and cost
Find out the car insurance costs for a Vauxhall Adam based on the specific model version, the driver’s age and their location.
Suzuki Alto insurance group and cost
Find out the average cost of insurance in the UK for a Suzuki Alto based on the driver’s age and their location.
Car insurance group 8
Find out the list of cars in insurance group 8 and how much it might cost to insure them.
Car insurance group 10
Find out which cars are listed in insurance group 10 and how much it might cost to insure them.
Car insurance group 9
Find out the list of cars in insurance group 9 and how much it might cost to insure them.