Abbey Insurance car insurance review
Find out about car insurance offered through Abbey Insurance to see if it could get you a good rate - even if you've got points on your licence.
Are you struggling to find affordable car insurance because you’ve got points on your licence? If you’ve got a modified car, or a previous conviction, this Northern Ireland broker claims it’ll give you a decent rate.
Who is Abbey Insurance Insurance?
Abbey Insurance is a broker that provides car insurance as well home, travel, taxi, motorbike and van insurance.
It was established in 1973 and is one of the largest brokers in Northern Ireland, where it has branches.
What are Abbey Insurance’s levels of cover?
Third party cover is the minimum level of cover that Abbey Insurance offers. All drivers in the UK are legally obliged to have at least this insurance. If you are responsible for causing an accident, you’ll be covered for damage to third party vehicles or property. It won’t however, cover any damage to your own car.
Third party, fire and theft
This will give the same level of cover as third party but will also provide protection against any fire damage to your car or theft of your car.
This gives the same protection as the other levels as well as insuring your vehicle against accidental damage and vandalism. It can be cheaper than third party, or TPFT, so it’s always worth checking.
What is covered under my policy?
|Cover benefits||Third party||Third party, fire and theft||Comprehensive|
|Liability to other people||✓||✓||✓|
|Fire and theft||–||✓||✓|
Beyond the standard cover benefits above, any other benefits to your insurance policy will vary depending on the insurer that is able to provide the cover through Abbey Insurance.
Check your policy details carefully to ensure you have the right cover for your needs.
In addition to the standard levels of cover, Abbey Insurance can also provide a range of additional protection to add to your policy, including:
- 14-day replacement car cover
- Breakdown cover
- Motor legal cover
- Excess protection
- Keycare cover
- No-claims bonus protection
There are a few exclusions that Abbey Insurance has for its policies. Your cover is likely to become invalid if any of the following arises:
- Your car is being driven by an unnamed driver on your policy or by a person that does not have a valid driving licence.
- Your car is used for rallies, races or competitions.
- You fail to pay for your premium.
- You change your car during the policy term to a car that the insurer cannot cover.
- You do not provide the correct documents to support your application.
Check your policy for further details to confirm your cover is valid.
How to save on your car insurance policy through Abbey Insurance
- Check comprehensive. Contrary to what you might expect, comprehensive cover can be cheaper than third party (TP) or third party, fire and theft so it’s always worth checking. This is because of the risk profile of many people who get TP.
- Park securely. Cars kept in a garage or on a secure driveway are usually cheaper to insure.
- Reduce mileage. If you start working part-time or your long commute becomes much shorter, letting your insurer know about a reduction in your mileage could result in cheaper insurance.
- Increase the excess. Agreeing to pay a bigger voluntary excess could make your overall premium cheaper. But remember that your insurer won’t pay out for a claim that costs less than your excess. So be careful about making it too high, as it could leave you out of pocket if damage occurs.
- Pick a smaller car. Choosing to drive a small and safe car is likely to lower your premium.
What is my excess?
Your insurance excess is the amount of money you have agreed to pay towards a claim. Your insurer won’t pay out for a claim that costs less than your excess. A compulsory excess amount might vary depending on the age of your car and your driving experience.
A voluntary excess is normally an amount set by you when taking out a policy. You’ll have the option of adding or increasing a voluntary excess, which could in turn reduce your premium.
All Abbey Insurance policies include an excess and you’ll be able to find details about this in your policy document.
What is the claims process for Abbey Insurance Insurance?
Call the Abbey Insurance 24-hour accident and claims line on 08000 282 870 to make a claim.
Abbey Insurance recommends that you have the following to hand:
- Your broker reference number, which can be found on your confirmation of cover letter
- All details about the incident such as damage or injuries sustained and time, date and location
- Contact details of everyone involved such as third parties, passengers and witnesses
- Photographic evidence, if available
- Estimated value of the claim
It’s vital that you let your insurer know about an incident as soon as possible, even if it’s not your fault. Failure to do this could result in a rejected claim.
Frequently asked questions
Read more on this topic
John Lewis Finance car insurance review Find out the key details about John Lewis Finance car insurance in our review and compare quotes to get the right deal for you and your car.
InsureLearnerDriver discount codes You can save on expensive car insurance using our InsureLearnerDriver discount codes and vouchers.
Voided and cancelled car insurance Read our guide to understand why honesty is always the best policy to avoid your car insurance being voided or cancelled.
How car modifications affect insurance Before you pimp your ride, find out which modifications are likely to increase your insurance premiums and which ones will see your car cover fall.
Tax free cars Thinking about buying a new car? Read our guide first as you may find a way to avoid paying road tax altogether and save on your car insurance.
Specialist car insurance Read our guide to discover all the different types of specialist car insurance and find out if you can save on your car cover.
By Miles car insurance review By Miles offers pay-as-you-go car insurance for those who only drive occasionally.
Why is car insurance so expensive? Find out how to cut the cost of your car insurance without cutting any cover.
Instant car insurance See how you can get immediate cover and compare instant car insurance quotes now.
Cheap car insurance for new drivers over 30 See how car insurance works if you're over 30, and ways you can save as a new driver.